Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Talk about jacked up priorities

Old 05-30-2005, 05:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Talk about jacked up priorities

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapc.../corby.appeal/
"She could have received life in prison or the death penalty. The Associated Press cites a report by the state news agency Antara that prosecutors are planning to appeal the sentence, saying 20 years is too lenient."

wtf ?
Thoughts please...
Old 05-30-2005, 09:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Over nine pounds?! A fraction of that would surely carry a death penalty in Singapore and other less lenient countries. She's damn lucky she didn't get death.

I mean she may have been a victim of trafficking but I don't think she's fooling anyone with 9lbs. Does anyone here realize how much 9lbs is? If it isn't vacuum pressed together that much would fill an old cadillac trunk easily.

Does anyone know why she was headed to Bali anyways? Tough call if you ask me. It's either blatant ignorance to the law or being victim of the baggage handlers.

It is suspect that the drugs made it onto the plane but not so combining as to why there wasn't an immediate pick-up at the Indonesian terminal? Surely someone would be there to handle the drugs on that end, right?

Sucks. Take your spoiled brat Australian hippy *** to the Netherlands instead.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 toyota tacoma
she took the risk and got caught. sucks for her
Old 05-30-2005, 11:05 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Salty
Sucks. Take your spoiled brat Australian hippy *** to the Netherlands instead.
:rotfl:
I say cane her a$$ and extort some funds from the evil capitalist aussies(to fund islamic causes of course) and be done with it.

http://www.schapellecorby.com.au/newsblog/?page_id=5
In October 2004 Schapelle Corby set out with her family on a 10 day holiday in Bali to enjoy the beach and the surf.
http://www.antara.co.id/en/seenws/?id=4004

specific...
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...E28737,00.html
They harped on the lapses of Indonesian officials. They pointed out the examination of Corby's bag and the initial interrogation was not video-recorded or tape-recorded by police, and an official translator was not provided. Most important, they told the three judges in Denpasar District Court, the plastic sacks were not examined for fingerprints.

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 05-30-2005 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
And I don't think it's about jacked-up priorities. A lot of these southeastern Asian countries may have cutthroat laws but they actually payoff for them. The crime is absolutely minimal. You can eat of the ground in Singapore because it's so clean of litter for this very reason. If you have a few joints in your possession you’re considered a dealer and are basically ****ed. It’s death. Their military is even worse. Subaruguru and myself know a guy serving in their armed forces. He can’t fart without fearing punishment.

I think their society shows that this type of judicial system works in comparison to ours. The fact of the matter is that our judicial system is a joke to them. Mainly because it’s been so diluted by people that though meaningful punishment was “jacked-up.” I don’t think our system needs to be nearly as strict but it definitely needs to fall within a happy medium do be more effective.

But as far as her situation is concerned I don’t know what to say? Worse things have happened to those few percentages of people that were found guilty of a murder they didn’t commit. It’s a *****. Nobody said the judicial system was perfect.

Last edited by Salty; 05-30-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:37 PM
VIP Member

no doubt, it's not just s.e. asia though, I have family in saudi arabia who couldn't leave thier compound without a bhurka, and have witnessed public executions, severing of extremities, genetils and stonings of adultresses burried to thier neck in pits of gravel. Don't get me wrong, if you try something like that in a foriegn country you're defenitely not the brightest crayon in the box but I just don't think sparkling sidewalks are worth the lack of civil rights. Heck I've known people who have had items planted on them on vacation so they'd have to bribe the federales. I just think stories like this help us to appreciate the rights we enjoy and everything great about our country.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:44 PM
VIP Member

I think their society shows that this type of judicial system works in comparison to ours.
yeah but thier governments take the place of the criminals and are the equivilant of being run by the mafia. not a worthwhile tradeoff in my opinion. just look at russia, latin america, africa and just about every middle eastern country
Old 05-30-2005, 11:47 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
corrupt gov.

I think I remember reading/watching something about a prisoner exchange the Balinese Gov. is going to try and work out with the Australian Gov.

It might not be to far fetched to imagine that the Bali officials grabbed this chicks bag, stuffed these drugs into it, then hauled her *** in. Now they're going to sentence her to prison for life. Now they have some leverage in getting some of their people out of Australia.

I say - screw vacationing in 3rd world countries where human rights and life itslef have very little concern. Hell, the U.S. is a big place and I've only seen about 1/5 of it. I don't need to be flying all the way the hell out to some 3rd world country only to rot away in some dirty cell that nobody knows about.

I know,...I'm a little paranoid...
Old 05-30-2005, 11:50 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
I say - screw vacationing in 3rd world countries where human rights and life itslef have very little concern. Hell, the U.S. is a big place and I've only seen about 1/5 of it. I don't need to be flying all the way the hell out to some 3rd world country only to rot away in some dirty cell that nobody knows about.

At least you won't wake up in a bathtub full of ice.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:56 PM
VIP Member

Americans don't really even need to go to foriegn countries for a good vacation, we've got hawaii, p.r., samoa, alaska, and guam. Wich brings up another point, why would you go on a family surfing trip in indonesia when you live in australia? It'd be like wanting to go skiing on the east coast if you lived in aspen or tahoe.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:03 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop

Hahah my wife is from a 3rd world country, and she WILL NOT leave the states for anything.... We are spoiled wrotten here in the US, and I hope it stays that way.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:07 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
9 lbs is about 9 gallon ziploc bags full just for reference. I think that's a little stiff of a penalty but then again that is normal to them. All I can say is that America would be a lot different if it handed out those sentences.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:20 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
All I can say is that America would be a lot different if it handed out those sentences.

I hope you mean different in a horrible, tortuous, facist way.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:22 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
I think their society shows that this type of judicial system works in comparison to ours. The fact of the matter is that our judicial system is a joke to them. Mainly because it’s been so diluted by people that though meaningful punishment was “jacked-up.” I don’t think our system needs to be nearly as strict but it definitely needs to fall within a happy medium do be more effective.

The thing is, we don't see how many false convictions they get because they kill them before the truth can come out. Here, we may have some guilty aquitals but we have very very few false convictions. I personally see that as better.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:30 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by MVWRX
I hope you mean different in a horrible, tortuous, facist way.
I'll be honest. I don't have a problem with weed. I don't smoke it but it doesn't bother me when others do. It's equivalently as bad for you as a cigarette and better than alcohol. The only reason it's illegal is because it makes to much of the damn population happy which reverts me back to my theory on life. Do it today because tomorrow it might be illegal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Talk about jacked up priorities