Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Memorial Day Desecration

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:35 AM

Car Info: Sline
Memorial Day Desecration

We thought at first it was just a prank-type deal at first. We were very upset about it and so forth but now we know that this is a real deal," said David Resch, a past commander of American Legion Post 93 in Eastsound, Wash. "This is a **** act, not just somebody going out there and desecrating things for the fun of it."

No one has taken responsibility for back-to-back flag desecrations at the Woodlawn Cemetery in Orcas Island, Wash., according to San Juan County Sheriff Bill Cumming.
On Sunday morning, members of the Boyle B. Martin American Legion post found desecrated the flags of 97 veterans. Of those, 46 flag standards were empty, 33 contained burned flags and 14 had been replaced with handmade swastika flags, authorities said.
Resch kept watch early Monday after legionnaires replaced the flags, but the vandals struck again under the cover of darkness.
Thirty-three flags had been replaced with hand-drawn swastika flags, according to the San Juan County Sheriff's Office in Friday Harbor, Wash.
Officials are trying to get physical evidence, such as fingerprints, from the paper and duct tape left behind.

The crimes have stunned this small community of approximately 5,000 people.

"It's a small island, and I think if it's local folks that did it, everybody kind of talks to everybody about certain things, you know," said Pierrette Guimond, district commissioner for San Juan Cemetery District No. 3, which includes Woodlawn.
"If people want to protest something this is not the place to do it," Guimond said. "People go there to think about the people that went to war for their country and stuff like that. It's a really sacred place."

The vandalism is considered a hate crime under Washington state law, Cumming said.
Fox News Article

This is absolutely despicable. It makes me sick to my stomach that someone would disrespect a soldier's grave like this. Especially one that fought to defend their freedom to live in a country that allows them to have views like this. But to express them in this sort of way is greatly immature and uncalled for. If this happened to the grave of one of my grandfather's that fought in WWII, I would be even more livid and speechless than I already am.

I hope these f***ers are found, prosecuted, and put away as long as possible.

Words can't express how I feel.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Here's another one: http://contracostatimes.com/nationandworld/ci_6011853

The Sheriff in that article is right. It's not Free Speech when you go to a cemetery and destroy property. And you're not respecting Soldiers and the country when you do this or burn a flag in effigy.

Found this elsewhere:

Orcas Island can be reached from the mainland via a leisurely ferry ride from Anacortes or by seaplane from Seattle or Portland
So maybe it was some liberal or anarchist from the town? I thought it would have been someone from Seattle but a seaplane seems like a tad much.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:31 AM

Car Info: Sline
Yeah, but it could have been someone visiting for the weekend. But I would put my money on a local.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by Salty
Here's another one: http://contracostatimes.com/nationandworld/ci_6011853

The Sheriff in that article is right. It's not Free Speech when you go to a cemetery and destroy property. And you're not respecting Soldiers and the country when you do this or burn a flag in effigy.

Found this elsewhere:

So maybe it was some liberal or anarchist from the town? I thought it would have been someone from Seattle but a seaplane seems like a tad much.
Have liberals or anarchists taken up the swastica now? Seems to me more like the work of Westboro or something like it. They like to desecrate anything related to soldiers.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by Salty
The sheriff is 100% right. If someone goes out to the store, buys a flag and burns it then it is considered free speech but tresspassing onto private property to burn the flags placed in memorium of a soldier is disgusting.

Unfortunately in cases like these the perpetrators hardly ever get caught without eyewitnesses. Maybe they were stupid enough to leave behind fingerprints.