Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Rathergate: I hope Rathers burns for this... (thread updated with findings)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 08:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Rathergate: I hope Rathers burns for this... (thread updated with findings)

Dan Rather's is someone I’ve grown to hate over the years based on his fraudulent claims of being a Marine to his comments towards Blackwater etc.

It's obvious that he's stepped on his dick and shown his true colors through bad reporting from time to time. I just hope Rathers goes down hard if/when they prove he aired forged documents to support a report on President Bush.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tpartisanstorm

NEW YORK — CBS News' Dan Rather has famously tangled with Republicans since Richard Nixon was president. Now the anchor finds himself in the midst of another major partisan storm, accused of airing forged documents to support a report on President Bush (news - web sites)'s controversial Texas Air National Guard service in the early 1970s...

...A growing number of critics say that means naming the source who gave CBS copies of the memos the network says were written by Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, Bush's immediate supervisor in the Guard...

... Rather said he had no intention of giving in to those pressures. "Say what you want to about me, I keep my word," Rather said. "No, I'm not going to reveal my source."
Even if this entire incident gets swept under the rug it’ll be nice to know that CBS and Rathers are going to lose credibility as a reliable source from this day forward. Here's to **** poor editors and reporting on CBS's part!
Old 09-15-2004, 09:14 AM
VIP Member

And here's what Marian Carr Knox is saying...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...osareforgeries

The former secretary to a Texas Air National Guard officer who purportedly wrote memos critical of President Bush (news - web sites)'s pilot service said Tuesday that the documents are forgeries but they appear to reflect memos her boss wrote and kept in a locked desk drawer...

...The newspaper said that Knox, 86, had precise recollection about dates, people and events. She was critical of Bush, whom she called "unfit for office."
The plot thickens...

The real question is based on whether or not anyone can prove it.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:40 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Where's all the pressure on Robert Novak to reveal his source for the treasonous act of outing a CIA operative?

And again, what does any of this crap about 30 years ago have to do with the doo-doo we're in now?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:43 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by psoper
And again, what does any of this crap about 30 years ago have to do with the doo-doo we're in now?
exactly.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:47 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by psoper
I agree with you and I could honestly care less if this boosted Bush's approval to 70%, psoper.

I'd get 110% of my satisfaction watching Rathers go down in flames.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
salty how is that any different from that douchebag novack who outed a ****ign CIA OPERATIVE with allgeged information formt eh bush administration? Whats up with that do you condone that right wing mouth peice as much as you attack rathers?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:35 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
salty how is that any different from that douchebag novack who outed a ****ign CIA OPERATIVE with allgeged information formt eh bush administration? Whats up with that do you condone that right wing mouth peice as much as you attack rathers?
If it means Rathers will burn then sure, why not?

Edit: But we're talking about the presence of forged documents here... something that's fraudulent and produced out of thin air. There's big a difference in conjuring up bad evidence and reporting on it in comparison to someone in the White House stepping on their tail.

Last edited by Salty; 09-15-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:55 AM
VIP Member

All roads lead to Abilene, TX? The Plot gets thicker and thicker...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...v=rss_politics

Documents allegedly written by a deceased officer that raised questions about President Bush's service with the Texas Air National Guard bore markings showing they had been faxed to CBS News from a Kinko's copy shop in Abilene, Tex., according to another former Guard officer who was shown the records by the network.

The markings provide one piece of evidence suggesting a source for the documents, whose authenticity has been hotly disputed since CBS aired them in a "60 Minutes" broadcast Sept. 8. The network has declined to name the person who provided them, saying the source was confidential, or to explain how the documents came to light after more than three decades

There is only one Kinko's in Abilene, and it is 21 miles from the Baird, Tex., home of retired Texas National Guard officer Bill Burkett, who has been named by several news outlets as a possible source for the documents.

Robert Strong, who was one of three people interviewed by "60 Minutes," said he was shown copies of the documents by CBS anchor Dan Rather and producer Mary Mapes on Sept. 5, three days before the broadcast. He said at least one of the documents bore the faxed header "Kinko's Abilene."

Strong's comments came as CBS News President Andrew Heyward in an interview acknowledged that there were "unresolved issues" that the network wanted "to get to the bottom of." Since the broadcast, critics have pointed to a host of unexplained problems about the memos, which bore dates from 1972 and 1973, including signs that they had been written on a computer rather than a Vietnam War-era typewriter.

