Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Spank your child, go to jail.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Spank your child, go to jail.

WTF is this douche thinking? First of all she has no children of her own. Second of all I'm getting tired of this "it takes a village to raise a child" mentality. This continued push to Marxist ideology is just plain F'd up. By looking at her web page she legislates right out of the teachings of Marx. There are already laws on the books protecting children from abuse. She states it's not clearly defined that is why we NEED this new piece of legislation. What a waste of tax payer dollars. I hate that no matter where I go I have to deal with BS representation.
Just another letter to a legislator I'll never hear back from. Oh well.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...AGE2NLGQD1.DTL
http://www.kcra.com/news/10788630/detail.html

Last edited by ipozestu; 01-19-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:45 AM

Car Info: 93 Subaru Impreza L
Article? Link? Did I miss something???
Old 01-19-2007, 08:48 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
While I hate the idea of the gov't telling us how to raise our children, parents that spank are in serious need of taking a parenting class.

BTW, did you forget the letter, link, etc?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
It really is a waste. How exactly is it enforced?

Maybe if you're at a Dunkin’ Donuts and a cop just so happens to see you spank your child. And even then the cop will have a conscience debate on whether or not intervention is appropriate despite the law. They have no other way of enforcing this.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:08 PM
VIP Member

"I think we ought to have a law against beating children," said Assemblywoman Sally Lieber, D-Mountain View.
This is key. The debate on whether a fine line exists between a disciplinary spank and beating. Laws already exist against beating children. And even those laws aren't immediately enforceable unless a child just so happens to be taking a hot iron to the hand from daddy in the appliances section.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:13 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
My home town of Mountain View!

Is spanking beating? Hmm...I'll answer that after I try to raise a child...
Old 01-19-2007, 12:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
as an abused child, I think anyone that lays a painful hand on a child should go to jail. You are absolutely a horrible parent/person if you must resort to violence to get your child to "behave." And yes, spanking is violence, you cannot argue your way out of it
Old 01-19-2007, 12:43 PM
VIP Member

I completely disagree. Spanking is not violence, discipline and abuse are different. You have to be able to see where this is going/been going to comprehend the argument.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:46 PM
VIP Member

I'm afraid that peace of mind logic doesnt stand too well. spanking is a means of discipline through causing pain. If it didn't cause pain it wouldnt have any leverage against your child.

pain is violence. You are a horrible parent if you must resort to pain/violence. Its is also a well known fact that positive reinforcement is the best way to mold behavior. If spanking worked, you wouldn't have to do it repeatedly

Spanking and other "physical discipline" techniques do nothing except made the child afraid of the parent doing it.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 01-19-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:09 PM
VIP Member

How do you teach a child what hot feels like if he/she never gets burned. It's like teaching a blind person what the color blue looks like. Can't be done. Now if you touch a stove and burn yourself, you likely will not do that again. If a child can associate wrong doing with a spank, will they do it again. I'm not say you should whack your kid at every given moment. I will tell you the only punishment I feared when I was a kid, was "your gonna get the [insert weapon here]. You couldn't phase me with a "no don't do that"
Old 01-19-2007, 01:20 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ipozestu
How do you teach a child what hot feels like if he/she never gets burned. It's like teaching a blind person what the color blue looks like. Can't be done. Now if you touch a stove and burn yourself, you likely will not do that again. If a child can associate wrong doing with a spank, will they do it again. I'm not say you should whack your kid at every given moment. I will tell you the only punishment I feared when I was a kid, was "your gonna get the [insert weapon here]. You couldn't phase me with a "no don't do that"
In theory that should work. However, it doesn't. I'm telling you this from personal experience. Im not quoting a text book or anything. The only thing spanking did to me was make me fear my dad when I was a child. The only behavior it molds for most kids is teach them how to do what they want without getting caught. Would you rather have a kid that acts like a kid, is not afraid of you, and will have a healthy relationship with you when older, or would you rather have a kid that has been forced to act like a mature adult and be afraid that whatever they do, may result in pain, and in the future not want anything to do with their parents?

I honestly feel that causing pain to a child is a good way to mold behavior.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:24 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MBasile
I'm afraid that peace of mind logic doesnt stand too well. spanking is a means of discipline through causing pain. If it didn't cause pain it wouldnt have any leverage against your child.

pain is violence. You are a horrible parent if you must resort to pain/violence. Its is also a well known fact that positive reinforcement is the best way to mold behavior. If spanking worked, you wouldn't have to do it repeatedly

Spanking and other "physical discipline" techniques do nothing except made the child afraid of the parent doing it.

I'm sorry you were abused. I was spanked once in a blue moon and will never spank my children. But to suggest one is a horrible parent because he or she spanks his or her child is insane. I would agree with you if a parent took spanking too far or used it whenever they thought disciplinary was necessary when other avenues existed. You and I both know this type... the parent that spanks his/her child to the point they're hysterical in a public place. Imagine what they do behind closed doors. This is wrong.

My parents spanked my hands and butt maybe a handful of times a year. I remembered never to do what I was in trouble for ever again. I turned out to be a good kid. Never did drugs, never snuck out at night, got straight As. I have had an extremely close relationship with my parents my entire life. They're great parents.

Maybe i'm confused? I would tend to agree with you more if you substituted "parent" with "parenting." Is this what you meant? If no, define spanking...

Last edited by Salty; 01-19-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:29 PM
VIP Member

I say they are a horrible parent because there are other ways of disciplining a child and molding behavior. Yet a parent that spank has gone to the seemingly easiest way. There are much better ways that also do not cause pain
Old 01-19-2007, 01:37 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MBasile
I say they are a horrible parent because there are other ways of disciplining a child and molding behavior. Yet a parent that spank has gone to the seemingly easiest way. There are much better ways that also do not cause pain
Okay, so you're saying their methods of parenting for that particular scenario are horrible, not necessarily the parent.

If you disagree with the above statement you’re false. I already proved through my experiences as a child that I consider my parents to be great parents despite them spanking me once in a blue moon. I would wager my relationship with my parents then and now is far stronger than most between parents and their children.

Last edited by Salty; 01-19-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:04 PM
VIP Member

I'm right there with Salty, I used to get my rear kicked all the time, I was not a good kid by any means. My grandmother had a hard wood polenta spoon, more like a paddle, she used to whack us with. My dad, the belt, hard wood dowel rods. My mom, hand, kitchen spoons, books, what ever was handy.
I am completely at peace with my family, I hold nothing against any of them. We talk maybe 3+ times a week. I recall saying to myself "I'm going to get into trouble for this" I knew what that meant. Call it ADD or what ever. IMO kids are pampered enough. If I had any idea how hard life really was, I'd have stayed home and taken a blister on the bum anyday.

Quick Reply: Spank your child, go to jail.