Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Obama's Deception.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:07 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Keep in mind that I'm far from a fan of Obama--but I think there are more pressing things that are more likely to happen that we should be worrying about.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:08 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Power comes from the barrel of a gun.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:57 PM

Car Info: 05 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
That's a mighty selective highlighting job you've done there, buddy. Let's also not forget that Wikipedia is editable by any a-hole with a grudge, and isn't necessarily a valid source unless you check what sources it cites.

Now with that out of the way, I suggest you read this: http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/...un_Control.htm

Yes, he leans slightly left of center, but his voting is no more or less indicative of "taking away our guns" than any previous Democrat president.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
On what planet is a total ban on usable firearms for self defense slightly left leaning??
What is the weather like on this planet??

Please explain where you get this from??
In America, the total outlaw of semi-auto firearms and the outlawing of legitimate self defense in your home puts you more than slightly leaning left..
It puts you out in Karl Marx, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong land..
And as a side note..
Keeping Guns out of the inner cities is:
1. Unrealistic--Criminals will get guns.
2. Classist I suppose only rich uptowners and folks that can afford bodyguards have a right to secure in their persons..
3. Racist.. Most of the time these laws affect Minorities disproportionately when compared to whites.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:00 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
That's a mighty selective highlighting job you've done there, buddy. Let's also not forget that Wikipedia is editable by any a-hole with a grudge, and isn't necessarily a valid source unless you check what sources it cites.

Now with that out of the way, I suggest you read this: http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/...un_Control.htm

Yes, he leans slightly left of center, but his voting is no more or less indicative of "taking away our guns" than any previous Democrat president.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
OK.......

Opposed bill okaying illegal gun use in home invasions

The measure passed the Illinois Senate by a vote of 38-20. Barack Obama was one of the 20 state senators voting against the measure.
What is "illegal gun use in home invasion"? There is no "shoot to kill" or "aim center mass" laws for home invasions that I'm aware of.

Ok for states & cities to determine local gun laws

Q: Is the D.C. law prohibiting ownership of handguns consistent with an individual’s right to bear arms?

A: As a general principle, I believe that the Constitution confers an individual right to bear arms. But just because you have an individual right does not mean that the state or local government can’t constrain the exercise of that right, in the same way that we have a right to private property but local governments can establish zoning ordinances that determine how you can use it.

Q: But do you still favor the registration & licensing of guns?

A: I think we can provide common-sense approaches to the issue of illegal guns that are ending up on the streets. We can make sure that criminals don’t have guns in their hands. We can make certain that those who are mentally deranged are not getting a hold of handguns. We can trace guns that have been used in crimes to unscrupulous gun dealers that may be selling to straw purchasers and dumping them on the streets.
You can't control criminal gun activity with more laws. That's not common sense. People who do things illegally aren't going to stop because you just made more of the things they do illegal.

Enforcement of the laws we have is what's needed. Not more laws that we can't enforce and make it a burdon on law biding citizens.

FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban

Obama was being misleading when he denied that his handwriting had been on a document endorsing a state ban on the sale and possession of handguns in Illinois. Obama responded, “No, my writing wasn’t on that particular questionnaire. As I said, I have never favored an all-out ban on handguns.”

Actually, Obama’s writing was on the 1996 document, which was filed when Obama was running for the Illinois state Senate. A Chicago nonprofit, Independent Voters of Illinois, had this question, and Obama took hard line:

35. Do you support state legislation to:
a. ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.
b. ban assault weapons? Yes.
c. mandatory waiting periods and background checks? Yes.

Obama’s campaign said, “Sen. Obama didn’t fill out these state Senate questionnaires--a staffer did--and there are several answers that didn’t reflect his views then or now. He may have jotted some notes on the front page of the questionnaire, but some answers didn’t reflect his views.”
Looks more like he was backpedaling more than an honest mistake.

Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok

Q: You said recently, “I have no intention of taking away folks’ guns.” But you support the D.C. handgun ban, and you’ve said that it’s constitutional. How do you reconcile those two positions?

A: Because I think we have two conflicting traditions in this country. I think it’s important for us to recognize that we’ve got a tradition of handgun ownership and gun ownership generally. And a lot of law-abiding citizens use it for hunting, for sportsmanship, and for protecting their families. We also have a violence on the streets that is the result of illegal handgun usage. And so I think there is nothing wrong with a community saying we are going to take those illegal handguns off the streets. And cracking down on the various loopholes that exist in terms of background checks for children, the mentally ill. We can have reasonable, thoughtful gun control measure that I think respect the Second Amendment and people’s traditions.
The only conclusion I can come to is that local gun bans are legitimate because he believes it will keep guns off the "streets".

That is a complete falsehood. Criminals will get their guns no mater what.

I don't have time to follow through with the rest of that page. But you can see where I'm going with this. The sky is not falling and Obama is not histrically speaking, moderate on gun control.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Power comes from the barrel of a gun.
-Mao Zedong
Old 03-13-2009, 05:10 PM

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
OK.......