"I feel that we did a tremendous amount of reporting before the story went on the air or we wouldn't have put it on the air," Heyward said in an interview last night, while acknowledging "a ferocious debate about these documents."

Asked what role Burkett may have played in CBS's reporting, Heyward said: "I'm not going to get into any discussion of who the sources are."

Burkett, who has accused Bush aides of ordering the destruction of some portions of the president's National Guard record because they might have been politically embarrassing, did not return telephone calls to his home. His lawyer, David Van Os, issued a statement on Burkett's behalf saying he "no longer trusts any possible outcome of speaking to the press on any issue regarding George W. Bush and does not choose to dignify recent spurious attacks upon his character with any comment."

In news interviews earlier this year, Burkett said he overheard a telephone conversation in the spring of 1997 in which top Bush aides asked the head of the Texas National Guard to sanitize Bush's files as he was running for a second term as governor of Texas. Several days later, he said, he saw dozens of pages from Bush's military file dumped in a trash can at Camp Mabry, the Guard's headquarters.

The Bush aides Burkett named as participants in the telephone conversation were Chief of Staff Joe M. Allbaugh and spokespeople Karen Hughes and Dan Bartlett. All three Bush aides and former Texas National Guard Maj. Gen. Daniel James have strongly denied the allegations.

Suspicions that Burkett could have been a source for the CBS documents first surfaced earlier this week when Newsweek magazine reported that Mapes flew to Texas to interview him over the summer. Yesterday, the New York Times reported that a CBS staff member, speaking on the condition of anonymity, confirmed that Burkett was a source for the "60 Minutes" report but "did not know the exact role he played."

Yesterday, reporters from several news organizations were camped near Baird, Tex., outside Burkett's home, which is on a working ranch, with a gate barring access to a one-story farmhouse and a pickup truck outside. At 6 p.m. Central Time, Burkett walked to the gate on his cane with a black dog by his side to collect his mail. He refused to answer questions about whether he provided the documents to CBS.

"Get out of my way," he told the reporters. "You need to go home."

Earlier this year, Burkett gave interviews to numerous news outlets, including The Washington Post, alleging corruption and malfeasance at the top of the Texas National Guard, much of which have never been substantiated. He has also been a named source for several reports by USA Today, which reported Monday that it had independently obtained copies of the disputed memos soon after the broadcast.

Like CBS News, USA Today has declined to name the source of its memos on the grounds of confidentiality.

Burkett, who served with the Texas National Guard in an administrative capacity before his 1998 retirement, has been involved in a bitter dispute with the Guard over medical benefits after suffering from a tropical disease following a military assignment in Panama. He has told reporters that he had a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized for depression after he left the Guard

Burkett has provided different accounts of exactly what Bush records he allegedly saw in the trash can at Camp Mabry. At times, he has described them as "payroll-type documents" and performance assessments. But in an Aug. 14 posting to a Web log, www.steveverdon.com, he said he saw "a two-page counseling statement" signed by Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, the officer named by "60 Minutes" as the author of its Bush memos.

Author James Moore, who relied on Burkett as a primary source for a book attacking Bush as having wriggled out of his Guard service, said in an interview yesterday that he did not think Burkett provided the memos to CBS. "His life is complicated enough already, and I don't know why he would make further complications for himself," Moore said.

On Capitol Hill, meanwhile, 39 Republican House members, led by Majority Whip Roy Blunt (Mo.), wrote a letter to Heyward demanding that CBS retract its report. Accusing the network of becoming "part of a campaign to deceive the public and to defame the president," the lawmakers said: "CBS reporters would not accept such behavior from public officials like ourselves, and we cannot accept it from them."

Separately, Rep. Christopher *** (R-Calif.), citing reports in The Post and the Dallas Morning News, asked that a House communications subcommittee investigate what he called "the continued use of CBS News of apparently forged documents" intended to damage Bush's reputation and "influence the outcome of the 2004 presidential election." But the panel's chairman, Rep. Joe Barton (R-Tex.), rejected the request, saying that the oversight of network news should be left to the viewing public and news media.

In a related development, White House press secretary Scott McClellan hinted that more documents regarding Bush's National Guard service may soon be released. Asked whether officials in the White House have seen unreleased documents, McClellan called that "a very real possibility." Other officials with knowledge of the situation said more documents had indeed been uncovered and would be released in the coming days.

