Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Jarhead

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 09:21 PM

Car Info: Sline
Jarhead

So I just saw the movie. If you haven't seen it, GO SEE IT! The movie is so well made it's amazing. I really want to know how realistic it is. As far as the attacks, the training, etc. If you have never been in the military or do not know much about it. this movie will give you TONS of insight.

The main character is from, of all places, Sacramento. Supposedly it's based on a book, I need to read it.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:30 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
so many people prematurely attacked this movie as being anti-war and anti-american.....i found it to not be too liberal, and found it quite interesting
Old 11-10-2005, 09:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
i found it quite stupid and lame...
Old 11-10-2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by zumnwrx
i found it quite stupid and lame...
Seriously? I thought it was one of the better war movies I've seen, I might go as far as to say better than Platoon.

Originally Posted by spedmunki
so many people prematurely attacked this movie as being anti-war and anti-american.....i found it to not be too liberal, and found it quite interesting
I did not think it leaned towards either party. It was pretty unbiased in showing the numbers along with the personal views of the soldiers.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:01 PM

Most people I talked to that didn't like it, just didn't get it. They couldn't fathom a war movie that wasn't an action movie. They are the same crowd that didn't like Dr. Strangelove, or Apocalypse Now, and don't get Monty Python movies.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by jvick125
Seriously? I thought it was one of the better war movies I've seen, I might go as far as to say better than Platoon.
um... blackhawk down? saving private ryan????

this is a fake movie how could it possible be "one of the beter war movies"?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by jvick125
I really want to know how realistic it is. As far as the attacks, the training, etc. If you have never been in the military or do not know much about it. this movie will give you TONS of insight.
I haven't even seen it and can tell you it's completely full of **** regarding tactics, realism, and will not give reasonable insight on how the military works. Besides, any movie with Kane West on the soundtrack gets precisely $0 from me.

Swofford was STA 2/7 in the Palms. Never was a formally school trained 8541 (sniper) but took the indoc (which happened sometimes as commanders sometimes gave their men the 8541 ASI back then). STA platoons are "supposed" to have the top 10% of the marines in the battalion. But Swofford, given his ability to write well, used his experiences as a bitter LCpl to smear the STA as a bunch of sh!tbirds in order to make money. Face it, drama and disorder sells. Imagine how boring a book would have been if there had been one ate-up Marine (which would have been believable).

Yes, during Swofford's time trying to get "salts" into STA was relatively hard as the chain of command made it to where most of their picks were straight out of SOI (Marine Infantry School). But still, the crap that I heard was done in the movie would of had you sh!tcanned in the Corps as a cook. From what i've been told, that's basically all this movie is with a Hollywood "look at me i'm taking mortar fire while not taking cover" twist.

The worst part is that in the mix of all this Hollywood bull****, wannabees will actually look at STA's and everything below STA (line unit) as just a joke when it's really not.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:15 PM

Car Info: wrx
i watched this movie not for politics, not relating on the war going on right now, not about history, but just for entertainment, humor, hanging out for friends, with good directing, good visuals, and i give thumbs up on the acting. so it accomplished what i paid for, wait no i didnt pay for my ticket, nor my two bags of popcorn, nor the second movie i saw right after, nor the free soda. why? cause i got hOOOOked up by my friend that works there. yup thats legit to teh limit.

i also really liked the scenes with the burning oil wells in the background. gave a really cool atmosphere to the shots.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by [W5]IntoTheWRX
i also really liked the scenes with the burning oil wells in the background. gave a really cool atmosphere to the shots.
Yeah it did. I recommend it because the movie is well done overall.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by zumnwrx
um... blackhawk down? saving private ryan????

this is a fake movie how could it possible be "one of the beter war movies"?
Saving Private Ryan is and probably always will be my favorite war movie. You just an't mess with Speilberg.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
I haven't even seen it and can tell you it's completely full of **** regarding tactics, realism, and will not give reasonable insight on how the military works. Besides, any movie with Kane West on the soundtrack gets precisely $0 from me.
I know the trainging tactics were a little exaggerated, but I'm curious more along the lines of the psychological affects while out in the desert.

Also, luckily Kanye didn't play until the credits. Since you guys would be paying $9+ bucks to see the movie, wait till it comes out on video. It's only $5.25 here, (dollar more than blockbuster) so we wanted the theatre experience.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:10 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
I saw it and liked it. I think the people who were disapointed with it are those who were expecting a action movie, which it is not. It deals more with the horrors of war, and if you take it for what it is made to be it turns out to be a great movie.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:42 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
I read the movie is all about foreplay but no climax. No soft-core war movies for me, thanks!
Old 11-11-2005, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
I read the movie is all about foreplay but no climax. No soft-core war movies for me, thanks!
The climax at the end was cut out when the projector stopped for a second then came back on and we missed the main point. Then there was no manager outside for us to complain to. So we're going to download it.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Imprezastifan88
I saw it and liked it. I think the people who were disapointed with it are those who were expecting a action movie, which it is not. It deals more with the horrors of war, and if you take it for what it is made to be it turns out to be a great movie.
exactly.