Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Dixie Chicks

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 07:27 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Dixie Chicks

Saw this on Yahoo news:

"Maines continued, "The entire country may disagree with me, but I don't understand the necessity for patriotism. Why do you have to be a patriot? About what? This land is our land? Why? You can like where you live and like your life, but as for loving the whole country... I don't see why people care about patriotism.""

Chicks like this bug me...they give cool chicks all over the world a bad name. I take pride in not having ever listened to a single one of their songs. If I have, I take pride in not knowing it was them. May God strike me down with lightning if I've ever accidentally listened to one of their songs all the way through. I'll never forgive them. For all I care they can be involved in a freak head on auto accident with Jane Fonda while traveling at full speed the wrong way on the Autobahn.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:01 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Very American of you.

Originally Posted by chrisnonstop
I totally disagree with everything they are saying, constitutionally protected though it may be, and think they have no value as human beings because their political beliefs differ from my own.
Fixed.

Argue with their views, complain about their music, that's all good. Just expressing your own opinions. But to act like someone's own views make them worthless is ignorance of the highest kind. Intolerance like that is the root of all social problems at this point in time IMO. Every single conflict (at least the ones that aren't based on 'you have sutff,money that I want and can only get by taking it from you') stem from the inability to accept differences in other people.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:02 AM

P.S.- the album is outstanding. Anyody with right-leaning politics may not want to listen to the lyrics of a few songs, but the arrangement and production is astoundingly good.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Very American of you.

Fixed.

Argue with their views, complain about their music, that's all good. Just expressing your own opinions. But to act like someone's own views make them worthless is ignorance of the highest kind. Intolerance like that is the root of all social problems at this point in time IMO. Every single conflict (at least the ones that aren't based on 'you have sutff,money that I want and can only get by taking it from you') stem from the inability to accept differences in other people.
Well put. While I don't agree with her current statement on Patriotism that won't stop me from listening to their music if I want to. Just like it wouldn't stop me from seeing a movie with say, Susan Sarrandon in it or some other celeb that only has a voice because they are a celeb. What they think is inconsequential to me as long as they entertain me to a certain degree.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
I was in the same boat, thinking they were idiots and needed to shut up. Then I heard them on Howard Stern. They definetly changed my mind about them. The only complaint I have about them is they do most of their Bush bashing outside the US and that kind of bugs me.

+1 for their album being good.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:29 AM

That's exactly what I mean guys. I don't agree with much of what they say. Most is either wrong in my view (logically, not morally) or just taking right ideas too far. My opinion is that celebrities are entitled to their opinions just like me, but I don't care what it is. I bought this album for the same reason I bought their others- because they're very talented. However, I can totally understand somebody saying "I won't buy the album because of what they think, no matter how good it is or isn't." It's the idea that someone's political views can be a basis for absolutely shunning them to the point of indifference over their physical well being.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:45 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Very American of you.
Yes, it is. He'd likely have requested they be slaughtered like animals if he were from another country. Bam... like smelling salts to your brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:01 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
The funny thing about the whole issue is how most country music fans are hating on the dixie chicks because they don't like Bush...the fact that this is in the news says a lot more about country music fans and their ignorance/blind hatred for anyone who isn't in love with Bush than it does about the band. I can't stand country though, no matter who is making it.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by MVWRX
The funny thing about the whole issue is how most country music fans are hating on the dixie chicks because they don't like Bush...the fact that this is in the news says a lot more about country music fans and their ignorance/blind hatred for anyone who isn't in love with Bush than it does about the band. I can't stand country though, no matter who is making it.
Man, you almost made a reasonable statement about tolerance and open mindedness and what that *actually* means, but you totally blew it at the end.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:54 PM

Hahaha...I'm not tolerant because I can't stand country? Oh man...
Old 06-20-2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by MVWRX
Hahaha...I'm not tolerant because I can't stand country? Oh man...
No, you're intolerant because you made an absolut statement that all of country music sucks completely. Absolute statements about subjective issues are guaranteed to be incorrect. I'm calling you intolerant (in this case) because of your intolerance, not your opinions. Music taste is a highly subjective personal matter, and it cannot be defined by conventional music genres- at least not by anyone with a brain and ability to think for themselves without worrying about what other people think of their views. Your post was no less ignorant than saying "all liberals are idiot sheep with no ability to form logical opinions" or "all muslims are terrorist scum who should be treated as enemies of our nation."
Old 06-20-2006, 02:06 PM

Wink

I didn't say it sucked...I said I can't stand it. Just like I can't stand the sound of a smoke detector or the sound a cat makes when it's tail gets run over...

I'm sorry if you are offended by my personal opinion about the type of music collectively refered to as 'country'. I suggest you ease up and realize that my opinion makes no impact on you.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:19 PM

Your opinions are irrelevant to me. It's your place with the majority of people in this country who think they aren't ignorant and get upset when they get called on it that bugs me, because it's the reason people in other countries call for us to be "slaughtered like animals." If you've never in your life heard a song that you enjoyed that could be called "country" then it is because you are blinded by your own arrogance and/or ignorance to the point you can not form reasonable opinions solely via your own experiences. And by "you" I mean any person who can make a statement abot subjective things that leaves no room for exception. Lastly, it's silly to think I'm offended that you don't like country (for one, it's only a fraction of what I consider to be "good" music" and to fail to accept that I may not share your blindly enthusiastic rejection of something.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:30 PM

Dude, you crack me up. I'm not ignorant or arrogant about 'country' music; I simply have no better word to describe a type of music that I prefer to never hear other than to call it country. I could say instead that I can't stand: [then list all the songs that I don't like]. Or, I can make my life easier and say "I can't stand country'. Just about everyone will understand that statement, and associate the word country with a majority of the songs I would have other wise listed...

You helped us reach a new symantic-battle high in here...

Originally Posted by BANSUVs
If you've never in your life heard a song that you enjoyed that could be called "country" then it is because you are blinded by your own arrogance and/or ignorance to the point you can not form reasonable opinions solely via your own experiences.
How do you figure? Are you in my head?!?! How do you know what I do and don't like? Basically you are saying that it is unreasonable to dislike all of any 'group' of things...that's completely rediculous. I don't like any viruses, or any disease causing bacteria...does that mean I'm blinded by my own arrogance?

Last edited by MVWRX; 06-20-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:31 PM

Talking

nevermind, it sounded mean against people who sing a type of music I thought was called country...

Last edited by MVWRX; 06-20-2006 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Dixie Chicks