Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

The Miss Education of Republicans..

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 12:42 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
Originally Posted by MVWRX
http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/systems/haarp.htm

That link describes the technology and is a research proposal to set up stations around the globe for military use (haven't done it yet, but the technology is around, just not in a standardized form that can cover the whole NHemisphere like they propose).

http://www.sandia.gov/RIE/OilAndGasA.htm

This one describes Sandia using the same technology to find gas/oil. They have been testing for many years, and I'm sure our military has some working prototypes of this type of technology.

Haven't you seen the pictures they show on the news of underground-imaged bunkers?
In addition to all this, I'm sure X-rays and even the newly developed T-rays could be used.

All I'm saying is that there really isn't anywhere in Iraq where a bunch of WMDs could be hidden...we would have found them by now. And Rumsfeld admited he they were wrong about the WMDs because...gasp...they were!
How would we have found them by now when the means to do so are stil being developed?
Old 10-25-2004, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by syncopation
easy there on your own fallacious arguments:

Appeal To Complexity:
if the arguer doesn't understand the topic, he concludes that nobody understands it. So, his opinions are as good as anybody's.

You caught me.

I actually do know something about the technology, and, although it may not be easy (as in quick and effortless), it can be done, and is being done.
Well then we'll reserve judgement until that time that it is done then, no?

In addition:
Burden Of Proof:
the claim that whatever has not yet been proved false must be true (or vice versa). Essentially the arguer claims that he should win by default if his opponent can't make a strong enough case.
We're both guilty of that. But it does bring light to the fact that there is no proof, which makes for a weak argument does it not?

There may be three problems here. First, the arguer claims priority - but why is it him who wins by default? Second, he is impatient with ambiguity, and wants a final answer right away. And third, "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Did that make you feel smart?
Old 10-25-2004, 01:00 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wgn
Originally Posted by deyes
Did that make you feel smart?

yep

All I'm saying is if your gonna be a smart *** then at least bring the smart too.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:11 PM

Oh, its already been broughten!
Old 10-25-2004, 01:16 PM

lol

it's all about the strategery
Old 10-25-2004, 01:20 PM

Lol!
Old 10-25-2004, 01:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Still waiting on someone to answer this for us, Guru, Salty, deyes???

Where is the outrage that tons of this material has gone missing under the 'watchful eye' of our military? Why is the first instinct---"see, I told you they have WMD" instead of, "holy ****, our military just let 380 tons of explosives dissapear into thin air"
To me that is even more important than the WMD thing. The sad thing is these "missing" explosives are probably going to be used to kill coalition troops
Old 10-25-2004, 01:51 PM

I'm outraged! Did we know it was there before we went in? If so why did we not plan for it? Who was in charge of securing these types of facillities? Was it just that we were unable to secure that facillity before other objectives were accomplished, or was it completely overlooked?
Old 10-25-2004, 02:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by deyes
I'm outraged! Did we know it was there before we went in? If so why did we not plan for it? Who was in charge of securing these types of facillities? Was it just that we were unable to secure that facillity before other objectives were accomplished, or was it completely overlooked?
You should be....Obviously we knew about it because it was at a old WMD factory. I don't know about you guys but I would think that protecting 380 tons of conventional explosives would be a high priority thing for the military. At least move them somewhere where they can be easily protected. As if the threat of getting killed or mamed by a roadside bomb is bad enough our troops get to worry about which John Q Terrorist got his hands on enough explosives to wipe out the Eastern Seaboard!!!!!!!!! Sadly there will be no shortage of bomb making materials for terrorists in Iraq now. As it is I am sure this will just get "swept under the rug" by the current administration....broom in hand all the while telling everyone that the conflict in Iraq is going great!
Old 10-25-2004, 02:09 PM

Who was in charge of securing these types of facillities? Was it just that we were unable to secure that facillity before other objectives were accomplished, or was it completely overlooked? Someone in charge screwed up, but I'm not convinced that the president is necessarily to blame. But as in most cases there is plenty of blame to go around.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:19 PM

Maybe the article is down?

qoute:
"The huge facility, called Al Qaqaa, was supposed to be under American military control but is now a no man's land, still picked over by looters as recently as Sunday.....Pentagon officials acknowledge that the explosives vanished sometime after the American-led invasion last year."
unquote

Let me retract the statement that this was being guarded by our military, it was not. Apparently the responsibility falls on the Coalition Provisional Authority, an American-led entity that was the highest civilian authority in Iraq until it handed sovereignty of the country over to the interim government on June 28.

But let me ask this...should this have been guarded by our military? Salty, I'm assuming you may have some munitions experience, what are your thoughts?
Old 10-25-2004, 02:25 PM

Maybe the article is down?

qoute:
"The huge facility, called Al Qaqaa, was supposed to be under American military control but is now a no man's land, still picked over by looters as recently as Sunday.....Pentagon officials acknowledge that the explosives vanished sometime after the American-led invasion last year."
unquote

Let me retract the statement that this was being guarded by our military, it was not. Apparently the responsibility falls on the Coalition Provisional Authority, an American-led entity that was the highest civilian authority in Iraq until it handed sovereignty of the country over to the interim government on June 28.

But let me ask this...should this have been guarded by our military? Salty, I'm assuming you may have some munitions experience, what are your thoughts?
In terms of WMD's: If this is a facility that needed guarding because the transfer of these materials to terrorists would create a grave threat, then Saddam had the capability to enable terrorists to start their own WMD programs. This is one of Bush's key points, and it's also something that came out in the reports. Saddam was waiting for international pressure to die off so that he could resume what he had shut down. His bribery of UN officials is further evidence of this.

