Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...
View Poll Results: What factor "rocked the vote" for Bush?
Kerry/ Edwards were not the best Candidates
32.35%
Michael Moore and the Hollywood gang disturbed the hive
14.71%
Constant negative press toward Bush
8.82%
Gay Marriage, Abortion, and other culture issues
47.06%
None- Americans defy logic
32.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: What motivated people to vote for Bush?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 12:58 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Poll: What motivated people to vote for Bush?

I have my own perceptions as to why I think people came out in force to vote for Bush, even though so many things are in horrible shape. The tip of the iceberg is record deficit spending, the mess in Iraq, a slow economy, and a low level of optimism accross the American people.

There are a few specific things that come to mind that "rocked the vote" for Bush.
Do you identify with any of these, or none?
Old 11-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
There is one main reason.

God, the whole midwest voted for him mostly because he has the same ideas about religion. Their scared of Gay marriage, and the decline of their morals.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:49 PM

The god, abortion, gay issues. All that I think shouldn't be a issue. Shrug. Why bother with poll I thought this was well known by now?
Old 11-05-2004, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Unregistered
The god, abortion, gay issues. All that I think shouldn't be a issue. Shrug. Why bother with poll I thought this was well known by now?
I think that Michael Moore and Actors putting in their 2 cents is as much to blame.

Remember, the same exit poll data that said that cultural reasons was the main reason people voted for Bush was already proven to be faulty.

Does anyone really think that middle america thought re-electing Bush would stop gay marriage? Cummon.

I think if the Democrats do another free-for-all in another 4 years, they'll lose again. Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Remember, the same exit poll data that said that cultural reasons was the main reason people voted for Bush was already proven to be faulty.
The biggest reason why that exit polling was wrong at the start is because where they were taking those polls were in states that went democratic. A huge number of states who's polls closed first were "blue" states and the polling showed that.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:30 PM

This says EXACTLY what I mean:

I just found this, and this is exactly what I'm talking about:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...n_hollywood_dc
Old 11-05-2004, 05:15 PM

Middle of america = bible belt. Bush = born again christian. Bush = no abortion, gay marriage, etc...
Old 11-05-2004, 05:28 PM

Middle of america = bible belt. Bush = born again christian. Bush = no abortion, gay marriage, etc...
What does that have to do with Ohio? How about the 45% of California voters?

So you don't buy the article I posted? I think the hollywood idiots need to get their credit, too.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
There was an interesting article by a rather conservative sociologist that said most people that voted for Bush this election, voted with their dicks. The Democrats and liberals have been, for years, pussifying America, and the brazen American male felt like he lost his gender identity. A vote for Bush was a vote to save your dick from being chopped off by liberals.

To an extent, I think this is relatively true. I heard at least a few callers to the Howard Stern show on Wednesday or Thursday saying stuff like "Hey California and Manhattan, take that. We don't care about your politics and we're gonna vote whatever way we want"

There is also the fact of the new cultural phenomenom of conservative empowerment. Yes, its okay to not be PC all the time. Yes, its okay to get angry and show your emotions. Yes, be who you are, not who the liberal media wants you to be. Voting for Bush seemed to be the collective group hug (that involved no male touching) that newly empowered conservative voters really needed.

Or it could be that the Democrats didn't have a clear message.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:25 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
What does that have to do with Ohio? How about the 45% of California voters?

So you don't buy the article I posted? I think the hollywood idiots need to get their credit, too.
Californians as a whole are not nearly as liberal as the rest of the country likes to think. We often send more conservatives to Congress and the State Legislature than liberals. It's just that the majority of California's voters are liberal/democratic.

I didn't vote in the poll. You forgot "all of the above". I really don't believe that there was a single reason for Bush's victory. It was a combination of what you said in your first post.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
I didn't vote in the poll. You forgot "all of the above".
Psst, its a multi-option poll. You could select them all.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:06 PM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
As to quote Jay and Silent Bob strike back,

Here is the country's pulse, here is John Kerry far away from the pulse jamed streight up his ***.

As in the last election with Al Gore, I think Democrats and liberals have lost touch with the "majority" of america, and my god I'm tired of some people saying that the 59 million people that voted for Bush are rednecks and imbread and all of that. From the charts I've looked at if you make less then 50k a year you most likely voted for Kerry. I'm not saying rednecks can't be rich, but from what a lot of you say you'd think that I live in a trailor because I voted for Bush. I voted for Bush because eventhough I don't agree with all that he stands for, at least he stands for something. Kerry said so many copletely contradictive statements in such a short amount of time. "I'm agaisn't the war, but I believe Sadaam should be removed" "I'm against the war, but I'll agree to fund it." The thing he said about Dick Cheney's daughter in the 3rd debate was absolutly rediculous. He basically came off as a renegade billionare that was running for President because his highly medicated wife told him to.

