Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

so if dr3's facism post didn't sink in, consider this:

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 05:34 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
so if dr3's facism post didn't sink in, consider this:

Beware of Following in Rome’s footsteps.

Rome – That bastion of democracy and shining light of freedom and culture! Rome, once ruler of the known Western world; Rome – the republic; Rome – the empire. But where is Rome now? Oh, the city is still there, in Italy. Remnants of the great culture are still there for us to see. But I am speaking of the political institution of Rome.

Some will argue that the new Rome is the United States. It is not a far stretch of the imagination to see why they make this analogy. For one thing, our system of government was envisioned and created by the Founding Fathers based on earlier models of government in Greece and Rome.

Few people will disagree the influence Rome had on the known world, and the parallels with our own government are quite apparent. Yet, one must also take into account Rome’s darker history and the parallels we share.

Rome started out as a republic. Though the actual origin of Rome is shrouded in myth, the republic began to flourish on the foundations of democracy (Perhaps, not as we know it entirely, as, for example, women weren’t regarded with the same equal status as men, and slavery was an accepted institution). And yet, is this not how the United States began?

Let us jump several hundred years into the future – Rome’s future, that is. The time is several years after the “Birth of Christ”. A time traveler from Rome’s past will no longer recognize his once humble republic. Rome is now fully consumed in a march to empire and world domination.

“They are either with us, or against us” is a common Roman theme. Seeing a threat or potential threat from its neighbors, Rome begins a series of conquests to pacify any country or people that dare threaten its existence. Of course the notion that any such people could threaten an empire as vast as Rome is bordering on the absurd; Nevertheless, this was the belief shared by the rulers at the time.

Perhaps a dialogue in the Roman senate would have gone something like this: “My fellow Romans, we are faced with a great threat to our very existence. As we speak, enemies of Rome are plotting against us; against our beautiful and free democracy. We can no longer remain silent and wait for them to destroy all that we stand for. I therefore authorize a pre-emptive action against our enemies. We will not falter, we will not fail – we will be victorious.”

Of course, the problem with pre-emption and military adventures is two-fold. Once engaged in a concept of preventative war, one must continue to pour all resources into this endeavor; it is a “crossing of the Rubicon” so to speak. And that leads us to the second situation, that being the finite nature of resources themselves.

A Roman legion stationed in the Iberian peninsula needs to be supported and fed, as does one stationed in the British Isles, along with several regions in the northern/central Europe. More money is needed, more taxes are levied – more money is coined. And all the while, the people who have been subjugated grow, learn and become more adept and skilled. These “Barbarians” learn of the strengths and weaknesses of the invading forces.

As those who studied history know, Rome, with all its glory and grandeur, and superior unstoppable military, eventually fell. The very same roads that Rome built were used by the so-called “Barbarians” to invade and destroy Rome.

There are many people who choose to ignore or give only superficial attention to history. As the cliché phrase we are all familiar with goes, however: “Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it”.

Are we living in the new Rome? Are we not heeding the warnings and examples of history? Who are we labeling as Barbarians now? Is this truly a wise course of action that we are on?

All Empires will eventually fall; that is the nature of things. The question is, when and how? We would be wise to study Rome and learn from its lessons.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:50 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
The differnce between the United States and Rome is that we are not an empire. We do not claim sovereignty over peoples who have not willingly subjected themselves to it. The "occupation" of Iraq is already on its way to ending. The Iraqi government better get some life preservers, because come next year, I would wager that it will be sink or swim. We'll be cutting the cords that hold up our supposed puppet state, and we'll see if it has legs of its own.

Anyways, all I keep learning from these threads is that Random Thoughts needs a new forum. Know that I am in favor of it and working towards it.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:53 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Oh no the dreaded USA empire of the world </sarcasm>

If it was such a problem thousands of people wouldn't move here.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
The differnce between the United States and Rome is that we are not an empire.
Rome was a representitive democracy for about 200 years before it became an empire.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:31 PM

Right. 215 years and counting for us (from the ratification of the Constitution, which makes us a democratic republic, and not from the Declaration of Independence, which makes us a sovereign nation) and we're still not an empire. There are no unwilling participants in American democracy.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
what about perto rico?

what about foregin embassies? what about...

and i dont think the US is EXACTLY like hte roman empire but i do see evidence socialy of the same issues that lead to the down fall of the empire.

For instance our facination with sports and entertainment, no other culture in the world is like american culture in that regards, some of our most irch and famous people are entertainers. What does that say about our culture? How many nobel prize winners can the common man name? How many Former presidents and world leaders can the common american name? For gods sakes how many countries does hte common american know?

Now ask your self this, how many common americans know that britney is getting married? or that jlo is a tramp with 0912091 ex husbands? How many americans know more about jlo and afflecks relationship then they did?

Get my point?
Old 07-12-2004, 06:57 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
what about perto rico?

and i dont think the US is EXACTLY like hte roman empire but i do see evidence socialy of the same issues that lead to the down fall of the empire.

For instance our facination with sports and entertainment, no other culture in the world is like american culture in that regards, some of our most irch and famous people are entertainers. What does that say about our culture? How many nobel prize winners can the common man name? How many Former presidents and world leaders can the common american name? For gods sakes how many countries does hte common american know?

Now ask your self this, how many common americans know that britney is getting married? or that jlo is a tramp with 0912091 ex husbands? How many americans know more about jlo and afflecks relationship then they did?

Get my point?
Seems we have more TV here than any other place in the world too

solution get rid of all tv's americans forced to read the paper for now on
Old 07-12-2004, 07:01 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Seems we have more TV here than any other place in the world too

solution get rid of all tv's americans forced to read the paper for now on

funny you say that i happen to be wearing this shirt as we speak

Old 07-12-2004, 07:10 PM

what about perto rico?

What about Puerto Rico? Why don't we hold yet another special vote to see if they're tired of being a US protectorate? Don't forget Guam and the others.

For instance our facination with sports and entertainment, no other culture in the world is like american culture in that regards, some of our most irch and famous people are entertainers. What does that say about our culture?
Odd thing for a soccer fan to say...

Get my point?
Yes, if the point is that American's lives are so comfortable and devoid of actual hazards that they have nothing better to do than bull**** about people who are well-known for being well-known. But I don't see what that proves about fascism and imperialism.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:11 PM
VIP Member

hey i cant help it its geneticly encoded into me to have to watch and support the brasilian seleciao!
(our national team)

ever read a brave new world?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:11 PM

funny you say that i happen to be wearing this shirt as we speak

Why is your heroin syringe in your microwave?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:12 PM
VIP Member

i like it at body temp.. haha
Old 07-12-2004, 07:12 PM

hey i cant help it its geneticly encoded into me to have to watch and support the brasilian seleciao!
(our national team)
Brazil! Those are the ugliest, most socially constipated, and racist people on earth! Everybody knows that!

ever read a brave new world?
No. Can I borrow your copy?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:14 PM
VIP Member

um if you want to sure thing. i think i have two the orginal and the expanded edition.

they might be in davis still i will have to pick them up on thursday.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:15 PM

um if you want to sure thing. i think i have two the orginal and the expanded edition.

they might be in davis still i will have to pick them up on thursday.
Good. Now bring it out to a meet, Mr I-can-make-fun-of-you-all-because-you-never-see-me-in-person.

Quick Reply: so if dr3's facism post didn't sink in, consider this: