Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Should Pot be legal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 09:53 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Should Pot be legal?

The Federal Gov't says, "NO!"
Californians said, "YES!...for medical reasons only."

Some of you from the greater Sacramento & Bay Area may have heard of the various "Pot Clubs" in California where patients, with a presciption, can legally obtain & use pot.
This last week, Richard Marino had his plants cut down & his "club" raided by DEA agents. His son was held at gun-point.

The question is simple:

Why should pot be legal?

I'll start off with saying that pot should be legal...treated no differently than alcohol.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:53 PM

Absolutely yes. It makes you stupid but it's none of the government's business what we smoke or eat or drink or shoot up.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Yes... then we can tax the bejeezus out of it. Pot smokers likely wouldn't mind as it would still be cheaper than the underground ish is now.

-Chris
Old 09-13-2004, 07:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by Oaf
I'll start off with saying that pot should be legal...treated no differently than alcohol.
I agree 100%.

I believe it could settle a lot of our problems via high tariffs, tax and management.

Just pot (and maybe shrooms) though... the rest should be illegal as far as I’m concerned.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:18 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
I agree 100%.

I believe it could settle a lot of our problems via high tariffs, tax and management.

Just pot (and maybe shrooms) though... the rest should be illegal as far as I’m concerned.

Werd. You could sell a pack of blunts for $50 bucks and they would go like hotcakes, and given the amount of pot smokers in this country, which is a good 35% over what anyone would guess, it would be quite good for our economy. The fact that alchohol is totally legal and weed isn't is forever going to be a mystery to me. Other than alchohol is a depressant and weed is a psychoactive/depressant/stimulant/magical mystery bush.
Even if it was legal i'd still not smoke it, but for christs sake when are people going to realize that its not worth sending people to jail for?
Old 09-13-2004, 10:00 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Yes... then we can tax the bejeezus out of it. Pot smokers likely wouldn't mind as it would still be cheaper than the underground ish is now.

-Chris
The tax revenue argument only works if you assume it is illegal to grow it, but not possess it. Pot is far easier to grow than beer is to brew or liquor is to distill.

Even with minimal incremental tax revenue, the economic affect would be quite large - you would no longer be spending money enforcing the prohibition, you would free up prison space and you would no longer be incarcerating people which hold jobs and pay their taxes.

The only rational argument I've heard in favor of illegal dope is that it is more difficult to prove if a person is under the influence of the stuff when they get pulled over.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:14 AM

Car Info: 98 RS
this is a topic that does not need to be discussed anymore. Smoke weed if you like and use disearnment.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:40 AM

this is a topic that does not need to be discussed anymore. Smoke weed if you like and use disearnment.
Werd, i think we are all on the same page here - we could bring helladumb out of his carbonite shell and get him to fight it, but....meh, whats the use - salty's back, we have him to keep us occupied and at least it's intelligent useless banter.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:52 AM

Wouldn't be any need for taxes. It's a weed. You can grow it in a pot on your back porch and have enough to smoke for months.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:02 PM

It's a weed. You can grow it in a pot on your back porch and have enough to smoke for months.
Yeah, but if that principle worked then there would be no, say, tomato market. If people are lazy enough NOT to grow their own, then tax 'em! Sadly, i don't think the government would allow people to grow it, because it would cut in on their tax. Just like people who are running vegetable oil cars are getting nabbed for "tax evasion".
Old 09-13-2004, 12:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by constellation
Yeah, but if that principle worked then there would be no, say, tomato market. If people are lazy enough NOT to grow their own, then tax 'em! Sadly, i don't think the government would allow people to grow it, because it would cut in on their tax. Just like people who are running vegetable oil cars are getting nabbed for "tax evasion".
Thank you, Constellation, you took the words right out of my mouth.

-Chris
Old 09-13-2004, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Although I gave up a daily smoking habit about four years ago, I am all for legalization.

But I cant imagine it happening. With the draconian War on Drugs, our govt can subjectively incarcerate a whole butt-load of people. Incarceration is big business... and those bastards have some hefty lobbyists puoshing for more and more jails (where are all the new schools one might ask?)

Furthermore, if pot were legal, law officials would lose their footing when it came to home / car searches, property seizure, and myriad other things.

While these statements might seem outrageous to some, few can argue that it does not deserve to be classified as a Scedule I drug... that is simply rediculous

Last edited by dub2w; 09-13-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:36 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
The worst part about the fact that pot is illegal is the original reason for it being illegal; it was a way for the gov't to pick on minority groups (African Americans in the Jazz movement first, then immegrant Mexican laborors later). Now it's illegal for the same reason we've never had a non-christian president...it just is. What's funny to me is that, even though punishments are higher, cocaine is less illegal than pot because it's still used as an anestethic in eye surgeries. California and a few other states are on the right track in terms of the reefer, but I'm affraid the Governator, BushJr, and the whole GOP-is-cool-again thing will set the cause back...check out www.NORML.org for more good info about pot and how YOU can help the cause hehehe.
BTW, props to Salty for being a pro-pot Republican...
Old 09-13-2004, 03:03 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
wow, one thing we can all agree on! who'da thunk it possible?
Old 09-13-2004, 04:41 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by psoper
wow, one thing we can all agree on! who'da thunk it possible?
See, not all right-leaning folks are nuts.

Quick Reply: Should Pot be legal?