Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

pledge of allegiance=unconstitutional

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 03:38 PM

Car Info: 02 BRP 2.5RS-T
Maybe since it echoes the Declaration Of Independence, the 9th circuit should find that document unconstitutional
Old 09-15-2005, 04:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
I CANT TAKE IT!!
Of course you can't. And this is a HUGE part of the problem in regards to why your people continue with these ridiculous abominations. Your level of liberalism doesn't even show on the liberalism radar of that era. It was a far more traditional and tolerated liberalism you and your people could learn a serious lesson from. In fact, if traditional liberalism had the chance it would bend modern liberalism over its knee and spank the **** out of it.

Last edited by Salty; 09-15-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally Posted by lojasmo
It was certainly unconstitutional for congress to insert "under god" into the pledge.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Same same (as in mirror thread).

If Congress passes a law, it IS constitutional unless challenged in the courts and found unconstitutional.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:59 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by svxr8dr
I still don't understand how "Under God" endorses a religion
I still don't see how this is newsworthy or even fodder for discussion given the current political climate (or anytime.)

You know, if the law dictated that I kneel down in a particular direction, I imagine I could accomodate it. I wouldn't like it, but I'd do it. I don't think that saying under god is important enough to get upset about.

If something isn't important enough for me to feel the need to take some form of action, I don't think I'm going to waste a whole lot of time griping about it.

On the other hand, I guess this whole issue is a refreshing reminder of how great it is to be an American, though. It tells me that we still have the right to challenge laws.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:44 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by gpatmac
I still don't see how this is newsworthy or even fodder for discussion given the current political climate....It tells me that we still have the right to challenge laws.
DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

Is the POA's "under God" really that important?
Especially now?
If you don't like saying "under God", then don't ****ing say it.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:02 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Oaf
Amen.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:31 AM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by Oaf
DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

Is the POA's "under God" really that important?
Especially now?
I don't. There are, however, millions of schoolchildren being required to say it every day.

Evidently, the ninth circuit (the members of which know much more about constitutional law than you and I) feels that this is wrong.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:01 AM
VIP Member

Evidently, the ninth circuit (the members of which know much more about constitutional law than you and I) feels that this is wrong.
Then it must be.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:59 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

I don't. There are, however, millions of schoolchildren being required to say it every day.

Sorry, Charlie, there's not one student in any public school that is forced to say the POA.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Oaf
Sorry, Charlie, there's not one student in any public school that is forced to say the POA.
I had to tell my son he didn't have to say the pledge. He was forced to because he was expected to. The teacher says "class please stand and recite the pledge of allegiance" School is an acculturization program, and students are told to "obey the teacher"

Aside from that, you are frankly wrong.

http://straylight.law.cornell.edu/su...2-1624.ZS.html

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/hamilton/20040826.html

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.or...gmiret_pledge/

I could go on, but I think three state laws are enough....don't you?
Old 09-17-2005, 08:14 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

I had to tell my son he didn't have to say the pledge. He was forced to because he was expected to. The teacher says "class please stand and recite the pledge of allegiance" School is an acculturization program, and students are told to "obey the teacher"

I'm curious as to why you don't want your son to say it?
So you tell your son to stand and keep quiet. There is no law forcing your child to say the POA.

Maybe you should re-read the thre articles that you've linked.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:18 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
If you don't like it you should stand in the hallway while people who give a damn about what the country was founded on show there allegiance. Seriously if I saw the guy that took this to court I'd be tempted to knock him the **** out.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:06 AM
VIP Member

I didn't read those, but I know what the Right to Free Speech means. No one can make you say or not say anything you don't want....man, woman, or child.

I'm just curious as to why this is something that gives you so much heartburn.

I sincerely don't mean this as provacative nor as a barb, but is it a case where you'd rather not live here?
Old 09-17-2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Oaf
So you tell your son to stand and keep quiet. There is no law forcing your child to say the POA.

Maybe you should re-read the thre articles that you've linked.
I linked to three state laws that require the students to recite the pledge. Perhaps YOU should read them.

Originally Posted by first link
Petitioner school district requires each elementary school class to recite daily the Pledge of Allegiance.
Originally Posted by oaf
I never said that. He says it, and I don't mind. I simply knew that I would need to tell him that he had the freedom not to say it, despite Minnesota's pledge legislation.
Originally Posted by gpatmac
I didn't read those, but I know what the Right to Free Speech means. No one can make you say or not say anything you don't want....man, woman, or child.
Well, I agree that should be the case. That's why I agree with the ninth circuit ruling/

Originally Posted by GPM
I'm just curious as to why this is something that gives you so much heartburn.
For the same reason that the assault weapons ban gave gun fans so much heartburn....it's unconstitutional (according to them)

Originally Posted by GPM
I sincerely don't mean this as provacative nor as a barb, but is it a case where you'd rather not live here?
No.

Originally Posted by Oaf
Please prove your assertion with a link or something.....

Last edited by lojasmo; 09-17-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:19 PM
VIP Member

I just don't understand the problem. The only way you could be remotely offended by the pledge is if you were atheist. And I don't mean those that think they're atheist. I'm talking about those that are 110% certain there is no god even when their life is in jeopardy. Regardless, there shouldn't be any problem in skipping that phrase. At least do it for the sake of not offending the entire majority that is religious or agnostic. Is that really too much to ask?! Is that one second phrase really eating a hole in your side that much? It's plain stupid.

It seems like more of a problem with over controlling adults than anything. If my kids grows up to be a bible salesman then i'll support it 100% of the way. Likewise, if they're a homosexual atheist then i'll love them equally. Why do you insist on being their shadow on this issue?

Think about it. When was the last time you've been in a room where the pledge of allegiance was sung? The last time I recited it was at a hunting club assembly and that was the first time since middle school. Likewise, when you were in elementary school did you really give a damn about the pledge or realize it would be such an issue as an adult? Obviously not. Because one thing is for certain and that's the fact you're not religious and it did nothing to change who you are today, did it? Because if it did then this thread wouldn't exist and everyone would believe in god that had to sit through that grueling *sigh* 15 second pledge every morning. So where's the problem, exactly?

Last edited by Salty; 09-17-2005 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: pledge of allegiance=unconstitutional