Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Diversity gone awry- Whites under-represented in higher learning

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 06:46 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Diversity gone awry- Whites under-represented in higher learning

Edited...
So according to the last census, whites (caucasians) comprise 75% or so of the U.S. population.

As I've been researching law program demographics recently, I've noticed an alarming trend. Whites typically account for 48% or so of students, give or take a bit depending on geographic location and level of liberal infestation.
Asians comprise about 30+% of top law school programs, though they are only 3% of the U.S. population!

What is the deal here? Are whites simply lazy or stupid, or are they being disenfranchised? There is no doubt that whites are under-represented in higher learning, and "we" are increasingly being left behind in the better paying jobs. Now I'm not talking about that minority of whites born into money or folks with connections like royalty or whatever... I'm talking about regular people and equal opportunity to get ahead. Why are so many whites being left behind?

Is "the man" sticking it to "the man?"

Last edited by HellaDumb; 01-27-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:51 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Is "the man" sticking it to "the man?"
That's a funny commercial.

Don't even get me started on the favoritism shown non-whites in college.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 AM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
So according to the last census, whites (caucasians) comprise 75% or so of the U.S. population.

As I've been researching law and MBA program demographics recently, I've noticed an alarming trend. Whites typically account for 48% or so of students, give or take a bit depending on geographic location and level of liberal infestation.
Asians comprise about 30+% of higher learning and professional degree programs, though they are only 3% of the U.S. population!
A lot of asians come here to go to college, so comparing US populations of asians to the populations of asians in graduate programs is like comparing apples to oranges....though making that kind of inappropriate argument doesn't usually bother you.

also:

Originally Posted by salty
So from this point forward... if you post a lame thought without substantial evidence, historical evidence or any source (even a source from Oregon college students will do) I’ll just lock it and let it die.
Post your source, or STFU.

Edit: Never mind...you are full of shyte....as usual.

Originally Posted by GMAC survey
The GMAC’s 2002 Global MBA Survey of graduating MBA classes states that “Among US citizens who were asked their race/ethnicity, 84.7% are white (non-Hispanic). Asian Americans make up the next largest group at 6.7%, followed by Hispanics (4.5%) and blacks/African Americans (4.1%).”

According to Business Week, the number of underrepresented minorities (African American, Hispanic American and Native American) currently enrolled at the top 30 schools averages 9.6%. In contrast, nearly 40% of minority b-students attend traditionally black business schools. The precise numbers vary with each program, but business school advisors should be familiar with the percentages.

Last edited by lojasmo; 01-27-2006 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by lojasmo
A lot of asians come here to go to college, so comparing US populations of asians to the populations of asians in graduate programs is like comparing apples to oranges....though making that kind of inappropriate argument doesn't usually bother you.
Inappropriate? WTF? Did I tread somewhere I wasn't supposed to in your liberal PC eyes?
So are you saying a lot of whites from Europe or elsewhere don't come here for college? Ok captain obvious!
Post your source, or STFU.
I already said Law and Grad school demographics and last census (2000) you f'n fact-blind m'fer!"
Assuming you aren't completely inept at finding the data, start here for law schools: http://www.lsac.org/
Edit: Never mind...you are full of shyte....as usual.
Still not figured out that liberal insanity has led our country astray I see.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 01-27-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:43 AM

I already said Law and Grad school demographics and last census (2000) you f'n fact-blind m'fer!"
No you didn't. You cited the census. You never cited a source for your (bullshyte, debunked) claims about minority enrollment.

Originally Posted by GMAC survey
The GMAC’s 2002 Global MBA Survey of graduating MBA classes states that “Among US citizens who were asked their race/ethnicity, 84.7% are white (non-Hispanic). Asian Americans make up the next largest group at 6.7%, followed by Hispanics (4.5%) and blacks/African Americans (4.1%).
Originally Posted by Business week
the number of underrepresented minorities (African American, Hispanic American and Native American) currently enrolled at the top 30 schools averages 9.6%. In contrast, nearly 40% of minority b-students attend traditionally black business schools. The precise numbers vary with each program, but business school advisors should be familiar with the percentages.
Idiot

Last edited by lojasmo; 01-27-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Oh wow, you guys need to knock off the name calling, it really makes it so that nobody even wants to take your posts seriousley.

