Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Republicans: Do you agree with the religous right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Republicans: Do you agree with the religous right?

Do you? On issues such as:
-Prayer in schools
-Gay rights
-Abortion

I know a lot of republicans here believe strongly in the "war" and "econonmic" sides of the republican party, but I do not know how you feel when it comes to the religous issues. Do you believe that America is on a morally corrupt path as many religous right people believe? I"m interested as I myself have very little against the rest of the republican party. In fact I am a fiscal conservative, but only vote democrat because I fear the religous part of the republican party gaining too much power in congress. Can't wait to hear your opinions.
-Jeff
Old 04-25-2005, 05:42 PM

Not a Republican but I'm bored and sometimes vote for Republicans so I will answer.
- As a teacher I don't have a problem if a kid wants to pray. I'd ask him to do it during a break but if he has a compelling reason to do it during class, good times.
- Gay rights. They already have all the same rights the rest of us do, and I support keeping it that way.
- Abortion - not unless there is a medical reason. It's way too close to murder. I'd like to see morning-after pill dispensers next to every fire alarm though.
- War and Economic sides - I'd like to see the federal government staying out of other countries, out of the economy, and pretty much out of our lives as much as possible.

Last edited by FUNKED1; 04-25-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:03 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Interesting view on abortion...just to point out though, if you think abortion of a fetus is murder, how is it defferent if you're just not letting said fetus stick to the womb and therefore killing it (which is how morning after pills work). If a person believes that the baby is alive as soon as the sperm fertilizes the egg, the morning after pill is the same thing as a 1st trimester abortion.

On another note, are there any self-proclamed republicans on this site? Or even any democrats? It seems to me we are all in agreement that the two parties in our country are myred in a fog of self-dilusion and have lost touch with the real world.

Last edited by MVWRX; 04-25-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:23 PM

Yeah it prevents implantation, just like the standard birth control pill.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:38 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by MVWRX
On another note, are there any self-proclamed republicans on this site? Or even any democrats? It seems to me we are all in agreement that the two parties in our country are myred in a fog of self-dilusion and have lost touch with the real world.
I'm a registered republican for a reason.
Do any of you actually know what the Republican Party Platform is?
I agree with what the party's platform should be doing... not so much what Bush (who acts like a liberal democrat compared to Reagan) is doing. No child left behind, social security, and health-care? Give me a break. All of those are big government agendas.

As far as abortion, I agree that only when there is risk to the mother.
Prayer in schools should be limited to silent time (silent individual prayer, unless it's a religious school), and we should recite the Pledge with "under God" because of the God-centric significance of our history.

Gay rights? Civil unions are fine. How 'bout polygamist rights?

This is why I'm a republican:

Republican Oath (from gop.com)

I'm a Republican Because...

I BELIEVE the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each person’s dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored.

I BELIEVE in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability.

I BELIEVE free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity.

I BELIEVE government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn.

I BELIEVE the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations and that the best government is that which governs least.

I BELIEVE the most effective, responsible and responsive government is government closest to the people.

I BELIEVE Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times.

I BELIEVE Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world.

FINALLY, I believe the Republican Party is the best vehicle for translating these ideals into positive and successful principles of government.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 04-25-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:30 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
I don't consider myself hardcore republican, but I'm registered republican because I agree with them more than I do with the democrats.
-prayer in schools: fine by me, but I don't think it should be a "school activity" that is, staff members shouldn't be leading the kids in prayer or trying to convince them that they should or shouldn't be praying, it's an individual choice to be made. that having been said, I go to a Lutheran college, and we pray before most university events.

-gay rights: I really don't want to know about other peoples' sex lives unless I'm involved in them . . . my roommate was gay, and while I didn't have a problem with that in itself, the fact that I felt it was encroaching upon my personal space did bother me, however, I see no reason to discriminate against him because of that. it really wasn't any different than if he'd have played annoying music extremely loud.

-abortion: again, personal choice. although, I do have a problem with people who see it as an acceptible form of birth control in place of more tradition methods (ie: condoms, pill)
Old 04-25-2005, 09:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I'm actually rather liberal on these issues. By liberal I mean to each their own, not **** and moan until I get my way and ruin it for everyone else. I don't think prayer should be eliiminated but I think it should be allowed. Just skip over "under God" if it's that important to you. This is mainly why I am a moderate conservative. I am not against the right to abortion but I am firmly against the idea beyond anything else. Unless bebe forced himself on her.

