Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

GREAT!!! war hollywood jamie foxx and kanye west

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 02:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
GREAT!!! war hollywood jamie foxx and kanye west

the new movie jarhead will be in theaters nov. 4th and i have a feeling it going to be a anti-war movie..

Jarhead (the self-imposed moniker of the Marines) follows "Swoff" (Gyllenhaal), a third-generation enlistee, from a sobering stint in boot camp to active duty, sporting a sniper's rifle and a hundred-pound ruck on his back through Middle East deserts with no cover from intolerable heat or from Iraqi soldiers, always potentially just over the next horizon. Swoff and his fellow Marines sustain themselves with sardonic humanity and wicked comedy on blazing desert fields in a country they don't understand against an enemy they can't see for a cause they don't fully fathom... Foxx portrays Sergeant Sykes, a Marine lifer who heads up Swofford's scout/sniper platoon, while Sarsgaard is Swoff's friend and mentor, Troy, a die-hard member of STA-their elite Marine Unit.
but i could be wrong
edgar,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418763/

Last edited by zumnwrx; 10-09-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
the book was garbage so why wouldn't the movie be the same?
Old 10-09-2005, 09:52 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Can anyone confirm if this is anti-Bush/Republican party... America bad type movie? Or will it be worth watching?

Most war movies carry the message that war is hell. However, I like the ones that don't have a political message behind them. Dirty Dozen, Platoon, A bridge too far, We were soldiers, Shaving Ryans Privates...ect. They delt with the personal struggle. They showed how even in the worsrt situation there is hope...

Then there are the politcally motivated flicks that try to cram one parties agenda down your throat for two or more hours. Thanks, don't need the brain washing propaganda.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:41 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
Can anyone confirm if this is anti-Bush/Republican party... America bad type movie? Or will it be worth watching?

Most war movies carry the message that war is hell. However, I like the ones that don't have a political message behind them. Dirty Dozen, Platoon, A bridge too far, We were soldiers, Shaving Ryans Privates...ect. They delt with the personal struggle. They showed how even in the worsrt situation there is hope...

Then there are the politcally motivated flicks that try to cram one parties agenda down your throat for two or more hours. Thanks, don't need the brain washing propaganda.

I agree, I wish war movies would be more concerned with human struggle, comraderie and sacrifice (like the ones you mentioned). Anything that goes beyond that isn't worth watching in that respect. I'll just go watch a Micheal Moore film and call it a day.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:12 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
I'm curious...what did you guys think of Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket? ...just because those are my two favortie war themed movies...
Old 10-10-2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by MVWRX
I'm curious...what did you guys think of Apocalypse Now?
I think it was a good movie. It didn't try and change anyones mind. It was an accurate portrayal of a that type of unit in that type of war. They laked homefront support and that of their peers and to be in a unit like that required a great deal of devotion and in a way, a death wish. If you were in a unit like that you were exposed to the worst types of war, that in which you kill an enemy in cold blood and not because you must. That is the defining line in a soldiers mind set. To kill or be killed and then to kill to kill.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:44 AM

Car Info: 02 BRP 2.5RS-T
Best part of full Metal Jacket is the boot camp half. Lee Ermey is da man! As a fan of the majority of Kubrick's work, I'm a little biased though. Dr. Strangelove rules!!

I thought a pile of crap now, err Apocolypse Now....only redeeming feature was the perfomances of Hopper and Duvall. Other than that read the book...it has nothing to do wih Vietnam but it's still better than the movie.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by svxr8dr
Best part of full Metal Jacket is the boot camp half. Lee Ermey is da man! As a fan of the majority of Kubrick's work, I'm a little biased though. Dr. Strangelove rules!!

I thought a pile of crap now, err Apocolypse Now....only redeeming feature was the perfomances of Hopper and Duvall. Other than that read the book...it has nothing to do wih Vietnam but it's still better than the movie.
Has nothing to do with Vietnam??? OK, to each his own.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:47 PM

The book (Heart of Darkness) was written before the Vietnam war...so the book has NOTHING to do with Vietnam. It's set in Africa and has more to do with human nature than anything else. I do agree that the book was way better, but I did think the movie was badass.

I left out Dr. Strangelove though...definatly in there with AN and FMJ.

"THERE'S NO FIGHTING IN THE WAR ROOM!!!"

Last edited by MVWRX; 10-10-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:49 PM

The book (Heart of Darkness) was written before the Vietnam war...so the book has NOTHING to do with Vietnam. I do agree that the book was way better, but I did think the movie was badass.

I did leave out Dr. Strangelove though...definatly in there with AN and FMJ.

"THERE'S NO FIGHTING IN THE WAR ROOM!!!"
Heart of Darkness is one of my favorite books. Thank you 12th grade AP english.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:51 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
Heart of Darkness is one of my favorite books. Thank you 12th grade AP english.

Seriously, that's where I read it too.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:53 PM

Seriously, that's where I read it too.
Let me guess, 1984, Cantebury Tales, a bunch of poems (Dulce et decorum est) and a few others I can't name right off hand.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:57 PM

Close...but my teacher went on a semester long course about existentialsim, so I missed some of those and got The Rhinocerous, The Stranger, other Cammus and Sartre, Sophie's World, etc...

It was a great class though, I passed out of all my english reqs when I got to UCLA.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:02 PM

Close...but my teacher went on a semester long course about existentialsim, so I missed some of those and got The Rhinocerous, The Stranger, other Cammus and Sartre, Sophie's World, etc...

It was a great class though, I passed out of all my english reqs when I got to UCLA.

Oh yeah, I took all sorts of those AP exams, paid for them, bought the stupid study books and spent countless hours trying to save myself some time. Unfortunately military academies don't accept any of them. You take the full load regardless.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
what cracks me up about you people is that you have to allready apply your retarded little "filters' (read BIAS) to something before you go and watch it.

Who cares if it is left or right leaning, are you that frail of constitution that you need to only see things that support your warped views of the world? Are you not able to comfratably analyze another view point? One that may be contradicting to your own? Are you not capable of that?

I mean seriously, you want to know what the **** is wrong with american society?

Its the idiots becoming empowered in media, and the smart people figuring this out and making billions on it.

Quick Reply: GREAT!!! war hollywood jamie foxx and kanye west