Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

gpatmac's first few moments of combat - circa 1989

Old 03-04-2006, 09:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
gpatmac's first few moments of combat - circa 1989

http://files.gpatmac.com/Coco_Solo_C417.mp3
right click/save as - [I probably won't be hosting this for too long]

This isn't me (neither recording nor speaking) but it's some dudes who were in my Scout and Medical Platoons back (I was in the Mortar Platoon. We were about 500-600 meters north of where this was recorded.) I've had this recording on a cassette tape for about 16 years, but had forgotten about it until a friend of mine started a blog for others who were in my battalion to communicate with each other.

A little bit of background. These Scouts were attached to Charlie Company, commanded by then Captain Chris Rizzo. They were conducting a company sized deliberate attack against a PDF barracks, located at Coco Solo. (see pic) CPT Rizzo's plan was to utilize 3 ground mounted Vulcans in his support by fire. 'Thinking outside the box' is an understatement regarding his utilization of these guns in this capacity. As a matter of fact, I'd gotten out of the Army and 10 years later when I was going through the Infantry Company Commanders' Course, they are still teaching about how no one before (and to the best of my knowledge, since) have used the Vulcan in their SBF position. Ha ha ha.

Anyhow, the loud farting sound you hear in the clip is the vulcan. You can also hear small explosions that are the AT-4 anti-tank weapon being shot. This is only notable because none of us had ever seen nor trained on the AT-4 before, but were issued them in the hours prior to the invasion (in addition to pretty much anything else and as much of it as we could carry.)

It seems like another lifetime ago. I do have some very clear memories but even those are fading. Really, the only thing I remember is how scared I was. You know, I was shaking scared but honestly I think my greatest fear was for my friends in my platoon. I was absolutely certain what I'd do so that my buddies wouldn't get hurt. Thankfully none of them did and thankfully I didn't have to measure the extent of my certainty.

That's pretty much about it. My battalion only lost one guy that night. I didn't know him, but it did put a huge pall over everyone when we found out. However, since then I believe nearly all of my buddies had gotten out of the Army, but a handful have once again answered the call of duty and have come back in to serve in Iraq. Because of that blog, I just learned that my friend Willie Fernandez was killed over there.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Thanks for sharing that, Pat.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:37 AM
VIP Member

It's odd how something you've completely forgotten about for like 15 years can so suddenly choke you up.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:43 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
is the vulcan that chaingunnish gun that is mounted on the A-10 Warthog?
Old 03-05-2006, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

Without looking it up, I'm not absolutely certain. I'd definitely say they're related, ie. maybe same manufacturer or same gun but modified.

I know that a Warthog doing a gunrun over your head sounds the exact same as an AC130 (which I know has a Vulcan) shooting from overhead.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:32 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by spedmunki
is the vulcan that chaingunnish gun
Yes
Old 03-05-2006, 02:49 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gpatmac

CPT Rizzo's plan was to utilize 3 ground mounted Vulcans in his support by fire. 'Thinking outside the box' is an understatement regarding his utilization of these guns in this capacity.
At first the firing is sporadic because of the chaos. But then you can hear the sustained rate of fire at the various positions (some sound closer than others). You guys must of had a lot of ammo for those vulcans because you're at a 4-6 second rate of fire per position, each burst probably sending 200+ bullets downrange. Indeed, an awesome support by fire.

Where did you guys find the vulcans?
Old 03-05-2006, 04:16 PM
VIP Member

You've got me.

Like I said, it's still taught within the hallowed halls of bldg 4 on Ft Benning main post. I have exchanged emails with LTC Rizzo a few times. Maybe I could shoot him a note asking him the story behind it.

Hey, here's another Vulcan story from that same attack. About 3 days following that attack, my platoon was tasked to help out around the hospital we were at. My squad was tasked to help the hospital personnel offload all of the bodies off of the back of the 2.5t's that would periodically drop them off. I mean, they were stacked. Probably 10-15 kia's at a time. I remember how the floors of the trucks were just slippery with blood and one time I fell and I put my hand down to catch myself. I think I put my hand on someone's thigh or something. I was mortified. Especially at how it felt like jello or something.

Anyhow, they brought just one body one day. They needed to switch him from the body bag he was in because it was absolutely ruined. I've never smelled a smell like that, before or since.

Turns out, when the initial Cco attack at Coco Solo was beginning, you know that the shock value from using those Vulcan's was worthwhile by itself. This guy tried to escape out back to a boat that was moored on the canal. The Spectre which was flying overhead saw him and as he was shoving off, he caught a round in the face. No one was able to get to him out in the canal for the next few days for whatever reason; he probably wasn't a very high priority.

When they brought him to us, his face was gone but his head was still intact. Unfortunately, since he'd been baking in the Panama sun and probably soaking in blood and seawater, the cavity in his head was just filled with maggots.

I didn't wretch but I did about lose my composure. Before we lifted him out of the body bag, the doc's gave us as many surgical masks as we wanted and some sort of very potent air freshener-type spray to spray in the masks. It didn't work a bit. Of course, now whenever something triggers that memory (fortunately, very infrequently) I not only recall the smell of that guy but it's mixed with that particular air freshener. I can vaguely remember it right now. I know I'd be able to identify it immediately if I were to smell it again.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:47 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Thanks for posting that sound clip.

It's funny how you mention how certain/particular smells can bring back a flood of memories.
For me it's fruit cocktail...very bad....and the smell of new extension cords, silicone hose....very good memories.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:02 PM
VIP Member

That big gallon can of fruit cocktail that came with mermite or traypack meals? The one with the plastic textured cherries? I know exactly what you're talking about.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:37 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by gpatmac
That big gallon can of fruit cocktail that came with mermite or traypack meals? The one with the plastic textured cherries? I know exactly what you're talking about.
Thanks, *******, for reminding me.

BTW

I got fire one of those ground mounted Vulcans.
When I worked in ammo section, I got to deliver a 5 ton load of 20mm cans to an ADA unit.
I hung around after unloading to watch some fun.
The target was a garbage dumpster, slightly lower than the firing position, and about 800m down range.

After all the crew members got to shoot, there were 5 or so cans of ammo left.
After a quick training session, the NCOIC/OIC...I can't remember...let me shoot up the left over ammo.

Very simple to control & fire. To traverse & elevate, you use the funky steering wheel control. IIRC, The Fun Switch (rounds per minute switch) had three settings; 1500rpm, 3000rpm, and 6000rpm.

I don't know if I hit the target, but the ammo lasted for just a few bursts.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:45 AM
VIP Member

The simple pleasures in life.