Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Google: Let everyone come to America

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:21 PM

Car Info: Sline
Google: Let everyone come to America

Google's official blog

Our experience with American immigration policy dates back to one of our founders: when he was six, Sergey Brin's parents fled the Soviet Union in 1979 and settled in the United States. Today, there are literally hundreds of examples of immigrants and non-immigrant foreign workers playing a vital role in our company.

In particular, employees who are holders of H-1B visas -- which allow foreign-born workers with specialized skills to work in the U.S. on a temporary basis -- have helped lead the development of Google News and orkut. Immigrants from countries like Canada, Iran, and Switzerland now lead our business operations, global marketing, global business development, and data infrastructure operations. Without these talented employees and many others, Google would not be where it is today.
Essentially they support the increase of of H-1B visas and believe that the cap should be removed/increased. They also go on to talk about how so many of their employees have benefited from them and being an immigrant.

If there are so many qualified people applying for these Visas to come work for their company, why not just open an office outside the U.S. so they could work there and you could help boost that economy by providing well-paying jobs to all the qualified citizens of that area? Why do they have to come here?

They say 133,000 people applied for Visas, cool, that's a lot. But only 70 of those were qualified for employment. So it's really not that artificially low, you're only asking for 70 of 65,000 available Visas; or .001%.

Last edited by jvick125; 06-11-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:41 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
I don't think you know what you're talking about. The people who recieve H1-Bs are EXACTLY the kind of people that we want to come to the US. Sure, some of them leave after the visa is up. Others apply for permanent status and contribute greatly to our country. Being against illegal immigration, I understand and support. Being against legal immigration is deplorable; being against the legal immigration of highly skilled, intelligent, productive people...that I can't even comprehend.

Here's the wikipedia about H1Bs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H1B_visa

You know, we could make it so American citizens would be able to do all the jobs of H1B visa foreingers...but it would take a lot more money and time invested in our educational system.

Last edited by MVWRX; 06-11-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
It makes me sick that they try to say it's in the best interest for America when they’re only concerned about themselves.

Sure, work visas are a legitimate form of work but to say that Google needs to bring more 'highly aualified' foreigners here is asinine. What could Google possibly need with outside help other than concepts that could be received over a teleconference? They couldn't possibly need better programers. Are America's programers so bad that they can't design simple Google pages and understand their algorithm? So far they haven't been inferior.

The bottom line is Google is trying to expand on the international level more than it already has. Why else would they steer clear of Memorial and Veterans' Day logos year after year with ridiculous excuses? It's because American patriotism is unpopular with global business and the international audience. It's such crap that they turned their need for a handful more foreigners into what America needs. They don't give a damn about this country other than it's been their platform to help make them billions.

Last edited by Salty; 06-11-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:32 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by Salty
It makes me sick that they try to say it's in the best interest for America when they’re only concerned about themselves.
Wait a second...are you serious? That's the argument conservatives make all the time for lifting restrictions on big business...
Old 06-12-2007, 12:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Why wouldn't I be serious? Is there some mold I need to fit into here?

Big businesses are all the same, even the real liberal-run ones like Google. Funny what money makes us do...

Last edited by Salty; 06-12-2007 at 12:44 AM.