Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Good thing we brought freedom to Afghanistan!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 07:10 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Good thing we brought freedom to Afghanistan!

http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_3620352

Oops, meet the new boss, same as the old boss.....
Old 03-21-2006, 10:56 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
I am surprised that our foreign policy experts and implementers are still ignorant to the idea that imposing democracy is the greatest of paradoxes.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:32 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
ya...cause if you don't hold free elections we will bomb the **** out of you!!
Old 03-21-2006, 12:35 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by dub2w
I am surprised that our foreign policy experts and implementers are still ignorant to the idea that imposing democracy is the greatest of paradoxes.
Makes the old dictator puppets we used to setup seem a lot more logical now doesn't it?
Old 03-21-2006, 02:54 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Makes the old dictator puppets we used to setup seem a lot more logical now doesn't it?

...or maybe it makes it obvious we shouldn't be f***ing with other people's way of life...

Last edited by MVWRX; 03-21-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by MVWRX
...or maybe it makes it obvious we shouldn't be f***ing with other people's way of life...
You mean the Afghan government in this case or pre 9/11 Taliban? But yeah, I wish we could sit and do nothing. No Iraq, no Afghanistan, No aid and peacekeeping missions to other parts of the world, nothing...
Old 03-21-2006, 04:04 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by MVWRX
Sorry, I forgot my sarcasm vB tags.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:17 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
?

What's this got to do with us going over there and pounding the sh*t out of those that attacked us? Who cares what the law is over there. Some guy wants to risk his life switching up on who he prays to, so be it. Why should we care? The U.S. is over there to kill, and send a message to our enemy.

"You attack us...we come to your country and wipe you out."

Unless the president at the time is busy getting some intern booty....
Old 03-21-2006, 06:59 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Salty brings up a good point.

The US simply doesn't do **** to help the rest of the world.
I mean, carry on business-wise, but when **** like Somalia, The Balkans, etc goes down, just let the UN figure it out.

Why should US boys & girls be dying when French, Belgian, Russian, or German kids would fit the bill just as well?
Old 03-21-2006, 07:38 PM
VIP Member

One thing we find abhorrent remains in the government. Therefore it's still run by the Taliban?

This is the green party kool aid drinkers coming out. There's no reason why a democracy/developing democracy can't have problems or be ultra conservative

We'd be ****ing with their way of life if we demanded that they allow any religion to preach, have no standards for insulting their religion, etc., etc. If anything this is proof that they're making Afghanistan how they want it, and that the US isn't forcing them to be its *****.

Because they are acting ultra conservative is never our ideal outcome in a perfect world as far as America is concerned. Whatever...

My point is just because Singapore executes people for things we'd grant parole for does not mean its a failed society.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:00 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Overthrowing governments and providing huminatarian aid are entirely different matters.

Bringing up the two subjects in the same breath is not "bringing up a good point." Instead, it is an attempt to nvalidate the claim that war is bad with the illogical reasoning that war and huminitarian aid are synonymous.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:13 PM
VIP Member

That wasn't my point on the humanitarian aid. I think helping others in need is a good thing. My point is that the common denominator of humanitarian aide that gets pissed away and the overthrowing of governments is money. The main argument always boils down to our huge deficit has become blah blah blah... What’s the difference in trying to help a failing government/country or starving people that continuously revert back? Not that I think this government is reverting back *see post 10*

But anyways, I still behind what I said in post 10.

Last edited by Salty; 03-21-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:24 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by dub2w
Overthrowing governments and providing huminatarian aid are entirely different matters.

Bringing up the two subjects in the same breath is not "bringing up a good point." Instead, it is an attempt to nvalidate the claim that war is bad with the illogical reasoning that war and huminitarian aid are synonymous.
So, you're cool with killing grunts to distribute food but not for removing dictators?
Old 03-21-2006, 09:30 PM
VIP Member

And wtf are you guys complaining about? Afghanistan's only real military force was Al qaeda! How is that not grounds for revamping the government?
Old 03-21-2006, 10:29 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Noone mentions Afganistan at all until some people went on the defense...I agree that we needed to respond to the attacks on 9/11 in Afganistan. But Iraq...

Quick Reply: Good thing we brought freedom to Afghanistan!