Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

The politics of motorcycle riding

Old 10-07-2005, 01:22 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
The politics of motorcycle riding

Fellas -

Motorcycle deaths have been on the rise over the past couple of years. I know that sometimes it is due to an idiot on a rice-rocket, but I think it also due to the increase in monster trucks (aka SUVs) on the road and people not paying attention on the road.

As awesome owners of the beloved Subie, please keep your eye out for people on motorcycles as you enjoy the sweetness of AWD and 227 hp at your feet!

Thanks,

dub2w, new toy enthusiast
Old 10-07-2005, 01:24 PM

Car Info: Sline
I only have 165hp... But I do keep about 150 ft+ btwn myself and a motorcycle.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
That's the main reason I got rid of my bike, way too many close calls with soccer moms on cel phones in suburbans. You just have to ignore the ricers trying to race you. Riding really does make you a better driver though.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:35 PM

Car Info: Sline
I thought about getting a mid 90's used ninja. I might get one after college when I have time to ride.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:40 PM
VIP Member

A ninja 250 would be a ton of fun on the track.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:55 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
I agree. People don't realize the needs of someone on a bike (i.e. increased following distanace for reaction time and seeing obstacles that cars/trucks can ignore) and how critical they are when you have no protection for the most part. Riding bikes with my dad and totally changed how I drive on the road.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:35 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
I think people on bikes need to keep an eye out. I've almot collided a few times with bikes while driving my WRX. Twice while in traffic. Biker shooting up between lanes. Once a guy on a hog blew threw a red while I was turning right. He swerved and avoided hitting me. I never even saw him coming(he must have been moving pretty fast). I even took the turn slowly. Then he had the nerve to slow down and shout something at me. He took off though after I followed him around the block. F'n coward. I was a little upset about that one. I shouldn't have followed him though. It wouldn't have amounted to anything except getting hurt or in trouble...most likely both.

Bikes are fun, but damn...it's your life on the line. DON'T BREAK THE LAW. Don't speed down city streets. Don't wedge yourself in between cars in traffic. Don't do anything that people might not expect you to do. Just play it safe unless there's nobody else around.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
...it's your life on the line. DON'T BREAK THE LAW... Don't wedge yourself in between cars in traffic.
Lane splitting is legal in this state. But I agree, when on a bike you need to assume that you are invisible and ride accordingly.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:13 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
Lane splitting is legal in this state. But I agree, when on a bike you need to assume that you are invisible and ride accordingly.
There are a lot of legal things that will still get you killed...lol.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:06 PM

It is so lame when people on motos ride recklessly. I was reading a book called "Proficient Riding" by David Hough and he lent a tip from a fighter jet pilot: you need to approach riding as if you were entering battle. Granted, there is the ideal backroad carving, but for in town riding you really need to be so alert its rediculous.

Agree on making a better / safer driver. Out of respect for bikers I might encounter on the road, I no longer talk on the cell while driving around town.

Shameless plug: I ride a 955cc Triumph Sprint ST It does 0-60 twice as fast as my old dragon wagon
Old 10-10-2005, 02:52 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
That or pretend every single motorist is trying to kill you.

I'd always go faster than traffic so I didn't have to watch my tail, and would plan for people in front of me to "do the most unthinkably stupid thing possible."

Always look for an escape route... i.e. shoulder, where you'll end up if you hit the pavement, etc.

I stopped riding because I cannot go slow... and since I knew I'd end up roadkill.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:10 PM
VIP Member

Some good honest advice right there.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Most of the riders laying dead in the street that I've seen have been because they were hauling *** down a long straight city street (probably 80mph+) and some one pulls out in front of them making a left or right turn, T-BONE. Splat, bike in a million pieces, so who's fault is that?

Its hard to tell how fast they are really going from just a glance..........watch out!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:44 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
True... and the other main cause of death is fear. Many riders crash because they panic and hit the brakes... controlling your fear is #1 on a bike.

For anyone that rides, there's a book called "the keith code" or something like that where this is talked about... definitely made me a better rider. I remember doing 80 around a turn, well into my right peg, and I was sliding toward the double yellow line. A continuous line of cars were going the other way at approx 45mph... if I had even touched the brakes, I would have hit the double-yellow, hit one of them head-on, and possibly take one of them with me.

Control your fear
Old 10-12-2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
True... and the other main cause of death is fear. Many riders crash because they panic and hit the brakes... controlling your fear is #1 on a bike.

For anyone that rides, there's a book called "the keith code" or something like that where this is talked about... definitely made me a better rider. I remember doing 80 around a turn, well into my right peg, and I was sliding toward the double yellow line. A continuous line of cars were going the other way at approx 45mph... if I had even touched the brakes, I would have hit the double-yellow, hit one of them head-on, and possibly take one of them with me.

Control your fear

Mercy! I have kindled some respect for this man!!

I cant wait to get out into the Appalachians for a ride on my new bike. Damn these things are fun, and going 0-60 in 3 ticks is quite a rush!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The politics of motorcycle riding