What is "illegal gun use in home invasion"? There is no "shoot to kill" or "aim center mass" laws for home invasions that I'm aware of.
Chicago has a Handgun ban almost identical to DC's (And the crime rate to go along with that)
People were being charged with illegal handgun possession.. Basically you would be charged when you shot some S***bag defending your family.
The bill was to prevent being charged in an otherwise lawful defense of home/family..
Which is why it's so despicable that he voted against it..

You can't control criminal gun activity with more laws. That's not common sense. People who do things illegally aren't going to stop because you just made more of the things they do illegal.

Enforcement of the laws we have is what's needed. Not more laws that we can't enforce and make it a burdon on law biding citizens.
Well said..

The only conclusion I can come to is that local gun bans are legitimate because he believes it will keep guns off the "streets".

That is a complete falsehood. Criminals will get their guns no mater what

Yup back peddling.. a vocal anti gunner (supposedly can't be president..) he was trying to regain some credibility with at least some gun owners stupid enough to vote for him.. If not for sights like on the issues no-one would know exactly and he could paint himself as moderate..

I don't have time to follow through with the rest of that page. But you can see where I'm going with this. The sky is not falling and Obama is not historically speaking, moderate on gun control.
Yup.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:13 PM

Car Info: Nadda
If you are a citizen of the states, you should believe in the constitution. And the constitution doesn't say "we can have nukes, and we'll just build bases in FOREIGN countries to make sure they can't build nukes" I mean we have bases in more than half the countries on the planet. Why do you think all other nations are opposed to our foreign policy as many others? We're almost to the point of blowing people up because we want them to shut up than to "negotiate" anything.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
i tried to watch the video, i really did. i even made it past the eloquent "america is like burger king" and "america is like wrestlitng" comparisons and the expert political analysis of people like fear factor host and comedian, joe rogan. but it lost me at this quote, "this movie will prove that obama promises one thing, and does another."

wow! you can prove that politicians don't follow through on their promises? holy crap! alert teh media!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:54 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
im all for the waiting period/backround check on getting a gun
Old 03-14-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
im all for the waiting period/backround check on getting a gun
Waiting periods were designed back when it took 10 or so days to do a BG check..
The waiting period isn't required anymore since NICS checks became instant.

And on it's face a bg check/waiting period isn't bad..
In practice though, the law costs money, and does nothing to actually prevent crime.

And though it's been stated at least a hundred times.. Criminals get guns, the above laws only empower criminals by creating unarmed victims.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
things are starting to make sense... haha all the evil in the world ties together quite well with this explanation...
Old 03-14-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tizzo27
On what planet is a total ban on usable firearms for self defense slightly left leaning??
What is the weather like on this planet??

Please explain where you get this from??
In America, the total outlaw of semi-auto firearms and the outlawing of legitimate self defense in your home puts you more than slightly leaning left..
It puts you out in Karl Marx, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong land..
And as a side note..
Keeping Guns out of the inner cities is:
1. Unrealistic--Criminals will get guns.
2. Classist I suppose only rich uptowners and folks that can afford bodyguards have a right to secure in their persons..
3. Racist.. Most of the time these laws affect Minorities disproportionately when compared to whites.
That's a nice rant, but two things (I'll do 'em in list form, since you seem to like that):

1. When did Obama's actions show support of a "total ban" of "usable" firearms for self defense? (And wtf is a "usable firearm"? Wouldn't an unusable firearm be a broken gun?)
2. What does Karl Marx have to do with gun control? Don't throw out names just to try sound smart, it never works.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:20 PM

OK.......

It means that you cannot own an illegal gun and use it for self defense in your home. i.e., he opposed a bill saying that you could use illegal weapons for defense against home invasion.

I agree.

You're entitled to your opinion. I judge actions.

I'm sure that's what it is--but make no mistake, if the Republicans thought they could get away with something similar and not lose a majority of their base, they would do it in a heartbeat.

That is a complete falsehood. Criminals will get their guns no mater what.
Gun control laws don't keep guns away from criminals, they keep them away from law-abiding citizens.

I don't have time to follow through with the rest of that page. But you can see where I'm going with this. The sky is not falling and Obama is not histrically speaking, moderate on gun control.
I do see where you're going with this, but you ignored the part where I said he was no worse than any other previous Democrat president. That was my point, and that point is correct.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by iLoqin
If you are a citizen of the states, you should believe in the constitution. And the constitution doesn't say "we can have nukes, and we'll just build bases in FOREIGN countries to make sure they can't build nukes" I mean we have bases in more than half the countries on the planet. Why do you think all other nations are opposed to our foreign policy as many others? We're almost to the point of blowing people up because we want them to shut up than to "negotiate" anything.
Well said. Imperialism is the death of democracy.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:25 PM

Here's a quote that sums up perfectly what the right to bear arms is about:

"The Second amendment is not about hunting deer or keeping a pistol in your nightstand. It is not about protecting oneself against common criminals. It is about preventing tyranny."

Quick Reply: Obama's Deception.