i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Teh Politics Forum (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/)
-   -   Gun owners.. must suck to live in SF right now... (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/gun-owners-must-suck-live-sf-right-now-117426/)

Chrisnonstop 11-10-2005 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=MVWRX]I know that taking guns away won't neccesarily take the guns out of the hands of criminals. But I realized one thing that it DOES allow. If someone is stopped or questioned because they are around a crime or may be a suspect or whatever, and a gun is found in their possesion or in their home, then there's another charge to bring on them and (if neccesary) a great excuse to arrest and detain them for further questioning.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think it matters. A gun arrest is just a misdemeanor. A rather petty crime. Unless it is a violation of parole. If the person is stopped and questioned and then searched, that means the Cops already have all the PC they need for the detention and most likely an arrest.

Now if he's just out for a stroll and carrying a gun for self defense in a bad neighborhood, the cops would only stop him/her if he was in the wrong place at the wrong time when another crime was commited by someone else. Just really bad luck for a guy that doesn't want to become a statistic.

FYI: If you're carrying a gun without a permit and you kill someone with it, it's still a justifiable homicide. Of course all the elements of crime the being committed against you have to be in place. The Judge at the time will decide if he/she wants to dismiss the charge for actually carrying the gun. It did save the victims life after all.

Guns are the best self defense tool (When you have the right training). Say you're a 95lb woman and you're walking home from the market at night in the city. You get approached by three guys and they tell you to just do what they say and you won't get hurt. When the .45 comes out of her purse, she makes it home alive.

Of course it's not a perfect world. There are people out there with the best intentions that have no business carrying guns. The problem is lack of training. It's just too easy to get a gun. One "oops" is all it takes to ruin your life and the lives of the family members, of the person you accidentally shot. This goes for a lot of things though, not just guns. I still feal that not everyone should be able to get a license to drive.

If you took all the soldiers that have been deployed to Iraq and Afganistan (Spelling?) and equalled that number with civilians driving cars. Then put the drivers in a place equall to the size of the area of operations that our soldiers are in, there would be more civilian deaths than soldier casualties. Thus, it's safer to go to war than it is to drive in the U.S.

ok,...sorry now I'm just ranting along....

MVWRX 11-10-2005 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=Chrisnonstop]A gun arrest is just a misdemeanor.[/QUOTE]

Even with the new law? That's hard for me to believe, but I can't find any info about it.

Salty 11-10-2005 05:45 PM

[QUOTE=MVWRX]I know that taking guns away won't neccesarily take the guns out of the hands of criminals. But I realized one thing that it DOES allow. If someone is stopped or questioned because they are around a crime or may be a suspect or whatever, and a gun is found in their possesion or in their home, then there's another charge to bring on them and (if neccesary) a great excuse to arrest and detain them for further questioning.[/QUOTE]

And you guys complain about the Patriot Act? Do you guys have a problem with the Patriot Act or the fact it was pushed by a Republican?

Magish 11-10-2005 05:48 PM

<---Dosn't care that people have guns, but dosn't understand why people feel they need them. My baseball bat under my bed works plenty fine thank you :)

ipozestu 11-10-2005 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=Imprezastifan88]<---Dosn't care that people have guns, but dosn't understand why people feel they need them. My baseball bat under my bed works plenty fine thank you :)[/QUOTE]
I'd bet I'd have you crying for mommy before you even stepped to the plate.:D

Magish 11-10-2005 07:20 PM

I'm sure you would! However, I don't really feel threatened by my middle-class suburbia surroundings. And to me personally, the idea of owning a gun is repulsive. I just couldn't imagine it. I've fired weapons before, gone hunting, but there is still something about it I don't like. I'll keep to cars to "prove my manlyness" (though teh lezbaru is not helping out much :p)

Chrisnonstop 11-10-2005 07:27 PM

Gun laws...

