Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...
View Poll Results: Were Salty's actions considered "*******ish" and wrong in this case?
Yes. Violence is bad Mmmkay...
46.15%
No way. Damn smelly hippy deserved to be taught a lesson!
53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Critical Mass can suck it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:30 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Critical Mass can suck it!

Nothing wrong with peaceful protest.
Nothing wrong with blocking traffic.
Nothing wrong with being generally stupid and wanting to "bring it all down."

But to attack an elderly couple and scare kids!?!

Video of Elderly Abuse.

SF Gate Article

Last edited by FW Motorsports; 05-15-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:57 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
The dude ran over some bikes, and was apparently breaking traffic laws himself before the incident occured. You don't get a 'drive like a jackass' pass when you get old. In my opinion, the dude driving and half those bikers that were trying to exacerbate the incident should all get fines. The bikers who were the actual victims (the ones who were hit themselves or who's bikes were run over) should get compensation.

And the kids were part of the bike ride...definitely not victims, just present for an unfortunate incident caused by the combination of geriatric obstinance and youthful rebelion...it's a volitile combination.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Get the story right, the driver had a green light, at the time the light turned green the Critical Mass F***'os failed to get out of the way. As he kkrept forward, they still maitained their position. He contiuned to pull forward. The driver stated they forced to biked under his tires, the F***'os say he ran over the bikes. what ever the case may be this was not peaceful. There was a direct intent to "promote bicycle awareness". I can't believe anyone would take the side of the "peaceful protestors of berkley".
Old 05-16-2007, 08:00 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
drive over my bike and I'll break more than your f-ing windshield
Old 05-16-2007, 08:19 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by psoper
I agree with you.
However, witnesses present all indicated that the bike riders threw their bikes under the van.

Which is assault.
Which is endangering my life.
Which allows me to use deadly force on your bike throwing ***.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:28 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Did you watch the video? or read any of the stuff posted to the site you provided the link for?

http://bclu.org/20070511/quickfacts.html

Regardless of what some (certainly not all) "witnesses" might claim, I saw people trying to get away but their wheels were being driven over by the guy in the van.

All in all a bad situation, but critical mass has been going on for more than a decade here the the people's republic, I've ridden in a few and I've had my car stopped by a few of them, but I've never felt compelled to drive into a pack of cyclists or run over anyone with my car.

Bottom line is- both the driver and the confrontational cyclists were in the wrong, neither was doing the right thing- this kind of confrontational crap doesn't do any good for either side.

I think I would have preferred to see citations issued to both cyclists and the driver, rather than everybody getting away with such assinine behavior.

Last edited by psoper; 05-16-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
My sister took my Dad and me to a Giants game. She wasn't feeling great so I drove her Tahoe. I don't particularly care for SUVs but it was the only car that could seat all 6 of us. In fact I hate SUVs...

I stopped in Emeryville for gas and was about to turn right into the station. Two asshats stopped in the intersection with their precious expensive road bikes and refused to move for me. I had a pole to my right and moving traffic to my left. My dad rolled down his window and told him politely to “get the **** out of the way!” from the back seat. One was smart enough to move after being frightened by my goliath father. The other did not so I bumped him enough to get him off his bike. I then ran it over destroying it when pulling to the pump. I **** you not. I was already frustrated with Bay Area traffic, so...

The smart one urged the man to not approach the vehicle but he didn't listen. I got out of the car, my dad got out of the car and my sister's bf, a burly, tattoo covered booze fighter, got out. Dude walked away with his crushed toy without a word spoken. Never even took our plate or called the cops.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:26 AM

Then you're a bully, plain and simple. And an assh*le on top of it. I would never have admitted that if I were you.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:35 AM
VIP Member

And that's the thing... you would have waited for him to move until the opening pitch. There would have been diplomacy taking place in the intersection if it were you. I'm a bully for standing up for myself? He was the one that started it. I may be a bully to you but I’m also a hero to many for having stood-up to a hippy that thinks every world problem will disappear with bicycles and wheat grass juice.

Call me what you want but I'll proudly tell that story any day. :hand: :armee_smilies108:

Last edited by Salty; 05-16-2007 at 11:41 AM. Reason: had to add cool emoticons
Old 05-16-2007, 11:42 AM

Your attept at dplomacy was your dad's yell from the back seat? C'mon man. Did you even try the horn? Or ask him to move? It sounds to me like you took 4-5 seconds to decide to commit felony hit and run, because of your own assumptions and prejudices about this guy and his motives. And because you did that I'm SURE that guy has more respect for motorists in general right? Give me a damn break...you should have had your license taken.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by psoper
impede the flow of traffic and I'll run over your f-ing bike. I don't give a **** how many "share the road" signs there are. Bikes are vehicles and MUST OBEY THE SAME TRAFFIC LAWS (except for speed of course). If you're a biker and think the "share the road" signs give you an excuse to have an ego the size of the road, your ego is going to be crushed pretty damn fast. "share the road" either goes both ways or no way at all. I've talked to the bikers on my road that block traffic and they need some sense knocked into them. They think they are the most important thing on the road and everyone comes second to them. To block traffic because you're a biker and think you're gods gift to the world is just plain arrogant and should not be tolerated.

to arrogant bikers
Old 05-16-2007, 11:54 AM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
I am glad I don't have to deal with those asshats in SF anymore. They are a menace.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:19 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MVWRX
Your attept at dplomacy was your dad's yell from the back seat? C'mon man. Did you even try the horn? Or ask him to move? It sounds to me like you took 4-5 seconds to decide to commit felony hit and run, because of your own assumptions and prejudices about this guy and his motives. And because you did that I'm SURE that guy has more respect for motorists in general right? Give me a damn break...you should have had your license taken.
Of course we asked him to move. He stubbornly stood there for a good 1:30 before I advanced. He had a ****-eating grin on his face too. I can still see that face. Why am i the bad guy here? I didn’t run, he did. We filled-up at the station and bought snacks. Someone needs to stand-up to these people that think that can do whatever the hell the feel like.

What would have been the alternative? Me parking the Tahoe at the intersection and pleading with him? Apologizing for my right to drive an SUV? Please. Bottom line is you're too chicken **** and people like him need to be put in their place.

Last edited by Salty; 05-16-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:31 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Growing up in rural Sonoma County...which is north of San Franciso for you non CA types...I had more than my fair share of encounters with militant bike riders.

More than once, my vehicle was struck with tire pumps, feet, water bottles, rocks, etc.

In every one of these attacks, I went out of my way to give a wide berth around the pod of bikers. They chose to swerve towards me & attack.

And in every instance, I parked the car & showed the bike rider the error of his/her way.

Militancy needs to be dealt with quickly & aggressively.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:26 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
are bikers a huge problem out on the west coast or something? in boston theres just mostly couriers and the likes and they're not too bad.

Quick Reply: Critical Mass can suck it!