Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Science makes famous athiest believe in God

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 11:32 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Science makes famous athiest believe in God

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=315976

tidbit:
"At age 81, after decades of insisting belief is a mistake, Antony Flew has concluded that some sort of intelligence or first cause must have created the universe. A super-intelligence is the only good explanation for the origin of life and the complexity of nature, Flew said in a telephone interview from England."

I wonder if knowing he's about to meet his maker impacted his beliefs. He is an old fart.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=315976

tidbit:
"At age 81, after decades of insisting belief is a mistake, Antony Flew has concluded that some sort of intelligence or first cause must have created the universe. A super-intelligence is the only good explanation for the origin of life and the complexity of nature, Flew said in a telephone interview from England."

I wonder if knowing he's about to meet his maker impacted his beliefs. He is an old fart.
That's a possibility especially if he made a turn for bad health recently (who knows). But why 81? Why not 79 when he was still old enough to die at any time?
Old 12-28-2004, 11:59 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Look at the banner...how ironic!

Old 12-28-2004, 12:15 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
"I'm thinking of a God very different from the God of the Christian and far and away from the God of Islam, because both are depicted as omnipotent Oriental despots, cosmic Saddam Husseins," he said.

I don't think he really expects to "meet his maker" only that he acknowledging that there is a chance that there is some cosmic force beyond probability- certainly well beyond human understanding, behind the universe.

A deist would still pretty much be an athiest in the eyes of you fundie/evangelical types who think God is a vengeful man with a big beard who will send you to hell if you aren't a good christian american.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:25 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
Most scientists are agnostic, as it would be foolish to discount somthing without sufficient evidence otherwise. I'm no christian, but i'm certainly open to the idea of there being a higher power - however, organized religion is a joke - and with just a TINY bit of cultural study it become apparent where, how, and why the mythology exists and what it references. So, take that tally off your holy scorecard hella, you didn't gain a scientist.

A super-intelligence is the only good explanation for the origin of life and the complexity of nature
What a cop out. It's funny how we assume that because we can't possibly understand the complexity of nature, it is intelligent design. So sad. It's the only GOOD explination because its the only explanation us idiot humans can wrap our minds around.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
[/QUOTE]A deist would still pretty much be an athiest in the eyes of you fundie/evangelical types who think God is a vengeful man with a big beard who will send you to hell if you aren't a good christian american[QUOTE]

Ummmm ok, I really don't think you're talking about anyone here. I consider myself a christian, and my god is a forgiving god who wants everyone to be the best and most tolerant person that they can be. I suggest that the offended athiests get thier *** out of starbucks and learn a little bit about the people that they despise so much.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:52 PM

I consider myself a christian, and my god is a forgiving god who wants everyone to be the best and most tolerant person that they can be. I suggest that the offended athiests get thier *** out of starbucks and learn a little bit about the people that they despise so much.
You've never read the bible, have you? Have you only had it selectivley read to you? Your god is portrayed as both throughout the entire bible - so don't assume that your interpretation is the correct one. I suggest you study the history of the bible a little bit, you may learn a little bit about it - and maybe see some simularities between it and the religions it swallowed. Remember how the romans stole the greek gods and renamed them?
Don't you think its funny that most of our religious holidays are pasted directly over pagan ones?
Old 12-28-2004, 01:33 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by constellation
You've never read the bible, have you? Have you only had it selectivley read to you? Your god is portrayed as both throughout the entire bible - so don't assume that your interpretation is the correct one. I suggest you study the history of the bible a little bit, you may learn a little bit about it - and maybe see some simularities between it and the religions it swallowed. Remember how the romans stole the greek gods and renamed them?
Don't you think its funny that most of our religious holidays are pasted directly over pagan ones?
Do you take the bible literally? I don't, It was written two thousand years ago in a language nobody even speaks anymore. You don't know me, I probably know alot more than you think, don't assume I don't, so If you're just trying to flame me because you don't agree with what I say or just like to argue, I suggest you stop. This is why conservatives use the "liberal elitist" talking point, you guys think that anyone who doesn't agree with you is an un educated, intolerant, closed minded, inbread, fool.

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 12-28-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:49 PM

Do you take the bible literally?
There is a HUGE amount of americans that do, or that think they do. But, where do you draw the line? If one thing is obviously crap, where do you decide that somthing is not? Do you draw that line yourself?
Old 12-28-2004, 01:52 PM
VIP Member

Humans have a little thing called a concience, watch pinoccio and I'm sure jimmeny cricket will tell you a little about it. If someone doesn't know right from wrong than they're obviously insane or a sociopath. To tell you the truth I don't know anyone who takes the blble literally(word for word), and my family is roman catholic. You don't have to believe in god to be a good person and anyone who tells you opposite is intolerant.

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 12-28-2004 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:52 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
Was it Einstien that said he doesn't dispute how god exists he just wants to know how he did it?