[QUOTE=MVWRX]Even with the new law? That's hard for me to believe, but I can't find any info about it.[/QUOTE]

I think it's under Ca. Penal code section 12031 Subparagraph "G".

not 100% about how the new S.F. law works...

jvick125 11-10-2005 09:23 PM

[QUOTE=Imprezastifan88]I'm sure you would! However, I don't really feel threatened by my middle-class suburbia surroundings. And to me personally, the idea of owning a gun is repulsive. I just couldn't imagine it. I've fired weapons before, gone hunting, but there is still something about it I don't like. I'll keep to cars to "prove my manlyness" (though teh lezbaru is not helping out much :p)[/QUOTE]
I take it then you don't hunt on a regular basis, or much at all anymore. I don't personally own a gun, seeing that I would have no where to store it. My father, however, has about 10-15. But he hunts regularly and we live on a farm, so it's more justifiable than if we lived in SF.

zumnwrx 11-10-2005 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=Imprezastifan88]<---Dosn't care that people have guns, but dosn't understand why people feel they need them. My baseball bat under my bed works plenty fine thank you :)[/QUOTE]

i dont feel i "need them" or have them to show off to everyone i meet but i do like going to the range and bucking off a couple of rounds.

i dont see guns as something to use for self defense or killing but as a tool to pass the time and have some fun.

keep in mind i grew up around guns, my father always stored guns thru out our house loaded and never once had to use them for self defense.

i personally dont have any of my guns ready to protect me when im home... guess thats why i sleep with my socks on and my cell phone next to me :D

slow04wrx 11-10-2005 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=HellaDumb]How about Ghost Recon II? I'll be on tonight ;)[/QUOTE]

maybe i'll see you on there.

zumnwrx 11-10-2005 10:18 PM

[QUOTE=HellaDumb]How about Ghost Recon II? I'll be on tonight ;)[/QUOTE]

screw those games... lets get some socom 3 going *****es!!! -ZUM- is the name

Magish 11-11-2005 06:13 AM

[QUOTE=jvick125]I take it then you don't hunt on a regular basis, or much at all anymore. I don't personally own a gun, seeing that I would have no where to store it. My father, however, has about 10-15. But he hunts regularly and we live on a farm, so it's more justifiable than if we lived in SF.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, my family has a large ranch up in the mountains plains of Colorado and some members of my family hunt. I've always just taken more after my mother being the wimpy "kill nothing" type. Hell though it is kinda odd, during the hurricane seeing the animals sitting on top of roofs and without owners wrenched my gut way harder than seeing the people.

jvick125 11-11-2005 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=Imprezastifan88]Yeah, my family has a large ranch up in the mountains plains of Colorado and some members of my family hunt. I've always just taken more after my mother being the wimpy "kill nothing" type. Hell though it is kinda odd, during the hurricane seeing the animals sitting on top of roofs and without owners wrenched my gut way harder than seeing the people.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I went through that stage. Watching the animal suffer was kind of hard. My brother is a vegetarian and stopped hunting and fishing with my dad. Then I found out that hunting was one of the few activities that gave me a chance for mail bonding with him. It's weird, I like duck and pheasant hunting, but not really dove hunting.

But yeah, seeing the dogs trapped on the roof tops was a lot harder than the people.

1reguL8NSTi 11-11-2005 08:23 AM

I am so anxious to go home and go hunting. My dad just got 100+ acres in the mountains in Maryland so I'll spend a lot of my time there. He was a huge hunter when he was a kid, I was told he spent all winter in the woods. When I was little he'd take me but would never shot anything. He taught me how to shoot, how to clean what I got, how to track, etc.. but never did himself. I thought that was wierd as a kid but turns out Vietnam turned him. He just likes being out there in the morning and I can understand that. It's more about the atmosphere than anything else.

jvick125 11-11-2005 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=1reguL8NSTi]I am so anxious to go home and go hunting. My dad just got 100+ acres in the mountains in Maryland so I'll spend a lot of my time there. He was a huge hunter when he was a kid, I was told he spent all winter in the woods. When I was little he'd take me but would never shot anything. He taught me how to shoot, how to clean what I got, how to track, etc.. but never did himself. I thought that was wierd as a kid but turns out Vietnam turned him. He just likes being out there in the morning and I can understand that. It's more about the atmosphere than anything else.[/QUOTE]
The nature part is a huge part of it for my dad as well. I've never learned to clean a deer or anything like that. I really want to learn though. I hope to go deer hunting with him after I graduate from school. I have been scouting with him though.

What are you going to go hunting for?