Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Letter from A-Stan

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Letter from A-Stan

Got this from Blackfive. Some of it I don't particularly agree with such as people not being able to question the President. Other than that there are a lot of good points, some of which a lot of servicemen can relate to. Things like prioritizing, arm-chair QBing, ROE, support, etc.

Worth reading the entire letter.

------

Things that I am tired of in this war:

I am tired of Democrats saying they are patriotic and then insulting my commander in chief and the way he goes about his job.

I am tired of Democrats who tell me they support me, the soldier on the ground, and then tell me the best plan to win this war is with a “phased redeployment” (liberal-speak for retreat) out of the combat zone to someplace like Okinawa.

I am tired of the Democrats whining for months on T.V., in the New York Times, and in the House and Senate that we need more troops to win the war in Iraq, and then when my Commander in Chief plans to do just that, they say that is the wrong plan, it won’t work, and we need a “new direction.”

I am tired of every Battalion Sergeant Major and Command Sergeant Major I see over here being more concerned about whether or not I am wearing my uniform in the “spot on,” most garrison-like manner; instead of asking me whether or not I am getting the equipment I need to win the fight, the support I need from my chain of command, or if the chow tastes good.

I am tired of junior and senior officers continually doubting the technical expertise of junior enlisted soldiers who are trained far better to do the jobs they are trained for than these officers believe.

I am tired of senior officers and commanders who fight this war with more of an eye on the media than on the enemy, who desperately needs killing.

I am tired of the decisions of Sergeants and Privates made in the heat of battle being scrutinized by lawyers who were not there and will never really know the state of mind of the young soldiers who were there and what is asked of them in order to survive.

I am tired of CNN claiming that they are showing “news,” with videotape sent to them by terrorists, of my comrades being shot at by snipers, but refusing to show what happens when we build a school, pave a road, hand out food and water to children, or open a water treatment plant.

I am tired of following the enemy with drones that have cameras, and then dropping bombs that sometimes kill civilians; because we could do a better job of killing the right people by sending a man with a high powered rifle instead.

I am tired of the thousands of people in the rear who claim that they are working hard to support me when I see them with their mochas and their PX Bags walking down the street, in the middle of the day, nowhere near their workspaces.

I am tired of Code Pink, Daily Kos, Al-Jazzera, CNN, Reuters, the Associated Press, ABC, NBC, CBS, the ACLU, and CAIR thinking that they somehow get to have a vote in how we blast, shoot and kill these animals who would seek to subdue us and destroy us.

I am tired of people like Meredith Vieria from NBC asking oxygen thieves like Senator Chuck Hagel questions like “Senator, at this point, do you think we are fighting and dying for nothing?” Meredith might not get it, but soldiers do know the difference between fighting and dying for something and fighting and dying for nothing.

I am tired of hearing multiple stories from both combat theaters about snipers begging to do their jobs while commanders worry about how the media might portray the possible casualties and what might happen to their career.

I am tired of hearing that the Battalion Tactical Operations Center got a new plasma screen monitor for daily briefings, but rifle scope rings for sniper rifles, extra magazines, and necessary field gear were disapproved by the unit supply system.

I am tired of out of touch general officers, senators, congressmen and defense officials who think that giving me some more heavy body armor to wear is helping me stay alive. Speed is life in combat and wearing 55 to 90 pounds of gear for 12 to 20 hours a day puts me at a great tactical disadvantage to the idiot, mindless terrorist who is wearing no armor at all and carrying an AK-47 and a pistol.

I am tired of soldiers who are stationed in places like Kuwait and who are well away from any actual combat getting Hostile Fire/Imminent Danger Pay and the Combat Zone Tax Exclusion when they live on a base that has a McDonald’s, a Pizza Hut, a Subway, a Baskin Robbins, an internet café, 2 coffee shops and street lights.

I am tired of senior officers and commanders who take it out and "measure" every time they want to have a piece of the action with their helicopters or their artillery; instead of putting their egos aside and using their equipment to support the grunt on the ground.

I am tired of senior officers and commanders who are too afraid for their careers to tell the truth about what they need to win this war to their bosses so that the soldiers can get on with kicking the *** of these animals.

I am tired of Rules of Engagement being made by JAG lawyers and not Combat Commanders. We are not playing Hopscotch over here. There is no 2nd place trophy either. I think that if the enemy knew some rough treatment and some deprivation was at hand for them, instead of prayer rugs, special diets and free Korans; this might help get their terrorist minds “right.”

I am tired of seeing Active Duty Army and Marine units being extended past their original redeployment dates, when there are National Guard Units that have yet to deploy to a combat zone in the last 40 years.

I am tired of hearing soldiers who are stationed in safe places talk about how hard their life is.

I am tired of seeing Infantry Soldiers conducting what amounts to “SWAT” raids and performing the US Army’s version of “CSI Iraq” and doing things like filling out forms for evidence when they could be better used to hunt and kill the enemy.

I am tired of senior officers and commanders who look first in their planning for how many casualties we might take, instead of how many enemy casualties we might inflict.

I am tired of begging to be turned loose so that this war can be over.

Those of us who fight this war want to win it and go home to their families. Prolonging it with attempts to do things like collect “evidence” or present whiz bang briefings on a new plasma screen TV is wasteful and ultimately, dulls the edge of our Infantry soldiers who are trained to kill people and break things, not necessarily in that order.