It has been found that Bush had a problem with alcohol, probalby cocane, and I'm sure there are many other things that didn't come out. but the fact of the matter is, I don't want anyone to be perfect and squeky clean, I want to know someone had problems and enough sense or maturity to overcome them and grow. Hell when I was more liberal in my college days I use to get trashed every day and do drugs, but now I have a degree, a great job, and a lot more to lose. I grew out of it, I see it as a positive thing.

Also I'm going to agree with Hella, hollywood sucks. They should make movies and not use their fame as a political platform unless they want to be politicians. I'm basically on the fence, I'm more conservitive then liberal. As in I don't care if Gay people want to get married, and I don't have a vagina so why should I say whether a woman can or cannot have an abortion. For the most part I can't stand people that are extreamly Left (Kerry) but I liked Clinton. I can't stand people who are extreamly right (Rush Limbaugh) but I like Bush jr.

Plus how do you say that your are totally against something, Like gay marrage. But then say but I'd love to see it happen. C'mon either you are with something or against it. Make a damn descision.

In a nutshell, Believe in something. You can't make everyone happy, don't try.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:53 AM

-EDIT-

After re-reading what you stated I think im going to tear it apart.

Man did you buy Roves political strategy hook line and sinker. And you really don't get what Kerry said at all during the debates, where by the way he owned Jr. Let me break it down for you.

Originally Posted by WRX2ndregime
As to quote Jay and Silent Bob strike back,

Here is the country's pulse, here is John Kerry far away from the pulse jamed streight up his ***.
No he made the mistake of not pandaring to the religious right as much as he should of. Atleast he held true to his values.

As in the last election with Al Gore, I think Democrats and liberals have lost touch with the "majority" of america, and my god I'm tired of some people saying that the 59 million people that voted for Bush are rednecks and imbread and all of that. From the charts I've looked at if you make less then 50k a year you most likely voted for Kerry. I'm not saying rednecks can't be rich, but from what a lot of you say you'd think that I live in a trailor because I voted for Bush. I voted for Bush because eventhough I don't agree with all that he stands for, at least he stands for something. Kerry said so many copletely contradictive statements in such a short amount of time. "I'm agaisn't the war, but I believe Sadaam should be removed" "I'm against the war, but I'll agree to fund it." The thing he said about Dick Cheney's daughter in the 3rd debate was absolutly rediculous. He basically came off as a renegade billionare that was running for President because his highly medicated wife told him to.
You will also note in those charts you looked at, that the majority of the states that Jr won where, lets see the BIBLE BELT. Big suprise there. Jr stands for everything that is wrong with this country. He stands for INTOLERANCE of others, maybe you missed it but he is against gay rights. You don't get at all what Kerry said during the debates that he won do you? Kerry IS against the war. But since we are already there we should SUPPORT our troops and get them home as fast as possible. Or do you suggest he not support our troops? You know what, whats the big deal that he mentioned Dick Cheney's daughter being gay? Is that such a bad thing that she is gay? Oh my lord hide the girl from the public, her name alone scares the religious right into hiding. Maybe you didn't notice but Cheney's daughter came up before in the past and no one said a thing. Even Cheney thanked Edwards for the kind words he said about her. Its not like Kerry said oh that girl is the devil she eats out other girls!! Kerry was running for president because he thought/thinks that he was doing the right thing for this country. Since we have entered a conflict that could turn out as bad as vietnam if not worse. (Oh please try to discredit his vietnam record I'll prove you wrong there just like I proved others wrong in this forum about that.) About his wife. Maybe you didn't notice but she is actually a very dear person. She gives out millions of dollars a year and maybe you don't like your women with a head on there shoulder and a mind of there own but some of us do. Also I do not get where you get,"his highly medicated wife" since she seems like a normal individual to me.

It has been found that Bush had a problem with alcohol, probalby cocane, and I'm sure there are many other things that didn't come out. but the fact of the matter is, I don't want anyone to be perfect and squeky clean, I want to know someone had problems and enough sense or maturity to overcome them and grow. Hell when I was more liberal in my college days I use to get trashed every day and do drugs, but now I have a degree, a great job, and a lot more to lose. I grew out of it, I see it as a positive thing.
Im glad you brought this up. Do you know how OLD he was till he stopped drinking? (Won't mention his cocaine habbit) Do you know he got a DWI in his 30's? This wasn't his "college days" this was his fatherhood days. If I remember right he quit drinking in his 40's. Yeah sure as hell took him a long time to get over that one. I find it amusing that even with Jr's fualt you still find a way to praise him.

