Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...
View Poll Results: Keep the orginal or change it?
Yes, keep the OG pledge..
92.86%
No, Change that **** up..
7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Pledge of alligence

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 11:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
Pledge of alligence

Should we keep the orginal or change it?
Old 09-15-2005, 04:04 AM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
Should we keep the orginal or change it?
The original is the one that DOESN'T have the "under god" part in it.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Is it too awfully non-pc to say that (as groups) I really hate Christians (and Catholics), Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Agnostics, Athiests, Bahaii-ists, Raddites, Amish, Satanists.....?

Did I miss any?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:35 AM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by gpatmac
Is it too awfully non-pc to say that (as groups) I really hate Christians (and Catholics), Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Agnostics, Athiests, Bahaii-ists, Raddites, Amish, Satanists.....?

Did I miss any?
Which one are you, since you included Athiests (non believers) and every other God worshiping religion. I'm curious what your system of beliefs are.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I don't care really.

What really upsets me are these types of abominations the left and activists take-up instead of utilizing their time more wisely. If you really want to change it then pass a law already! Oh that's right! Congress has better things to do then worry about the non-sense you spew.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by Salty
I don't care really.

What really upsets me are these types of abominations the left and activists take-up instead of utilizing their time more wisely. If you really want to change it then pass a law already! Oh that's right! Congress has better things to do then worry about the non-sense you spew.
+1
Old 09-15-2005, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jvick125
Which one are you, since you included Athiests (non believers) and every other God worshiping religion. I'm curious what your system of beliefs are.
Due to the fact that I'm a, what? 4th or 5th gen American, I'm a christian-influenced-way-of-thinking agnostic.

It's just that I don't identify with agnostics......and if there were a group of them together or organized in any sort of matter, I imagine that whatever they did or said would most likely alienate me or polarize me away from them.

Bottom line, if there were a 'group' of folks who only ascribed to being a good citizen and who tried to be as selfless as possible, they would probably be the only group that I could identify with.

My mom calls that being a pollyanna.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
I don't care really.

I think you're missing the point, buddy.

It is unconstitutional to pass a law regarding religion.

Hence the ruling alluded to in this thread.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
i agree we should go back to the orginal pledge..

* 1892 to 1923:
"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."
* 1923 to 1954:
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."
* 1954 to Present:
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."
Old 09-15-2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by lojasmo

I'm going to have to ask on what basis you declared a practice that dates to the beginning of the republic unconstitutional.

Yes, I realize the pledge was changed in the fifties....but references to God in government, ie, prayers in congress and what not, are as old as the constitution and were practiced by some of the drafters. I could see if the pledge said "one nation, under Jesus alone's divine protection, with scorn for all atheists..."

But since when is just using the word God in an official capacity or ceremony unconstitutional?
Old 09-15-2005, 04:48 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by lojasmo

You're missing the point. Remember when Roberts used the Umpire allusion? Well, guess what. Whatever a federal court rules is constitutional or not stands until appeal. In a sense, they've just refined that living document.

By asserting its judicial reviewing powers over both federal and state laws and acts, the Supreme Court secured for itself the role of chief interpreter and arbiter of the Constitution
http://www.constitutioncenter.org/ex...alReview.shtml
Old 09-15-2005, 05:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
One major underlying point is that the separation of church and state was meant to keep the state out of the church, not the other way around.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:33 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ipozestu
...was meant...
I imagine there were a bunch of archaic ideals the founding fathers had....along with the timeless, revolutionary, genius ones.

I think that their overarching, most genius ideal was that the Constitution was meant to be a living document.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by subaruguru
I'm going to have to ask on what basis you declared a practice that dates to the beginning of the republic unconstitutional.

Yes, I realize the pledge was changed in the fifties....but references to God in government, ie, prayers in congress and what not, are as old as the constitution and were practiced by some of the drafters. I could see if the pledge said "one nation, under Jesus alone's divine protection, with scorn for all atheists..."

But since when is just using the word God in an official capacity or ceremony unconstitutional?
Using the phrase is not unconstitutional, but passing a law requiring it's placement in a "pledge of allegiance" almost certainly is. also, requiring schoolchildren to "pledge allegiance" to a nation "under god" certainly is....at least according to the ninth circuit.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ipozestu
One major underlying point is that the separation of church and state was meant to keep the state out of the church, not the other way around.
WRONG! It has been found to mean both.

http://fact.trib.com/1st.religion.html

Quick Reply: Pledge of alligence