Last edited by Salty; 09-16-2004 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:26 AM
VIP Member

Sorry but I truly hate Rathers and am actually excitied to see the plunge in his career just like the plunge in recent CBS news ratings.

http://beldar.blogs.com/beldarblog/2...ther_was_.html

He who knowingly enables and facilitates the fraud is as guilty as he who originated it.

It doesn't matter whether CBS News had other experts who supported the documents' authenticity. If there were such experts, they were wrong. CBS News and Dan Rather proceeded deliberately in the face of explicit warnings from Ms. James and Ms. Will. They had either actual knowledge of the forgeries, or they proceeded with such reckless disregard that constructive knowledge must be imputed to them.
http://www.drudgereport.com/cbsd3.htm

CBS CONCERN OVER VIEWERSHIP PLUNGE; RATHER RATINGS FADE IN MAJOR MARKETS

CBS executives on both coasts have become concerned in recent days that Dan Rather's EVENING NEWS broadcast has plunged in the ratings since the anchor presented questionable documents about Bush's National Guard service.

NIELSEN numbers released this week show Rather fading and trailing his rivals in every Top 10 city, other than San Francisco, with audience margins in some cities running more than 6 to 1 against CBS!
Hahaha ****'em! Name:  lol.gif
Views: 14
Size:  641 Bytes
Old 09-16-2004, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
typical bush fanatical attacks on the media, when the bush administration isnt doing it to media in the white house they have their legions of mindless idiots do it for them.

If you want to talk about fake documents and numbers just look to the bush administrations numbers on how much land would be effected in alaska for drilling, or how much their medicare package would cost, or any of a million other figures that they spew.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
If you want to talk about fake documents and numbers just look to the bush administrations numbers on how much land would be effected in alaska for drilling, or how much their medicare package would cost, or any of a million other figures that they spew.
Just curious, have you ever been tested for ADD?

Is it possible for you to stay on the subject matter for what it's truly about and not elude to Bush did this and Bush that? It's kinda sad, Dre...but this chain of evens has nothing to do with what you posted.

Furthermore, projected numbers regarding drilling land in Alaska, how much Medicare would cost etc. are just that... P-R-O-J-E-C-T-I-O-N-S!
----------
pro·jec·tion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-jkshn)
n.
A plan for an anticipated course of action: “facilities [that] are vital to the projection of U.S. force... in the Pacific” (Alan D. Romberg).
A prediction or an estimate of something in the future, based on present data or trends.

-----------
It's nothing different when Kerry (or whoever else scoobsport98 ) spews plans on how he's going to help the economy and job market with estimated numbers.

This is why i'm all smiles about this so I’ll re-post it again (hence ADD) for you:

Originally Posted by Salty
Dan Rather's is someone I’ve grown to hate over the years based on his fraudulent claims of being a Marine to his comments towards Blackwater etc.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Lt. Dan really stepped in the crapper with this stuff. A news guy like that should know that you can't pass off forgeries as real documents from the 60's and 70's. Especially if they were written in MS Word 2002! LOL This could be the end of Danny-Boy's career.

I think Bush was a real turd in the T.A.N.G. and there probably are memos out there somewhere that say some pretty derogatory crap about how he shirked his duties and stuff like that but you can't just "produce" forgeries and expect them not to get scrutinized. Rather will most likely end up doing more damage the the Democrats chances than he will the Republicans because of this whole debacle.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:49 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
If this turns out to be fake news, it wouldn't be the first time Mr Rather has reported it.

Link
Old 09-16-2004, 03:15 PM
VIP Member

It's funny you mention that, Paul.

I recent news Rathers painted the very same picture that all veterans were "scruffy, jobless, homeless, mentally unstable, addicted, suicidal, and stranded on the fringes of society type individuals. He suggested that the highly trained members of blackwater couldn't find jobs in the civilian world and were forced into the job as "a last resort"... he said this as their burning corpses hung from the bridge near Fallujah.

But here's my favorite Rather's irony...

It's the fact that he sat out the Korean War in a National Guard unit to eventually join the Marines and eventually get ****canned straight out of Paris Island (boot camp). Then he had the ***** to criticize Dan Quale and George W. Bush for evading service in the Vietnam War by serving in National Guard units.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:38 AM
VIP Member

WASHINGTON - Bill Burkett, who has emerged as a possible CBS source for disputed memos about President Bush's Guard service, has a long history of making charges against Bush and the Texas National Guard.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2799919

Quick Reply: Rathergate: I hope Rathers burns for this... (thread updated with findings)