Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Fed Gvt: Is that the best you can do!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 05:02 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Hey, if the levee that failed had been recently upgraded, then obviously the specific engineers of that project are to blame....I just question the facts of the people whom you sighted since they are not engineers...I would tend to agree with the Army Corps of Engineers who said they wanted to do more but couldn't because of funding for NOLA levee building from the DOD (in charge of, as I understand both the Army Corps of Engineers who have claimed they desired to make the NO levees much better and the person who decided to transfer funds from the aforementioned project to the war in Iraq...)*

Unfortunatly enough people have speculated and BSed about this topic in the 'news' that all the 'reports' in the world can't really help...the only way to really find out what happened would be to talk to a higher-up that was involved in both the 'researve mission' of upgrading the levees and the decision to launch a full war in Iraq.

*previous threads and links...

Last edited by MVWRX; 09-03-2005 at 05:34 AM.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
It is insane to think that everyone wants to run to fed in this case. "oh you need to rebuild our levee, oh we need more funding," C'mon who the hell do you think funds the addition earthquake protection that was ordered anfter the '89 quake??? We do, the businesses of CA do, there is obviously a problem with **** poor managment of the state and local gov's down there. Once and when they realize the F'd up who's the first one to be blamed? The Fed's. The local gov isn't taking any flack for this at all. I say again, you have a city of over a million people, that lies below sea level, in an area that has had 33 hurricanes in the last 9 years, and you fail to develop a worst case senario plan????
Old 09-03-2005, 11:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by ipozestu
It is insane to think that everyone wants to run to fed in this case. "oh you need to rebuild our levee, oh we need more funding," C'mon who the hell do you think funds the addition earthquake protection that was ordered anfter the '89 quake??? We do, the businesses of CA do, there is obviously a problem with **** poor managment of the state and local gov's down there. Once and when they realize the F'd up who's the first one to be blamed? The Fed's. The local gov isn't taking any flack for this at all. I say again, you have a city of over a million people, that lies below sea level, in an area that has had 33 hurricanes in the last 9 years, and you fail to develop a worst case senario plan????

I couldn't agree more. It's funny you mention the 1989 quake. Way back when many parts of SF were below sea level as well. Guess who paid for them to be filled in? The citizens and it wasn't cheap in comparison to modern times. Now you guys are adding on to the bay bridge and are thinking about adding longer runways to your airport. It really is a stupid argument and a scapegoat for when times are rough.

You get ignorant people like Kanye West saying “Bush doesn’t like black people.” Whatever man… the federal government is trying to juggle a logistical nightmare because your local officials have been screwing you over since 1965.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by Salty

You get ignorant people like Kanye West saying “Bush doesn’t like black people.” Whatever man… the federal government is trying to juggle a logistical nightmare because your local officials have been screwing you over since 1965.
We have the Jesse Jacksons and Al Shaptons in the world thank for that. To think these morons would be so self centered to think that anyone gives a damn about thier race at a time like this. Rediculous
Old 09-03-2005, 12:10 PM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by ipozestu
We have the Jesse Jacksons and Al Shaptons in the world thank for that. To think these morons would be so self centered to think that anyone gives a damn about thier race at a time like this. Rediculous
But they're black, we're supposed to care abouyt them 24/7/365. They're numero uno. No matter the situation. Do you know what their ppl went through for over 300 YEARS!? F***ing bulls**t. But that's a whole other topic.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:23 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
I've been hearing about this story. And if it's true then dub2w is correct. You do realize it was written by Sidney Blumenthal, right? I'm not denying the story. I’m just asking for a better source is all... AP or Reuters would be preferable for a story like this.
Yeah, I know blumenbthall wrote it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...l=chi-news-hed

Verification from the Chicago Tribune.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:25 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Sean penn is down there with a boat. He has rescued and given money to several families who have been trapped since monday.

:hero:
Old 09-05-2005, 04:49 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by lojasmo
Sean penn is down there with a boat. He has rescued and given money to several families who have been trapped since monday.

:hero:
Twas a good deed. the hole in the boat was funny.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:58 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by lojasmo
Yeah, I know blumenbthall wrote it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...l=chi-news-hed

Verification from the Chicago Tribune.
Cool. Thanks.

I could care less now given the information from this thread: https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/why-didnt-they-implement-another-hotel-tax-110748/ And the fact their local officials didn't utilize their resources or develop a plan in the last 40yrs. There's no excuse for that. Why do people insist on micro-managing the issue to the very top instead of focusing on the local and state govt level? I'm referring to the reasoning behind the levee break, not the logistical gaggle-**** the feds failed at.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:03 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Alright guys I'm here right now and I'm going to give you the scope straight up. As far as the gov't assistance goes, yes it was lacking. In my opinion it was amplified by two serious reasons. One, the governor won't federalize the guard because she doesn't want to "lose control". She gives them ZERO guidance to begin with and has tied their hands (why I'm here). Secondly, Katrina has destroyed just about every bridge into the city which makes getting troops and supplies in a logistical nightmare. It's a bunch of back road that have been flooded out and are totally overwhelmed. As far as the troop situation goes. We've got more than enough but the majority are lead by commanders who are too worried about their careers to give them the go ahead to deal sternly with looters. As far as the looter/gangs with guns situation goes......it's 10x worse than what the media portrays. I don't know exactly what you guys are seeing but we have taken fire serveral times. I really can't explain why the majority of the refugees are black. Not really my concern I just want all of them regardless of color out of the city so we can deal with the looters without worrying about civilian contact.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Glad to get intel from someone there. You have cleared-up a lot of the grey areas in my mind.

Are you going to get a CIB for this? Stay safe.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:20 PM

Glad to get intel from someone there. You have cleared-up a lot of the grey areas in my mind.

Are you going to get a CIB for this? Stay safe.
I think I should. I'm taking fire from AKs and SKSs, I'm in full battle rattle with a loaded M-4 and full body armor. Make no mistake though guys, the gov't is dealing with the issue as best they can given what they've got to work with. Was there a lack of initial motivation to respond? I'd say yes, but in a way I don't think anyone knew how to respond. This is something we've never experienced before. America will pull through as it always does. We need to stop the political criticism because it's spilled milk now and deal with what we've got. Now if you'll excuse me I've a patrol to recon before I leave at 2100.

Rangers lead the way.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:48 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
holy shnikey... great insight into what is going on down there.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:18 AM

Ohhh man. Just finished my patrol. Disease is about to start getting crazy. We're going to have guys suffering from post traumatic stress over this. I've seen things I will never forget, you can't begin to imagine. Last night a guy on an overpass fired at us and as soon as we looked at him the rest of the people sitting on the bridge rushed him and threw him off the bridge. That's not even the craziest thing.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
A few Auburn Hills Police officers that I know went down there friday night to assist New Orleans PD (or what's left of NOPD) They have been involved in 3-4 shootouts since Saturday, and are constantly taking fire.

Apparently alot of the NOPD quit in the wake of the Hurricane and a bunch have been arrested by what's left of the PD for looting and such. NOPD is running at like 30% capacity from what I understand.

Doesn't look good.

1Regul8NSTi, did they give you vaccinations for disease and such?

Quick Reply: Fed Gvt: Is that the best you can do!?!?