Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Poor taste

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 03:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by MVWRX
And are you suggesting the unlikely possibility of racism being involved during the Katrina debacle is on the same level as receiving extramarital oral pleasure?
^Yes^

Ahhh yes... the right to have your *** saved in an emergency. Where exactly was the violation of human rights, Mr. West?

Last edited by Salty; 02-08-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:44 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Coretta King's mission in life was to support people who advocated for social justice. I understand where you are coming from as a white agnostic, but we are talking about Southern Baptists (aside from Carter, Southern Black Baptists).

To repeat, this is not inappropriate at all. It is, in a sense, showing respect to the late Mrs. King by not letting politics interfere with speaking out against injustices.

What is lost in the conversation is the fact that poor people have been afflicted the hardest by this administration's policies. It is easy to live your life in predominantly white, upper class areas and be completely oblivious to the plight of the rest of America.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
While I don't agree with inviting him and then bashing him, I can see why it happened and I really think he should have expected that.
The people that invited him were not the speakers. Do not confuse the two.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
I can see protesting Bush at an event he must attend like the Inauguration. But Bush was a guest that did not have to be present in the first place. Snide remarks that are made directly or indirectly to anyone at a funeral are uncalled for.
No they are not especially in this context. Did you bother to hear the shots and praises these people got for telling Bush how it is? Like dub2w said you guys have no idea what a black southern church is like at all. Just for kicks I suggest you go, its actually a lot of fun.

The idea is to praise the legacy of a great woman by reflecting on the life she lived. They make it seem like her legacy wasn’t strong enough to utilize the entire time alloted for the eulogy. That's how it's disrespectful to Mrs. King.
No, they know what her legacy stands for. Because of this they see it is right to speak up against what they believe is social unjustices. This is not disrespectful to Mrs. King, like I stated earlier she would proably of been glad they did this. I'll quote King again since you missed it the first time.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

And shame on these people (mostly black) for pulling the race card on the President. It's ****ing ridiculous and I’m getting very sick of it. I honestly feel the true racists are people of any color who believe Katrina was a racially motivated gaggle-****. Sometimes I wish Pooty Tang were our President. And even though I do not wish harm to anyone, I almost wish Mount St. Helens would kill 10,000 white people in a cloud of pyroclastic debris so we could ride the racial train.
I'd like to quote someone else now.

"What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overhwlemed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle)--this is working very well for them."—Barbara Bush

She raised this man and was the first lady not to long ago. Now you still can't understand why they see things as being racially motivated? But yet what got played more in the media? Her saying this or Kayne West saying, "Bush hates black people." The worst part in all that is that West should be a whole heck of less important that Barbara Bush.

Also, you mention the culture of black churches which I think is exemplified by many Southern churches. So does Southern Hospitality stop outside the church doors? Are you suggesting only blacks have no manners in church? Mrs. King wouldn't be very fond of this... And if you think Jimmy Carter's remarks were made because of him recognizing the appropriate behavior in a predominately black church as opposed to him being his usual liberal self, then you're out to lunch.
I think what he is suggesting is that the Church is a platform for Reverends to speak about current events. Manners are for those that deserve them and Bush doesn't in this area. He exemplifies everything that Mrs. King and her late husband stood against, to come to her funeral is just waiting to get bit. Thats like if Hitler was still alive and he went to a Jewish funeral and expecting everyone to be nice to him.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:36 PM

At a funeral?

Face it man, it's just as inappropriate.

Face it he should of expected it. Clinton would of expected something like this and not worried about it. Instead you seem to be butt hurt about something happening that was likely to happen.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I think it matters that the King family and the board of directors of the king center, for all appearances spent more on the gift shop and the contents thereof then anything else there.

I think it matters that in todays school MLK walks on water and Malcolm X is that Denzel Washington movie.

And finally I think it matters that the widow of a man devoted to the unity and coming together of all men, no matter what, is being remembered on this forum not for what she did but for the fact that, inappropriate or not, our president was derided and chastised at her funeral. That instead of honoring her life and her passing, in true I-club fashion the lines are drawn in the sand and the pissing contest is commenced.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:34 PM

And yet when you remember the man and all he stood for you forget his most important fight. That of civil liberties regardless of race or creed. That quote is a PERFECT example of what HE stood for. You are talking about something that is minor and is "your" perspective since I really doubt you have been to the King Center. Either way that doesn't really matter now does it? That is not what he stood for and not what matters in the grand scheme of things.

What Bush has done is exactly what King and his wife fought against. It is something she would happily stand up for. If you don't believe that you really should read up on her life story and history.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
Actually I have been to the King Center. And he didn't stand for everybodies civil rights, just ask Bayard Rustin how he felt about that.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:26 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by ftnssn
That instead of honoring her life and her passing, in true I-club fashion the lines are drawn in the sand and the pissing contest is commenced.
There is definitely merit in that observation.

However, take note of who (and specifically which party) took offense. You are right, her memorial was an event to celebrate what she stood for. I trust that fellow Georgian Jimmy Carter and close-friends (such as the reverend) would have a better understanding of how exactly she would like to be commemorated.

Again, the raucous applause from the audience is a testament to the appropriateness of the comments.