Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

My nomination for the next Pulitzer photo

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 09:53 AM

Car Info: 02 BRP 2.5RS-T
My nomination for the next Pulitzer photo

Mosul

Major Mark Bieger found this little girl after the car bomb that attacked our guys while kids were crowding around. The soldiers here have been angry and sad for two days. They are angry because the terrorists could just as easily have waited a block or two and attacked the patrol away from the kids. Instead, the suicide bomber drove his car and hit the Stryker when about twenty children were jumping up and down and waving at the soldiers. Major Bieger, I had seen him help rescue some of our guys a week earlier during another big attack, took some of our soldiers and rushed this little girl to our hospital. He wanted her to have American surgeons and not to go to the Iraqi hospital. She didn't make it. I snapped this picture when Major Bieger ran to take her away. He kept stopping to talk with her and hug her.

The soldiers went back to that neighborhood the next day to ask what they could do. The people were very warming and welcomed us into their homes, and many kids were actually running up to say hello and to ask soldiers to shake hands.

Eventually, some insurgents must have realized we were back and started shooting at us. The American soldiers and Iraqi police started engaging the enemy and there was a running gun battle. I saw at least one IP who was shot, but he looked okay and actually smiled at me despite the big bullet hole in his leg. I smiled back.

One thing seems certain; the people in that neighborhood share our feelings about the terrorists. We are going to go back there, and if any terrorists come out, the soldiers hope to find them. Everybody is still very angry that the insurgents attacked us when the kids were around. Their day will come.

http://michaelyon.blogspot.com/2005/05/little-girl.html
Old 05-05-2005, 09:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Nice pic. 25ID and tabbed. Anyone you know, gpatmac?
Old 05-05-2005, 10:31 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
The LTG at our school won his Medal of Honor with the "Tropical Lightning".
Old 05-05-2005, 12:26 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Very moving.