Now, on the issue of technology, if you're familiar with this, you know that it is utterly and completely impossible to search an entire country for objects smaller than the size of an enormous building. Even a bunker is hard enough to find in an area thousands of square miles large. The "whole country" scan is a myth. Without knowing roughly where to look, you won't find in a sandbox the size of Iraq.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by subaruguru
In terms of WMD's: If this is a facility that needed guarding because the transfer of these materials to terrorists would create a grave threat, then Saddam had the capability to enable terrorists to start their own WMD programs. This is one of Bush's key points, and it's also something that came out in the reports. Saddam was waiting for international pressure to die off so that he could resume what he had shut down. His bribery of UN officials is further evidence of this.

Now, on the issue of technology, if you're familiar with this, you know that it is utterly and completely impossible to search an entire country for objects smaller than the size of an enormous building. Even a bunker is hard enough to find in an area thousands of square miles large. The "whole country" scan is a myth. Without knowing roughly where to look, you won't find in a sandbox the size of Iraq.
These are conventional weapons that can be purchased easily in a number of countries and are not tracked. Why I think they should be guarded is that now pedestrian militants are able to obtain them freely and easily, which could bring more harm to our troops stationed in Iraq. Since there is no Al Qaeda/Iraq connection known, the most likely outlet for these weapons will be against coalition forces in Iraq.

Sure Saddam could have enabled the terrorists, but Al Qaeda and Iraq had no connections!!!!! Stop thinking that Saddam was meeting with Osama, they never played golf on the weekends!!! They didn't have a time share in Monaco. Perhaps you mean other terrorists? Maybe he would enable the Haganah (yeah, right). Please be specific when you write 'terrorist' and don't confuse them with militants.

Yeah, this is one of Bush's points, but he is confusing you. Don't let him think for you. Any building contractor/demolotion contractor (OK, you need to be certified)can get this stuff, so does this mean they could possibly "enable the terrorists?"

Please don't tell me what is impossible technologically unless you have some serious education/background to back this up. If you are ignorant of the technology of which I write, then you should take some E & M physics and start with the elementary concept of a metal detector. I did not say it was easy, can do it in a day, cheap, inexpensive, or anything else of the sort. It is a time consuming process that is being done/has been going on since the gulf war. Opposite to some opinions, we do not have soldiers digging holes when a divining rod starts to quiver.

Hard to find and impossible to find are not the same thing.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:04 PM

These are conventional weapons that can be purchased easily in a number of countries and are not tracked. Why I think they should be guarded is that now pedestrian militants are able to obtain them freely and easily, which could bring more harm to our troops stationed in Iraq. Since there is no Al Qaeda/Iraq connection known, the most likely outlet for these weapons will be against coalition forces in Iraq.

Sure Saddam could have enabled the terrorists, but Al Qaeda and Iraq had no connections!!!!! Stop thinking that Saddam was meeting with Osama, they never played golf on the weekends!!! They didn't have a time share in Monaco. Perhaps you mean other terrorists? Maybe he would enable the Haganah (yeah, right). Please be specific when you write 'terrorist' and don't confuse them with militants.

Yeah, this is one of Bush's points, but he is confusing you. Don't let him think for you. Any building contractor/demolotion contractor (OK, you need to be certified)can get this stuff, so does this mean they could possibly "enable the terrorists?"

Please don't tell me what is impossible technologically unless you have some serious education/background to back this up. If you are ignorant of the technology of which I write, then you should take some E & M physics and start with the elementary concept of a metal detector. I did not say it was easy, can do it in a day, cheap, inexpensive, or anything else of the sort. It is a time consuming process that is being done/has been going on since the gulf war. Opposite to some opinions, we do not have soldiers digging holes when a divining rod starts to quiver.

Hard to find and impossible to find are not the same thing.
First of all, I'd like to know in what country over the counter sales of the specific items and explosives that were supposed to be guarded are allowed. Of those countries, how many allow foreign nationals to undertake such purchases for export without acting on behalf of a state.

The Saddam terrorism connection has nothing to do with personal contacts. He was a known sponsor of terrorism, as he sponsored suicide bombings and publically stated on numerous occasions that one of his primary goals was to destroy Israel. That gives him an aligned interest with terrorists everywhere, and there's no reason to assume he wouldn't have ever acted on that. He may have in the past. As you said, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Now, as to your request for "education" in the physics of this I have something better: First hand accounts from numerous intelligence officers as to the search capabilities of the United States. I've personally seen George Tenet, though he didn't speak about intelligence gathering capabilities the time I saw, and several of the faculty at my former institution are retired CIA and continue to advise on matters of intelligence gathering and national security. Now, you may have taken a physics course of something...but that's not going to give you direct experience with intelligence gathering techniques. So, if you've got something that demonstrates my information is dated (current as of 2003), I'd be glad to hear it. If not, I'd recommend you do some studying of your own.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by subaruguru
First of all, I'd like to know in what country over the counter sales of the specific items and explosives that were supposed to be guarded are allowed. Of those countries, how many allow foreign nationals to undertake such purchases for export without acting on behalf of a state.

The fact that they can't just be bought "over the counter" only highlights what a major F up this is. Sure, I guess Sadaam could have given this stuff to terrorists, but seeing as how he had it in a secure location shows that he didn't. This stuff didn't get stolen under Sadaam's watch, it got stolen under ours. We basically just gave this stuff to the terrorists (whome otherwise would have a hard time getting ahold of it in this large of a quantity) this stuff for FREE. If you are trying to hint that the fact Sadaam had ordinary explosives was reason enough to invade Iraq, I question your sanity.

-Chris

Quick Reply: The Miss Education of Republicans..