We are not in Iraq and Afghanistan to build nations. We are there to kill our enemies. We make the work of the State Department easier by the results we achieve.

It is only possible to defeat an enemy who kills indiscriminately by utterly destroying him. He cannot be made to yield or surrender. He will fight to the death by the hundreds to kill only one or two of us.

And so far, all of our “games” have been “away games,” and I don’t know about the ignorant, treasonous Democrats and the completely insane radical leftists and their thoughts on the matter, but I would like to keep our road game schedule.

So let’s get it done. Until the fight is won and there is no more fight left.

-D
Old 02-01-2007, 10:42 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I am tired of begging to be turned loose so that this war can be over.

Straight from the horse's ****ing mouth!!

These stupid mother****ing nay sayers need to read the memoirs of the NVA commanders.
They knew that they had lost the war, had lost Tet, until Walter Cronkite & the Anti War Commies lied.

String 'em all up as warning to others.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:54 PM

Car Info: ...

Last edited by lethalpsi; 01-02-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by lethalpsi
If this fool wants to b1tch about his circumstances; he should take a position with a contractor. That way, he'd be able to shoot the children throwing rocks at him, or anyone else he deems fit to be shot.

Hooah Kiddo-Killers!
Wow, you have proved your moronism beyond any doubt.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally Posted by lethalpsi
If this fool wants to b1tch about his circumstances; he should take a position with a contractor. That way, he'd be able to shoot the children throwing rocks at him, or anyone else he deems fit to be shot.

Hooah Kiddo-Killers!
That don't make any sense.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by gpatmac
That don't make any sense.
What he said ^^^
Old 02-02-2007, 07:24 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
If you know how some "contractors" operate over there, it makes perfect sense.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:17 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by psoper
If you know how some "contractors" operate over there, it makes perfect sense.
Do you know?
Please enlighten us.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:31 AM

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...warriors/view/

I'm not saying all of them, but surely you've seen this little joy ride:
http://tomgriffin.typepad.com/AEGISPSD.wmv

Seriously, who are they accountable to?

makes ya proud ta be a'merikan!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:53 AM

Car Info: Sline
No sound, not sure what was going on in that video, just someone getting shot at and wounded. I'll watch it at home with sound. I take it that they are shooting at U.S. civilian contractors.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:09 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...warriors/view/

I'm not saying all of them, but surely you've seen this little joy ride:
http://tomgriffin.typepad.com/AEGISPSD.wmv

Seriously, who are they accountable to?

You based your viewpoint from that one video?
Hmmm.
What was going on in front of the vehicle?
What sign, if any, was posted on the rear of the vehicle?
What was being transmitted over the radio?

Maybe it was a rolling ambush/trap?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Because we all know you are...

Could very well be a rolling ambush. Happens all the time to our guys over there. They know what's happening in that given situation, we don't. Men in their team may of had eyes on those vehicles for hours knowing they contain insurgents. All we hear is a soundtrack. If they stop or don't engage suspected vehicles like that then they die.

A lot of these contractors are infantry and better. Most are prior SOF with years of experience. They know what has to be done in a given situation. They can diagnose a situation like a doctor can a patient. They have no intentions of hurting innocent bystanders.

It scares people like you when a system of checks and balances isn't as stringent or a similar ROE like the one set in place for our servicemen isn’t in place. Did you read the part of the letter Paul has in giant bold? We should be so lucky knowing there's highly trained people down there like this that still take their service oaths seriously killing bad guys instead of detaining them, processing their name as having been arrested 4 previous times, declaring them the "village idiot" instead of a real insurgent, and then releasing them back into the concrete jungle.

We NEVER had a chance of winning this war because of the fact our men have to walk on egg shells in order to answer fully to you, the media, REMFs, etc. At least if we gave more leeway to the men and women we’ve poured billions of training dollars into during peacetime, then we could say we gave it our best shots instead of wondering what could have been (which we are now)! Like i’ve said in pervious threads this occupation has seriously revamped my criteria for entering war. I won’t even begin consider approval for war unless the literacy rate of the country is higher, ROE is less strict, I can go on for days.

Last edited by Salty; 02-02-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:17 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Do you know?
Please enlighten us.
Exactly...He doesn't know. He saw some internet video and he thinks he has all this knowledge. Whatever.....

He gives real democrats a bad name.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:50 PM

Did any of you yahoos see or bother to even look at the Frontline program I also linked to?

And for the record- I have no affiliation with the Democratic party whatsoever, never registered as one, and only rarely even vote for any of them.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:14 PM
VIP Member

Did any of you yahoos see or bother to even look at the Frontline program I also linked to?
It doesn't matter. You substantiated lethalpsi's ridiculous baby killer comment by saying something about knowing contractors over there and posting a video that you honestly can't tell what is really going on.

I mean I really want to know what you see in that video that us un-enlightened have failed to see. Is there any pretext for this video? Was it even shot in Iraq? Afghanistan? Or was this in some completely different country. Are the people in the vehicle really contractors or are they insurgents? Did I miss something here?

You can't hear any voices in that video just music blaring on the radio. For all we know it's just a bunch of insurgents riding around shooting people. Unless you have some knowledge about it that you didn't share with us. Maybe a more useful link that some Irish bloggers page?

And for the record- I have no affiliation with the Democratic party whatsoever, never registered as one, and only rarely even vote for any of them.
What, too conservative for your tastes?

Last edited by SilverScoober02; 02-02-2007 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Letter from A-Stan