Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Ill Gov arrested

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Ill Gov arrested

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/blagojevich_corruption_probe

I hate shady politicians, too bad that nearly all of them are like this.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:13 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
What is his relationship to Obama?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:18 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
What a joke.... It makes me sick to think that there are probably a majority of politicians out there that do shaddy stuff like this.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
What is his relationship to Obama?
Nothing of importance really...

Since Obama leaves office, the Gov appoints a senator to replace him. Looks like the Gov was willing to give that to the highest bidder. Outright cash in this case (stupid) or favors (typical), either way, still wrong. But again, nearly ALL politicians are like this.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:51 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Nothing of importance really...

Since Obama leaves office, the Gov appoints a senator to replace him. Looks like the Gov was willing to give that to the highest bidder. Outright cash in this case (stupid) or favors (typical), either way, still wrong. But again, nearly ALL politicians are like this.
there is some conjecture if he was trying to get a bribe out of Obama to appoint who he wanted to fill his seat.

Originally Posted by abc.com news
llinois Governor Rod Blagojevich wanted President-elect Barack Obama "to put something together…something big" in exchange for going along with Obama's choice to fill his vacant U.S. Senate seat, according to a FBI affidavit unsealed following the governor's stunning arrest.
Illinois Governor Sought To
In this file photo, Ilinois Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich with U.S. Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) during a news... Expand
In this file photo, Ilinois Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich with U.S. Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) during a news conference following their apperance before the Base Realignment and Closure commission during their hearings at Saint Louis University, St. Louis. Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich wanted President-elect Barack Obama "to put something together…something big" in exchange for going along with Obama's choice to fill his vacant US Senate seat, according to an FBI affidavit unsealed following the Governor's stunning arrest. Collapse
(James A. Finley/AP Photo)

"I've got this thing and it's f***ing golden, and, uh, uh, I'm just not giving it up for f***in' nothing. I'm not gonna do it. And I can always use it. I can parachute me there," Blagojevich said in a phone call secretly recorded by the FBI on Nov. 5, the day after the election, according to the affidavit.

Click here to read the full affidavit.

"It is conduct that would make Lincoln roll over in his grave," said U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald in announcing the charges today in Chicago.

He said the governor's efforts to "sell" the Senate seat was the "most sinister and appalling" of a range of alleged corrupt acts detailed in today's case.

Fitzgerald said "there is no allegation in the complaint that the president-elect was aware of it and that is all I can say." His comment did not close the door on the possibility that Obama or someone on his staff may have known of some aspect of the governor's demands.
so there is possibility that "someone" on Obama's staff knew about this, but I have a hard time believing that this was not run by Obama at some point. I don't think an underling would just sit on this either it be to let Obama know of the opportunity, or to at least squeal on the Gov so Obama knows what he was up to.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
there is some conjecture if he was trying to get a bribe out of Obama to appoint who he wanted to fill his seat.

so there is possibility that "someone" on Obama's staff knew about this, but I have a hard time believing that this was not run by Obama at some point. I don't think an underling would just sit on this either it be to let Obama know of the opportunity, or to at least squeal on the Gov so Obama knows what he was up to.
It's all nothing without proof.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:25 AM
BanHammer™

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
It's all nothing without proof.
I am sure if there is any, the FBI will have it.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Yeah, I read a rumor somewhere that said Rahn Emanuel was the one that ratted him out after he tried to get Obama's money/coattails/whatever for the nomination pick.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...09081rod1.html

During a wiretapped November 10 call, a frustrated and financially strapped Blagojevich referred to Obama as a "mother****er" and said that he would not appoint an ally of the President-elect to the Senate vacancy if "I don't get anything." Referring to Obama, Blagojevich exclaimed, "**** him. For nothing? **** him."

Last edited by Nick Koan; 12-09-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Am I the only one that thinks this guy looks like Benny the Jet's half retarded son?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:39 PM
BanHammer™

Originally Posted by Nick Koan
Yeah, I read a rumor somewhere that said Rahn Emanuel was the one that ratted him out after he tried to get Obama's money/coattails/whatever for the nomination pick.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...09081rod1.html
its possible, but ABC is reporting this now.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...ons-arise.html

I am not going to repost everything cause its huge, but here are the interesting parts.

Originally Posted by abcnews.com
Asked what contact he'd had with the governor's office about his replacement in the Senate, President-elect Obama today said "I had no contact with the governor or his office and so we were not, I was not aware of what was happening."

But on November 23, 2008, his senior adviser David Axelrod appeared on Fox News Chicago and said something quite different.

While insisting that the President-elect had not expressed a favorite to replace him, and his inclination was to avoid being a "kingmaker," Axelrod said, "I know he's talked to the governor and there are a whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them."
here is the interview (youtube embedding is not working )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=konL35ur0Bo

after this came out, someone part of the transition team had a statement.

Originally Posted by abcnews.com
(UPDATE: An Obama Transition Team aide says that Axelrod misspoke on Fox News Chicago.)
misspoke

Last edited by Max Xevious; 12-09-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:47 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
I'm not a crook!

Why would the country's most criticized individual (Obama) want anything to do with the governor's plans?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:52 PM
BanHammer™

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
I'm not a crook!

Why would the country's most criticized individual (Obama) want anything to do with the governor's plans?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Steven Segal makes me lol.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:00 PM
BanHammer™

Originally Posted by ryball
Steven Segal makes me lol.
he has made some of the best comedies I have ever watched.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:12 AM
BanHammer™

fresh from ABC news

Sources Say Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. Is 'Senate Candidate No. 5'

Quick Reply: Ill Gov arrested