Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

DOD spies on peace groups (R/T wiretapping thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:20 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
DOD spies on peace groups (R/T wiretapping thread)

An example of blatant misuse of power draped in the shroud of "national security"

After I posted it, I saw the cut and paste in the other thread, but I still think this deserves it's own thread.

WASHINGTON - A year ago, at a Quaker Meeting House in Lake Worth, Fla., a small group of activists met to plan a protest of military recruiting at local high schools. What they didn't know was that their meeting had come to the attention of the U.S. military.

A secret 400-page Defense Department document obtained by NBC News lists the Lake Worth meeting as a “threat” and one of more than 1,500 “suspicious incidents” across the country over a recent 10-month period.....The DOD has strict guidelines (.PDF link), adopted in December 1982, that limit the extent to which they can collect and retain information on U.S. citizens.

Still, the DOD database includes at least 20 references to U.S. citizens or U.S. persons. Other documents obtained by NBC News show that the Defense Department is clearly increasing its domestic monitoring activities........Bert Tussing, director of Homeland Defense and Security Issues at the U.S. Army War College and a former Marine, says “there is very little that could justify the collection of domestic intelligence by the Unites States military. If we start going down this slippery slope it would be too easy to go back to a place we never want to see again,” he says.

From MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10454316/

Last edited by lojasmo; 12-19-2005 at 08:34 PM.