The school I go to is about 40% black, 20% latino, 40% whitey and about 10 percent Asian.

I think this is kinda wierd because the county I live in(under 200k residents) is more like 45% latino (35% of wich are documented ), 45% white, 9% asian and maybe 1% black.

Just my observation.

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 01-27-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:27 AM

Idiot
Did you read the quotes you provided? Keyword here is "asked."

I know you aren't that stupid.

Take a look at actual demographics from school reporting, not unscientific surveys with a liberal agenda. We all know that latinos, American-Indian, and blacks are under-represented, but now we've under-represented whites in the best schools... how is that progress?

Sorry if I humiliated you... everyone makes mistakes .

Last edited by HellaDumb; 01-27-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:14 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
I looked up some MBA programs.
UCLA: 7% minority fr/US, 25% international (=68% white fr/US)
Stanford: 25% minority fr/US, 3% international (=72% white fr/US)
no stats on webpage: Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, UCSD

I got bored of searching after that. Both schools I found that did give stats show that they have almost exactly the right % of whites from the US...and remember that the international students probably have some caucasions as well.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by MVWRX
I looked up some MBA programs.
UCLA: 7% minority fr/US, 25% international (=68% white fr/US)
Stanford: 25% minority fr/US, 3% international (=72% white fr/US)
no stats on webpage: Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, UCSD

I got bored of searching after that. Both schools I found that did give stats show that they have almost exactly the right % of whites from the US...and remember that the international students probably have some caucasions as well.
Look at the law programs at those schools.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:46 AM

UCLA J.D. - 30% minority
Harvard J.D. - 31% minority
Yale J.D. - 36% minority

And since UCLA has a very convenient way to look up their stats:

Neuroscience: 9% minority, 3% international (88% US white)
Biochemistry: 1% minority, 6% international (93% US white)
Physics: 3% minority, 29% international (68% US white)
Poly Sci: 9% minority, 20% international (71% US white)
ChemEngineering: 6% minority, 41% international (53% US white)
MechEngineering: 5% minority, 46% international (49% US white)

So basically, in difficult fields that lead to good jobs, whites are more than represented.

*The engineering degrees have high international numbers, which tells me more about the lack of math in our public schools than it does about minorities.

Also keep in mind that UCLA has an unusually large asian student body for an American school, and even with that the whites are still not underrepresented.

Last edited by MVWRX; 01-27-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:47 AM

Look at the law programs at those schools.

Of all the programs I looked at, law is the only one that could be said to have an underrepresented white student body...barely.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:52 AM

Not to mention that you give no hint as to where you got those law and professional school demographics, which seem to conflict with the reporting the ACTUAL PROGRAMS do on their own websites.

Last edited by MVWRX; 01-27-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:53 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
The demographics for law school should reflect a higher minority enrollment. Typically, minorities are more adversely affected by our judicial system. I can only hope that some minorities who enter and excel in law school will go back to their communities to advocate for change.

BTW, if ya'll want to look up minority percentages at every ABA accredited law school, click here http://officialguide.lsac.org/search...ts.asp?PageNo= and then click on the school you want to know the stats on.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:53 PM

Take a look at actual demographics from school reporting.
If you had provided a source for your assertion, I would have had no problem with doing so.

The keywords here are CITE YOUR CLAIMS.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:33 PM

If you had provided a source for your assertion, I would have had no problem with doing so.

The keywords here are CITE YOUR CLAIMS.
Hahha I may have to back-peddle on this one regarding MBA school, but my law school claim holds... I'll get back to you with the exact stats, and not some skewed exit polls and misleading liberal propaganda that lojasmo subscribes to.
The link to aba law schools is above. The census is year 2000.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 01-27-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Diversity gone awry- Whites under-represented in higher learning