Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Protestors in NY

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 12:50 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Protestors in NY

In response to...

Originally Posted by Salty
***I’m willing to wager some beer money on the ‘million moron march’ having zero effect for the Bush administration -and- negative repercussions on the Democrats’ cause***

...it seems the protestors are making sure that their voice is heard.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NGRB8GN7J1.DTL

From the article:

"The protesters' message was difficult to ignore. Organizers estimated that as many as 400,000 people snaked in a giant U-turn through midtown Manhattan and marched past police barricades surrounding Madison Square Garden, where the Republican National Convention kicks off today."

And btw, aside from this opinion...

The estimated "million+ marchers" (which will probably be no more than 100k) will likely show their adolescent stupidity, hatred and violence, much to the distaste of Middle-America as they grumble “damn kids and their MTV…”. As a result of these "peace protest" actions, undecided voters will conclusively decide for Bush as a result.

[/size]
...this has been the actual turnout:

"The march brought together a diverse crowd of doctors and college students, Iraq war veterans and taxi drivers from across the country."

Last edited by dub2w; 08-30-2004 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
IBsaltysaysit'sjustSFgatespin

-Chris
Old 08-30-2004, 01:15 PM

From the International Herald Tribune:

http://www.iht.com/articles/536416.html

"This was not the reception the Republicans had planned. They chose New York to evoke the moment of national unity that rallied Americans to Bush after the Sept. 11 attacks, only to find protesters claiming that Bush had forfeited that goodwill by attacking Iraq."
Old 08-30-2004, 01:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Unfortunately, your stories mean nothing until we see the approval ratings after the convention (which favor Bush at the moment). Until then, I’m saving the apologizes and my “I told you so” for a later date. Yes I’m man enough to admit my mistakes, faults and defeats but a) the convention isn’t over and b) we don’t have the approval ratings and polls for mid September!

I'll give it to the protestors for trying and making a large turnout and being peaceful so far. However, my bet still stands based on the fact nobody cared in the first place. The only people that care about this are those that were already against Bush, such as, yourself and the SFgate... therefore nothing changes and the protestors are back to square-one.

We shall see, dub2w….
Old 08-30-2004, 03:31 PM

Oh, ok. So we can quantitavely measure the success / failure of the protest by a sampled poll of 1000-2000 Americans?

Old 08-30-2004, 03:38 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dub2w
Oh, ok. So we can quantitavely measure the success / failure of the protest by a sampled poll of 1000-2000 Americans?

Point taken...

We'll just wait till November, Mmmkay!?
Old 08-30-2004, 03:46 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
I'll give it to the protestors for trying and making a large turnout and being peaceful so far. However, my bet still stands based on the fact nobody cared in the first place. The only people that care about this are those that were already against Bush, such as, yourself and the SFgate... therefore nothing changes and the protestors are back to square-one.
Is it the protesters point? Are they trying to convert? Or are they just expressing their anger? I think its the latter.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:07 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by constellation
Is it the protesters point? Are they trying to convert? Or are they just expressing their anger? I think its the latter.
I don't understand your question and how it pertains to my quote. Explain it a little and i'll give you an answer.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:20 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
therefore nothing changes and the protestors are back to square-one.

The question is, do you think that they are protesting to convert people, or protesting to make a point?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:09 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by constellation
The question is, do you think that they are protesting to convert people, or protesting to make a point?

Oh, okay...

They're protesting out of anger, to make a point, to convert people, gain needed attention and be in the presence of like-minds of course.

Why else would you protest if you didn't want to sway the vote in your favor? If you didn't want to influence voters then you wouldn't have gathered in NYC during the RNC... Instead, you could gather 120,000 people in BFE on any given Sunday.

I know there are some people that are pissed about them holding the RNC in NYC but you don't address that with 900+ mock flag covered coffins -and -people in Bush costumes harassing convention goers at nearby hotels.

Last edited by Salty; 08-30-2004 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:24 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
.....I know there are some people that are pissed about them holding the RNC in NYC but you don't address that with 900+ mock flag covered coffins.....
I don't know, I thought that was a rather creative gesture, after all -almost 1000 of your brother and sisters in arms have come back from Iraq that way, and W has banned anyone from taking pictures of that fact.

I think the american people need to be reminded what this administrations policy decisions are costing us.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:50 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by psoper
I don't know, I thought that was a rather creative gesture, after all -almost 1000 of your brother and sisters in arms have come back from Iraq that way,
Although it's unfortunate that they died, I find the 1000 casualty argument fairly weak considering the vast numbers of solider, sailors, airmen and marines that've rotated out of Iraq is well over 350,000k strong with some volunteering and being sent twice.

What everyone tends to forget are the peacetime casualties that happen at half the rate of OIF deaths. These deaths have been happening as a result of training since the beginning of time and only reach local news papers. I've been personally involved with 3 incidents including one where I held the hand of a fellow parachutist as he burned in. I popped green smoke, called in a 9 line medevac and watch his bloated body gasp till he died. No CNN coverage on that story and the fact 3 brave privates volunteered to take his place 1 week later.

But when our servicemen and women actually die by green tracer Kalishnikov fire everyone thinks their death meant more than that of peacetime?! Meanwhile our brave men and women are reenlisting at high rates and have volunteered to wear the uniform for over 250 years with a very clear understanding of the risks involved.

Originally Posted by psoper
and W has banned anyone from taking pictures of that fact.
Funny, I thought it was the Pentagon back in 1991, not "W"

***hint, hint: do your homework before you attack "W"***
Old 08-30-2004, 07:57 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
OK I stand corrected, his daddy and uncle dick pulled the curtains back in '91, still doesn't sit right with me though.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:29 AM

and it shouldnt... this can almost be traced back to Walter Cronkite's on air gasp after the Tet Offensive. In a nutshell, he lamented that he thought we were winning this (the Vietnam) war and wondered aloud how it was we were getting our asses handed to us.

It was the first time that a man of that stature made such a remark on live television, and as a result it showed how much power the media had in swaying the populace
Old 08-31-2004, 08:37 PM
VIP Member

Well I’m off to Italy for two weeks!

I just wanted to tell you that 800 protestors have been arrested so far. Although they've been peaceful for the most part, 120,000 or even 1 protestor in jail doesn't look good in any respect.

Last edited by Salty; 08-31-2004 at 08:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Protestors in NY