Last edited by Salty; 04-25-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
I BELIEVE Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world.
On second thought, I'd like us to get out of the World Cop bit for a while... or at least let other countries foot more of the bill.

There should be a ROI for any action.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:49 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by Imprezastifan88
Do you? On issues such as:
-Prayer in schools
No praying of type. POA better be said and if your "religion" prohibits saying it, keep your mouth shut.

-Gay rights
What rights do I have that a homosexual doesn't? But, yes, everyone treated the same/afforded the same rights.
This means no AA for any of the whining groups

-Abortion
If you want one, fine. If you don't, fine. But please don't insult me when you claim abortion isn't ending a life, which at least is homocide.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:05 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Originally Posted by HellaDumb

Republican Oath (from gop.com)

I'm a Republican Because...

I BELIEVE the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each person’s dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored.

I BELIEVE in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability.

I BELIEVE free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity.

I BELIEVE government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn.

I BELIEVE the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations and that the best government is that which governs least.

I BELIEVE the most effective, responsible and responsive government is government closest to the people.

I BELIEVE Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times.

FINALLY, I believe the Republican Party is the best vehicle for translating these ideals into positive and successful principles of government.
See, I believe in those values, but I do not feel that the republican party at this time is abiding by that "oath".

Fiscal responsibility? Hah thats a joke at this point in the administration and with this congress. There are some fiscal conservatives in congress, and some republicans I agree with (i.e. John McCain) but overall this administration is not fiscally responsible to say the least. I wouldn't mind a tax cut but at a time of a recesion and war it is completely irresponsible. Furthermore, our deficit is HUGE (and has grown a ton during this administration) and I have seen very few legitimate attemps by congress/the administration to fix this.

Spreading freedom? Good idea and I would be in support of giving support to countries who are trying to create freedom themselves. However, I do not support just going into countries to create freedom. I feel that the country must fight for their freedom to truely know what it is.

Best government governs least? I feel this is good, though I will not say that I am completely tied to this ideal. Once again, the republican party of today is not excercising this AT ALL. Social security, no child left behind, medicare: all greatly increasing government. In the last few years under this administration the government has grown by 10%/year. That too me is not holding to republican ideals.

I voted for Kerry in the last election because I felt that the two canidates were on a equal playing field when it comes to economics (neither were very good) and because I agreed with him on the social and forign issues. If a republican canidate comes along that is not strongly tied to the religous right, and supports fiscal conservatism then I would vote for him in a second. I felt though that in the last election that it was a lesser of two evils, and I could not stand giving my vote to someone who did not hold to fiscal conservative values, and who was from the religous right and began the Iraq war (I was not in support, and am still not but lets not get into that right now mmkay? ).
-Jeff
Old 04-26-2005, 01:14 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Republicans are all about big govt and big brother...

Patriot Act
SOA
Attempt to over-run judiciary branch
Ever-increasing military and defense budgets / contracts
Old 04-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Originally Posted by dub2w

Patriot Act
SOA
Subaru Of America?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:42 AM

Patriot Act
SOA

I agree that they(Bush Administration) are acting like a bunch of liberal Democrats! WTF? The Patriot act and stopping judges that legislate from the bench is needed, though... does anyone disagree?

I'm ready for GW to play the conservative role for a while. They have the fricken mandate! Close the borders, make abortion illegal (with rare exceptions), cleanup the air-waves, and help make America self-sufficient already!#@)@#)@U$@)U@!!!!!!!

Last edited by HellaDumb; 04-28-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry

Patriot Act
SOA
SOA?

Why are so many people against the patriot act?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:58 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by Salty

Why are so many people against the patriot act?

The Patriot Act allows the gov't to ignore certain rights of citizens and is not very specifically worded...it hasn't been taken advantage of yet that I know of, but it would be very easy to, for example, start searching all college freshmen for drugs just because they are college freshmen. I'm pretty sure people are just scared that the gov't will start policing with no regard to privacy or reasonable justification.

But like I said, I haven't seen the gov't inapropriatly use the patriot act yet, so it's a fear of a potential action not an actual one.

Quick Reply: Republicans: Do you agree with the religous right?