Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Democrats didn't keep their word

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 03:20 PM

Car Info: 02 BRP 2.5RS-T
Democrats didn't keep their word

I was really hoping they would flee.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050804/...igration_col_1

Canadians can put away those extra welcome mats -- it seems Americans unhappy about the result of last November's presidential election have decided to stay at home after all.

In the days after President Bush won a second term, the number of U.S. citizens visiting Canada's main immigration Web site shot up sixfold, prompting speculation that unhappy Democrats would flock north.

But official statistics show the number of Americans actually applying to live permanently in Canada fell in the six months after the election.

On the face of it this is not good news -- Canada is one of the few major nations seeking to attract immigrants -- but Immigration Minister Joe Volpe was philosophical.

"We'll take talent from wherever it is resident in the world. I was absolutely elated to see the number of hits and then my staff said 'You know what? A hit on the Internet is after all just a hit'," he told Reuters on Thursday.

"I guess I'm happy Republicans and Democrats have found a way to live together in peace and in harmony," he said.

Canada generally tilts more to the social and political left than the United States.

Data from the main Canadian processing center in Buffalo, NY shows that in the six months up to the U.S. election there were 16,266 applications from people seeking to live in Canada, a figure that fell to 14,666 for the half year after the vote.

A spokeswoman for Canada's federal immigration ministry declined to speculate on the reasons for the drop.

Toby Condliffe, who heads the Canadian chapter of Democrats Abroad, did have an explanation of sorts.

"I can only assume the Americans who checked out the Web site subsequently checked out our winter temperatures and further took note that the National Hockey League was being locked out and had second thoughts," he told Reuters.

Last year, Canada, which has a population of about 32 million, accepted 235,808 immigrants from all over the world.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:08 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by svxr8dr
In the days after President Bush won a second term, the number of U.S. citizens visiting Canada's main immigration Web site shot up sixfold, prompting speculation that unhappy Democrats would flock north.

Didn't keep their word? As in, they said they'd do something and didn't? Or maybe republicans speculated that dems would leave and they were wrong...
Old 08-04-2005, 05:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Because that's why you frequent websites and other means of information on Canadian citizenship... to prove Republicans wrong six months later?
Old 08-04-2005, 05:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
so the gayness begins..
Old 08-04-2005, 05:47 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by Salty
Because that's why you frequent websites and other means of information on Canadian citizenship... to prove Republicans wrong six months later?

Checking out websites is not saying you will move. If the title of this thread was "Democrats think about moving to Canada but decide not to" that would be one thing. But it says 'Democrats didn't keep their word'. Which is BS, because there was never any 'word' to begin with.

Seriously though, Salty, what the hell is your point? I'm sick of online sarcasm...
Old 08-04-2005, 06:12 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
politicians are all bastages, and that's all there is to it. if a politician gets elected to the office of the president in 2008 i'm . . . oh damn.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:14 PM
VIP Member

Sorry for that sarcastic low blow...

My point is that you look for this type of information because you're entertaining the notion of moving. Just like you goto the travel agent with expectations to travel.

As for their being verbal confirmation and vows to move then you obviously have a very short memory since post-election. Even some celebrities threatened to move as a last ditch effort to sway the vote. Guess what? They bluffed and are still making ****ty movies and guest appearances on talk shows. What to know who else didn't keep their word? There's still hundreds of blogs on Google you can read for yourself: Clicky If you tell your wife you're going to the grocery store for milk and decide not to buy anything then your word has been broken. It doesn’t take a full grocery cart to be abandoned at the check-out line just as it doesn’t take a packed U-Haul near the Montana border. You gave your word verbally and failed to perform. Period. Turned out to be all hype from a bunch of poor sports anyways.

There were even instruction manuals offered to those interested in moving. You don’t exactly get to the printing press unless someone gave their word, do you?

Last edited by Salty; 08-04-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:16 PM
VIP Member

haha... third link down on the Google search:

Originally Posted by Riin's rants: I Can’t Live Here Anymore. I’m moving to Canada
Well, the fascists won, as I suspected they would. I don’t understand how this country got so conservative. It didn’t used to be like this. It’s not just politicians -- the whole population has shifted to the right. Why did 51% of the people vote for Bush? Why did a large majority vote to ban gay marriage?
There's a ton...
Old 08-04-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
haha... third link down on the Google search:

There's a ton...
on what planet were the majority of US citizens ever liberal?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:19 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by jdepould
on what planet were the majority of US citizens ever liberal?
The majority is liberal, unfortunately, many of them are under eighteen so they can't vote. As some people get older, they get mean and selfish....Grown ups need big words, so we call them "republicans".
Old 08-04-2005, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by lojasmo
The majority is liberal, unfortunately, many of them are under eighteen so they can't vote. As some people get older, they get mean and selfish....Grown ups need big words, so we call them "republicans".
the majority is not liberal, the liberals are loud and it makes it seem like there are more of them. i just turned 19, i'm neither liberal nor conservative. like many many americans, i consider myself moderate, and don't agree completely with either party. both parties feel the need to go to extremes for whatever reason, and they're completely out of touch with reality, along with the media, and most celebrities.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:20 PM

the majority is not liberal, the liberals are loud and it makes it seem like there are more of them. i just turned 19, i'm neither liberal nor conservative. like many many americans, i consider myself moderate, and don't agree completely with either party. both parties feel the need to go to extremes for whatever reason, and they're completely out of touch with reality, along with the media, and most celebrities.
The truth is that neither side ever wins by receiving the votes of a majority of our citizens. At best, a national candidate ever has 30% of the populace voting for him/her.

My previous post was a joke, youngster.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:26 PM

meh, personally i think they take extreme positions just to get attention instead of actually getting work done. IMO politicians fail to realize that they are being paid to do a job, but that's jsut me.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:25 AM

meh, personally i think they take extreme positions just to get attention instead of actually getting work done. IMO politicians fail to realize that they are being paid to do a job, but that's jsut me.

Honestly, I don't think most democrats hold extreme positions....especially the politicians. I see thim as a bunch of capitulating milqetoasts. :shrug:
Old 08-05-2005, 08:52 AM

Car Info: 02 BRP 2.5RS-T
Originally Posted by lojasmo

I was mean before I got older

Quick Reply: Democrats didn't keep their word