Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Palestinians throw rocks, USA throws dollars (equally ineffective)

Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Palestinians throw rocks, USA throws dollars (equally ineffective)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/...ton/index.html

U.S. offers $900 million to Palestinians
Story Highlights
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says aid aimed particularly at Palestinians in Gaza

U.S. wants to make sure money doesn't go to Hamas leaders in Gaza, Clinton says

Clinton at donors conference at Egypt; later will travel to Israel, West Bank

(CNN) -- The United States has offered more than $900 million to help the Palestinian people, particularly those in Gaza, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced Monday.

"Only by acting now can we turn this crisis into an opportunity that moves us closer to our shared goals," Clinton said at a Gaza donors conference hosted by Egypt in the Red Sea resort city of Sharm el-Sheikh.

"By providing humanitarian assistance to Gaza, we also aim to foster conditions in which a Palestinian state can be fully realized."

She said the U.S. aid package -- which must be approved by Congress -- has been "designed in coordination with the Palestinian Authority" to make sure the money "does not end up in the wrong hands."

Clinton was referring to the Hamas leadership of Gaza, which the United States has designated a terrorist organization. The Palestinian Authority, based in the West Bank, is led by President Mahmoud Abbas, whose Fatah party is a bitter rival of Hamas. Watch CNN's Ben Wedeman on the huge challenge of rebuilding Gaza »

The token President Obama has not ruled out talks with Hamas but said the group must first renounce violence, recognize Israel, and abide by previous agreements that successive Palestinian governments have reached with the Israelis.

Clinton is on her second overseas trip as secretary of state, after a tour of Asia last month. This week's trip to the Middle East and Europe focuses on Mideast peace, NATO and relations with Russia.

After the conference in Egypt, Clinton will travel to Israel and the West Bank.

On Thursday, she heads to Brussels, Belgium, for an informal meeting of NATO foreign ministers in preparation for the NATO summit in April. The next day, Clinton is scheduled to meet with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov to begin the process of what Vice President Joe Biden has called "pressing the reset button" in the U.S.-Russian relationship.

She then heads to Ankara, Turkey, for talks with key leaders before returning to the United States on Saturday.

State Department spokesman Robert Wood said Clinton's trip is an effort to "take the pulse of various leaders" on peace in the Middle East.

Israel recently ended a three-week military campaign in Gaza to stem rocket attacks.

Despite the operation, Israel and militants in Gaza continue to trade fire.

Egypt has been trying to broker a broader peace deal to reopen Gaza's borders, which have been under an Israeli blockade. Israel has allowed limited humanitarian supplies into the Palestinian territory, but international aid organizations operating in Gaza say it is not enough. Watch Mideast envoy Tony Blair talk about challenges of helping Gaza »

Israel says it must maintain the border closure and blockade of Gaza's seaports to prevent weapons from entering Gaza. Egypt, which also shares a border with Gaza, has not reopened the Rafa border crossing.

Israel is demanding that Hamas release a kidnapped Israeli soldier before it fully reopens the border crossings with Gaza. But Hamas has rejected including the release of Gilad Shalit as part of a cease-fire negotiation with Israel.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:57 PM

Car Info: WR BLUE 2002 WRX
there you go again,the u.s.a.helping other countries when all the while here in the states we need that 900.00 million dollars for the people that does not have work here.why is it hard for the gov't.to help the people here.Yes it is noble to help others but we should help our people here first than those outside the country.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:57 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
We need to stop giving money to everyone in the middle east.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
So $900 million goes to a foreign country while our kids are loosing teacher, sports programs, after school programs, etc. My sister and dad are both educators. My father is not more than a couple years away from retiring and he might get laid off.

Hell I'd rather see some of that go to mother's cookies so I can have some damn animal cookies.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
we should take care of our debts
Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Jin
we should take care of our debts
+1

unless hammas is going to send peeps to china to overthrow them so we dont have to pay them back
Old 03-03-2009, 08:52 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Heaven forbid we give money to those dirty Muslims.

We can stop sending money to Palestine only after we stop sending money to Israel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_aid_to_Israel.gif

Edit: I'm not saying the $900 million is necessarily the best choice for us right now, I'm simply saying that if we are not going to fund the Palestinian reconstruction, we should stop funding the Israeli's as well.

Last edited by Magish; 03-03-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:02 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by Magish
Heaven forbid we give money to those dirty Muslims.

We can stop sending money to Palestine only after we stop sending money to Israel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_aid_to_Israel.gif

Edit: I'm not saying the $900 million is necessarily the best choice for us right now, I'm simply saying that if we are not going to fund the Palestinian reconstruction, we should stop funding the Israeli's as well.
I think you're inferring more than what has been said in this thread... at the very least I know you've done that with me. I don't think we should give any money or weapons to any country in the Middle East. I see no problem with sending direct reconstruction aid in the form of manpower, though.