Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Iraq War: A Long 3 Years

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 07:27 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Iraq War: A Long 3 Years

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11865279/

Great video clips from March 2003.

Are the staunch conservatives going to finally own up and admit that we f***ed up big time in invading a sovereign nation pre-emptively?

We have fed anti-American sentiment in Muslim countries because of our belligerence and ignorance. Imagine if we had resolved this conflict peacefully through international policy?

Could we have possibly moved the world towards peace rather than war? Would peace steer fringe Muslims away from radical anti-Western propaganda?

I think that it is time for a mea culpa and bring in rational, unbiased opinions to help quell the violence that we have helped propogate.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:42 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
[QUOTE=dub2w]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11865279/

Great video clips from March 2003.

Originally Posted by dub2w
Are the staunch conservatives going to finally own up and admit that we f***ed up big time in invading a sovereign nation pre-emptively?
You're right, we ****ed up.
We listened to the UN back in 1990/1991 and merely pushed Iraq out of Kuwait, instead of getting rid of the Gov't of Iraq.

Imagine if we had simply pushed Germany out France, Belgium, Austria, etc back in 1944-1945.
Do you think Hitler would've said, "Geez, I'm sorry. I won't do that again."

We have fed anti-American sentiment in Muslim countries because of our belligerence and ignorance. Imagine if we had resolved this conflict peacefully through international policy? .
Those that hate us now, hated us thirty years ago.

What was the UN doing just prior to the US invasion?
Particularly France, Russia, and Germany?

If the UN had just finished the job back in 1991....

Could we have possibly moved the world towards peace rather than war? Would peace steer fringe Muslims away from radical anti-Western propaganda?.
Terrorists and Dictators do not understand the concept of Peace.

I think that it is time for a mea culpa and bring in rational, unbiased opinions to help quell the violence that we have helped propogate.
You are doing a great job at telling the World that America sucks.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Imagine if we had simply pushed Germany out France, Belgium, Austria, etc back in 1944-1945.
Do you think Hitler would've said, "Geez, I'm sorry. I won't do that again."
Saddam is no Hitler. Your credibility is already halved from that disillusioned reference.

Terrorists and Dictators do not understand the concept of Peace.
We are not purveyors of peace. I recommend that you acquaint yourself with US international policy since the 19th century. Our policy has never been focused on removing dictators from power, and one could argue that we have actually facilitated more dictators coming into power than in removing them.

You are doing a great job at telling the World that America sucks.
Correction: WE are doing a great job that America sucks. And that is what pisses me and other free-thinking Americans off. Questioning our govt and holding my govt accountable to US is more than our right, it is our duty as a citizens of this great country. Those that absorb the lies are derelict in their duty.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:19 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Correction: WE are doing a great job that America sucks. And that is what pisses me and other free-thinking Americans off. Questioning our govt and holding my govt accountable to US is more than our right, it is our duty as a citizens of this great country. Those that absorb the lies are derelict in their duty.

Please, get off your high-horse. The fact that you preach this seemingly "America sucks" agenda is rather amusing simply based upon the fact that you think you're so damned enlightened. Your reference to "free-thinking" Americans is rather ignorant by your definition of the word. According to you the only "free-thinkers" in America are on the left bashing everything related to the Stars and Bars. Could it be that people that support the war thought long and hard about it and for whatever reason sypmathize with it's cause?

I can respect your opinion, I do respect it. In many respects I agree with it. But the fact that you talk to everyone but those that share your political views like uneducated followers really cuts your credibility short. Dedication to the war effort has nothing to do with political stance. I believe Paul was in the military and so am I. We'd like to see something worthwhile come for those that sacrificed so much rather than backing out and calling it a day.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
Could it be that people that support the war thought long and hard about it and for whatever reason sypmathize with it's cause?

But the reasons for going to war have shifted since Day 1... and that is what is so frustrating! Other than "staying the course", do you specifically have a reason that necessitates a pre-emptive strike on a sovereign nation and the ensuing war?

Instead of questioning my patriotism and attacking me personally, try attacking my argument.

Last edited by dub2w; 03-20-2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:48 AM

Your reference to "free-thinking" Americans is rather ignorant by your definition of the word. According to you the only "free-thinkers" in America are on the left bashing everything related to the Stars and Bars.
Wrong inference. As I said, we need to hold our govt accountable to their actions. After waging a war with disastrous consequences, we should own up to our mistakes. This act would substantiate our credibility and foreign political capital (hate the term but it is fitting in this sense). But therein lies one of the underlying problems: we wade recklessly into these situations with a machismo bravado nothing short of John Wayne. And as the bumper sticker says:

"YEEEHAAAAW isnt a foreign policy"

p.s. Isnt "Stars and Bars" a strip joint??
Old 03-20-2006, 08:57 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
But the reasons for going to war have shifted since Day 1... and that is what is so frustrating! Other than "staying the course", do you specifically have a reason that necessitates a pre-emptive strike on a sovereign nation and the ensuing war?
Absolutely not, I'm not debating that. The fact of the matter is that that's in the past and we need to deal with the situation at hand. Hold the people who made mistakes or down-right lies accountable and get back to formulating a war plan that will facilitate mission success and get the soldiers home.

Instead of questioning my patriotism and attacking me personally, try attacking my argument.
I never personally attacked you and if you got that impression than I apoligize. I'm just questioning your stance. I agree with being critical and we def. need to hold some people accountable but we also have to look at the situation at hand. We're at war, you can't put that on hold and come back later. Oh wait, we seem to do that already and cost the next generation of young men their lives.

"YEEEHAAAAW isnt a foreign policy"
Take that up with Howard Dean. He'll be running in a few years I'm sure.

p.s. Isnt "Stars and Bars" a strip joint??
I have no idea but if it is I'd gladly display my patriotism.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:03 AM

Take that up with Howard Dean. He'll be running in a few years I'm sure.

hehe... nice one.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:05 AM

The fact of the matter is that that's in the past and we need to deal with the situation at hand. Hold the people who made mistakes or down-right lies accountable and get back to formulating a war plan that will facilitate mission success and get the soldiers home.
Im with you on that all the way. And it is the accountability aspect where we, as citizens, have resorted to infighting when we should instead demand it from our elected representatives.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:01 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Saddam is no Hitler. Your credibility is already halved from that disillusioned reference.
BS. We stopped Saddam from becoming Hitler.

If someone had stopped Hitler earlier then Hitler wouldn't have been a Hitler!

TAKE THAT CAPTAIN DOUBLE-SPEAK!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:32 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Wink

Hold the people who made mistakes or down-right lies accountable ...

So you're for impeachment?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
BS. We stopped Saddam from becoming Hitler.

If someone had stopped Hitler earlier then Hitler wouldn't have been a Hitler!

TAKE THAT CAPTAIN DOUBLE-SPEAK!

We stopped Saddam from becoming Hitler when we kicked him out of Kuwait. There is NO evidence that Iraq under Saddam had ANY intent of taking over ANY other country at all.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:22 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by MVWRX
We stopped Saddam from becoming Hitler when we kicked him out of Kuwait. There is NO evidence that Iraq under Saddam had ANY intent of taking over ANY other country at all.
There was no evidence that Hitler was going to become Hitler, either.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:30 AM

You're kidding right? Hitler told everyone he was going to take over the world before he invaded anywhere. He said he'd take over the world before he was even in charge of Germany...
Old 03-20-2006, 12:05 PM

Dumb: Two words... "Mein Kampf"

We've treaded on this ground before, but comparing Saddam to Hitler is doing a sever injustice to Holocaust survivors. It is also not historically accurate.

Quick Reply: Iraq War: A Long 3 Years