Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Is Schiavo a veg? Tell us what you think.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:48 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
I do not have a lot of time right now but, here is my opinion.

Both of my parents are doctors, and I had dinner with them last night and we got onto this case. My origional view what that the plug should be pulled, but talking with them made me believe this even more.

Mrs. Shible was dead when her brain lost enough blood to destroy brain-cells. Her life can NEVER be better, and she has no internal thought process that can decide one way or another. She cannot, and will not be able to talk, walk, eat on her own, or even live a semi-normal life. Her brain at this point only serves as something that tells her to breathe and to make her heart move more. Pulling the plug now is no diffrent than doing that in many years. She does not know that she is starving to death, and for her it is a peaceful way to die. She is in a persistant vigitative state, and will never be better, and due to this there is no reason to keep family bickering over something that won't get better. The mother and father say therapy could make her better, but that is very very unlikely. Her brain was so greatly distroyed, that it is nearly impossible for her to come back at all. To put it bluntly, and completely non-sympathecically: She is a breathing, barely living, barely moving rock (sorry for the harshness).
-Jeff
Old 03-29-2005, 07:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
I sincerely wish I could trade places with her...but I can't. She should die and end her suffering.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:20 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by Imprezastifan88
Both of my parents are doctors....
-Jeff
Not to knock what they are saying, but are they neurologists? Even if so, have they seen all of the medical evidence? It sounds to me like they are just repeating the medical opinion on ONE side of the aisle.

Not to knock the profession in general, but doctors and the meds they prescribe are one of the leading causes of death for people in this country... so I take the "trust, but verify approach" with them.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
It sounds to me like they are just repeating the medical opinion on ONE side of the aisle.
Please Mr. Dumb show us the other side of the aisle.....I have yet to see anything but neurologist after neurologist say that she is in a constant vegatative state.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
Please Mr. Dumb show us the other side of the aisle.....I have yet to see anything but neurologist after neurologist say that she is in a constant vegatative state.
So you've been listening to Dr. Stewart Smalley Again?
http://alfrankenweb.com/

Edit: ..ok here's one of many out there, this one from USATODAY:

"Other medical authorities say a case like Schiavo's is more difficult to analyze because researchers don't have a complete idea of what a vegetative patient might feel"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...scomfort_x.htm

Last edited by HellaDumb; 03-30-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:50 AM
VIP Member

So you've been listening to Dr. Stewart Smalley Again?
http://alfrankenweb.com/

If I get a chance I will post you some links..
I will be anxiously awaiting
Old 03-30-2005, 11:06 AM

Look up /\ /\ /\
Old 03-30-2005, 11:22 AM
VIP Member

A good article about whether or not she is feeling pain although you could go either side of the hedge with it. A few christian doctors say that she is feeling pain and a organization that represents hospices around the nation say that it is a painless death.

Not that convincing, Hella

Then there is this

In a recent New England Journal of Medicine study, hospice nurses rated the deaths of terminally ill people who voluntarily stopped eating and drinking. On a scale of zero to nine, with the highest number being "a very good death," their average rating was eight.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:36 AM

Not that convincing, Hella

Then there is this:
In a recent New England Journal of Medicine study, hospice nurses rated the deaths of terminally ill people who voluntarily stopped eating and drinking. On a scale of zero to nine, with the highest number being "a very good death," their average rating was eight.
So does "a good death" tell you ANYTHING about the amount of pain felt or how much pain medicine was used for those who voluntarily chose death?

How is that convincing?

My point is simply that Schiavo cannot communicate pain, whether she feels it or not. At least dope her up just in case.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:41 AM
VIP Member

So does "a good death" tell you ANYTHING about the amount of pain felt or how much pain medicine was used for those who voluntarily chose death?

How is that convincing?

My point is simply that Schiavo cannot communicate pain, whether she feels it or not. At least dope her up just in case.
Which they are doing so you can rest easy. They have been giving her morphine for about 5 days I think.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:17 PM

Which they are doing so you can rest easy. They have been giving her morphine for about 5 days I think.
Aw, didn't know that. Well they wouldn't use morphine unless there was some debate as to whether or not she was feeling pain, but that's good indeed.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:40 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
I work in a neurology lab at Stanford with about 12 neurologists. They all agree...Schiavo can't feel anything. The biggest evidence? Her EEG is FLAT! Every living animal has EEG activity. A 1 day old mouse has HUGE spike wave activity when touched gently or when you put your hand in front of them. Schiavo's EEG has absolutely 0 spike wave activity no matter what the stimulus. That evidence basically screams in the face of any neurologist that she has NO voluntary brain function, she has NO physical feeling, and she has NO cognition/memory. Period.

Last edited by MVWRX; 03-30-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
One question: if she doesn't feel pain than why eare they giving her morphine?
Old 03-30-2005, 02:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
This sounds ****ed up but, maybe a doctor should've punched her in the face to see how she would react.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:26 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
This sounds ****ed up but, maybe a doctor should've punched her in the face to see how she would react.
Hmmmmmm Interesting....I bet no one thought of that.

But I am sure they did numerous pain tests like the pinches and stuff like that. I just know that almost every neurologist says she feels no pain. That, that part of her brain was destroyed and has since been replaced by cerebro-spinal fluid. There was grey matter where the cortex used to be it is now CSF.....The only doctors that contend otherwise are the Christian activist doctors. (not knocking Christian activist doctors) just haven't heard of any MD that says otherwise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Schiavo a veg? Tell us what you think.