Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Puerto Rico, should we keep on supporting them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 06:40 AM

Puerto Rico, should we keep on supporting them?

Did you know that over 70% of Puerto Ricans (in Puerto Rico) are on some type of government welfare yet they do not pay taxes. It seems to me that they are always complaining about them belonging to the U.S., yet the entire country is living off the taxes paid by American citizens. I think if they receive our help (money), then they should help carry the load by paying taxes. If they don't want to pay taxes then they should vote on become an independant country.

Puerto Rico wants to "have their cake and eat it too". I remember they cried about Vieques [spell?] so it was finallly closed. Then when we tried to close down the neighboring base ( Roosy roads) they began to cry again. Luckily, we closed down Roosy since basically it's entire purpose was to support the bombing range in Vieques.

It seems messed to me that everyone in this country has to pay taxes, yet a country that costs us Billions of dollars a year to maintain does not.

What do you all think about this?

-SZ
Old 08-14-2004, 10:22 AM

They should either become a state or be gone with them. It's United States of America not United Freeloading ****** Islands of America.

Last edited by FUNKED1; 08-14-2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by FUNKED1
They should either become a state or be gone with them. It's United States of American not United Freeloading ****** Islands of America.
That's the way I feel, this country has enough problems and we don't need to baby sit a country who doesn't want to take care of themselves. My wife is Puerto Rican, and she agrees as well.

Did you know that many Puerto Rican couples live togethor and have kids but never marry just so that they could collect welfare! It's crap, I mean the government taxes my income and they tax that crap out of my Navy reenlistment bonus a 28%, yet they can't tax a country who free loads off of us.

-SZ
Old 08-14-2004, 10:30 AM

One of my friends down there calls it Monkey Island. He is a bad person.
My other friend in the PR isn't so extreme but would agree with us.
People from PR are pretty cool. Must be why we have let them stay as part of the US for so long.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:43 AM

Hmmm, "It seems messed to me that everyone in this country has to pay taxes, yet a country that costs us Billions of dollars a year to maintain does not." Isreal anyone? Oh wait its just the "beaners" that are free loaders. W/e be more obvious in your sentiments on hating other races. Im sure you would appriciate being a minority and being called such names. Hell, I have a challege for you. Go to the nearest club full of puerto rican's or black's or asian's and start calling them racial slurs and see how long you last.

There are ways of getting a point across, using terms like you just did shows lack of insight and respect for others.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:49 PM

Waaaaaarooooooooooooooooooo PC police
OK I'm busted. I apologize to all Puerto Ricans. I'm going to call up my friend Manuel down there and tell him. He will probably say "Hell we aren't beaners, we are black island mexicans!"
Seriously, I don't hate them or anybody because of their ancestry or color. I don't have time for that stuff.

Last edited by FUNKED1; 08-14-2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
Screw all ******'s, Oh wait I'm mexican. Take offense at racial slurs and your just empowering the person saying them
Old 08-14-2004, 10:45 PM

I didn't know ****** was a race. I learn something new every day.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:48 PM

Ummm, im puerto rican (and half spanish) and unlike your friend I do not see myself like that all. And shrug you can joke all you want about it but those words are racial slurs. And hence I take offense when used. I think people have a hard time relating if they have never had any of those words used on them. And your sarcasm is sadly misplaced. And if you don't have the time for that "stuff" why use terms that are based on that "stuff".

pb, i take offense b/c it is a racial slur. It is a term that puts down my race (and yours) and who we are. Why do i have to accept others slurs? By not taking offense those ideas that come with the word are spread. Look how funked used it. Should i be oh its ok i won't let that get to me. Or should i be, that is wrong what he said. And i should try to convince him of that? Would it be ok to you if a cop called you a ****? You should be oh its ok...no you shouldn't.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
Words in anger or to be meant offensivly[sic]? are alot different than an internet forum when a cop or other person on official business say's such thing's it would be in a different context than someone stating thier opinion on an internet thread. Your point is well taken, but like I said letting someone who has such an narrow view of races or natonality other than thier own, get you all upset is empowering to said person or people. Oh, as for the cop thing I had been pulled out of cars at gun point along with three others (1 mexican, 2 puerto ricans) because we looked like the "spics"(cops words not mine) that commited whatever was the crime of the night by Sac pd and sheriffs more times than I care to remember, guess what complaints against the officers netted?
Old 08-15-2004, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered
Ummm, im puerto rican (and half spanish) and unlike your friend I do not see myself like that all. And shrug you can joke all you want about it but those words are racial slurs. And hence I take offense when used. I think people have a hard time relating if they have never had any of those words used on them. And your sarcasm is sadly misplaced. And if you don't have the time for that "stuff" why use terms that are based on that "stuff".
Like I said, I apologize to all Puerto Ricans. I never knew beaners was a term that pissed people off. (Cheech & Chong) I will choose other terms in the future.

Last edited by FUNKED1; 08-15-2004 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by pbchief2
Words in anger or to be meant offensivly[sic]? are alot different than an internet forum when a cop or other person on official business say's such thing's it would be in a different context than someone stating thier opinion on an internet thread. Your point is well taken, but like I said letting someone who has such an narrow view of races or natonality other than thier own, get you all upset is empowering to said person or people. Oh, as for the cop thing I had been pulled out of cars at gun point along with three others (1 mexican, 2 puerto ricans) because we looked like the "spics"(cops words not mine) that commited whatever was the crime of the night by Sac pd and sheriffs more times than I care to remember, guess what complaints against the officers netted?
But I wasn't upset. I just think he is wrong and so I will correct him. See you should complain, and if you have the money sue them for discrimination. I took a course once in my university and the cop said he did racial profiling. And that he was right in doing it. I was blown away that my teacher a "officer" (not only that a high ranking one) would actually admit to doing that. That type of attitude only changes if you fight against it. (By the way my whole class was as baffeled as me. And spoke up against it.) It sucks too because like you I have been pulled over etc. and everytime they have I report them. Maybe it won't make a difference but no way in hell am I going to let them have no negative affect happen if I can. Shrug, maybe i was raised differently than you in that aspect.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:21 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
I think we suppored PR because we needed something in the area to keep Cuba at bay...Maybe??

Now that we don't need PR any more...... if they don't wait to come abord, we should drop support for them.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:15 PM

Well, aside from the racial comments, I think we are all in agreement that PR should either stick with us and pay taxes or become an independant country and support themselves.

-SZ
Old 08-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO
Well, aside from the racial comments, I think we are all in agreement that PR should either stick with us and pay taxes or become an independant country and support themselves.

-SZ
w3rd

Quick Reply: Puerto Rico, should we keep on supporting them?