Also I'm going to agree with Hella, hollywood sucks. They should make movies and not use their fame as a political platform unless they want to be politicians. I'm basically on the fence, I'm more conservitive then liberal. As in I don't care if Gay people want to get married, and I don't have a vagina so why should I say whether a woman can or cannot have an abortion. For the most part I can't stand people that are extreamly Left (Kerry) but I liked Clinton. I can't stand people who are extreamly right (Rush Limbaugh) but I like Bush jr.
Why shouldn't they express what they feel? Oh I get it, when they become famous they just have to shut up what they believe? If you don't wanna listen to them, here is a novel concept SWITCH THE CHANNEL, since you proably follow Jr's example and don't read the papers. (Which by the way he seems proud of.) Both sides did it not just Democrats. You do know, gasp, there are Republican actors!

Plus how do you say that your are totally against something, Like gay marrage. But then say but I'd love to see it happen. C'mon either you are with something or against it. Make a damn descision.

In a nutshell, Believe in something. You can't make everyone happy, don't try.
He, as a chatholic, does not agree with their life style. But since he understands that not EVERYONE believes what he believes he can't he force his beliefs on them. Now was that so hard to grasp?! Seriously not only is Kerry not a extremely left individual, he is very moderate in a lot of his views. Jr is a extremely RIGHT candiate, ie a NEO-CONSERVATIVE. You should really had informed yourself before you voted.

Last edited by Unregistered; 11-06-2004 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:23 AM

Kerry is so Liberial he doesn't have an opinion. His opionion is whatever smoke he can blow up the *** of anyone who will listen to him.

How do you even expect the Gay vote, when you spew out that you don't agree with them, like them, then completely pot shot Cheney's Daughter on national TV. Then still expect them to come support you. It's like telling Black people you hate affimative action, but since i'm a liberal I'll support it to make you all happy so you'll still vote for my biggot ***. It's that same freaking thing.

Here is a better question then the poll.

Did you vote For Kerry?
Or did you vote against Bush?

I seriously think I may have voted for Howard Dean, or at least it would have been a harder choice.

I voted against Kerry. Plain and simple. Someone who is going to dime out his band of brothers in Vietnam, doesn't deserve to live. His purple heart should have been a folded flag. That guy is so out of touch with anything. He expects to win a nationwide election on a few square miles of cities, and metropolitan areas. Can't do it. Clinton won applealing to America, not New York, Chicago, Philly, and LA.

I wish there would have been a better republican choice this year. But Bush is clearly a Leader, and clearly a better choice then Kerry. Am I happy that he is the guy, for now I am. Do I wish that it was someone else, probalby so, I wanted McCain 4 years ago. I'd love it if Rudy ran, and hell it might even be slightly entertaining if they changed the constitution to let Arnold run. Hilary Clinton, F*CK No. Colen Powell, why not. I'm not opposed to a black president, I'm not even opposed to a woman president. I can't respect Hillary for not leaving Bill after openly addmitting adultry, then bragging about it in a number one selling book. Among everything I've ever said regarding politics, Have a Spine, thats it. If you don't have a backbone, and are gutless you will never get my vote, I.E. John Kerry.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:40 AM

-EDIT-

Im glad you brought this up. Do you know how OLD he was till he stopped drinking? (Won't mention his cocaine habbit) Do you know he got a DWI in his 30's? This wasn't his "college days" this was his fatherhood days. If I remember right he quit drinking in his 40's. Yeah sure as hell took him a long time to get over that one. I find it amusing that even with Jr's fualt you still find a way to praise him.

Mike Kennedy killed people in a drunk driving accident. Clinton claimed to smoke weed, but didn't inhale, "MY ***". I'm sure every politition in the current ages has used drugs or alcohol. Of corse non of them want it to come up. But here is where I made my point earlier. If it takes you to be a born again christian or a good kick in the *** to turn your life around good. You've made a change. Massachutesets can't say anything they've been electing the same Drunk ie Ted Kennedy back into the Senate year after year. It would have been the same thing if he didn't lose in 1980. I'm not turning anything positive out of drug use or drinking. All I'm saying is if you can overcome that, and sometimes it takes a DUI or 2, to realize it, you become a better person realizing how dumb you are. So maybe he'll make his 2nd term better. Who knows, he has 4 years to prove himself.

Quick Reply: Poll: What motivated people to vote for Bush?