Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Commercials urging you to rock the vote?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 01:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Commercials urging you to rock the vote?

Here's my take on the issue and advice to potential voters:

If it takes P Diddy, Leo DeCaprio and Cameron Diaz's words to motivate you to vote--please do not vote. You are grossly uninformed.

Discuss...
Old 10-27-2004, 01:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Not that there's no hope for you: https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/californian-voter-information-help-you-decide-77285/
Old 10-27-2004, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
I think it is a good thing because more young people need to get involved in the political process. It affects everyone. I agree that it shouldn't take P. Diddy and other stars to motivate you but hey if it works then thats great.

It was always sad to me to hear the turnout numbers because so many people would die (and have died) just to have the right to vote that we get automatically. I remember when I turned 18 I couldn't wait to vote in my first Presidential election.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
I think it is a good thing because more young people need to get involved in the political process. It affects everyone. I agree that it shouldn't take P. Diddy and other stars to motivate you but hey if it works then thats great.

It was always sad to me to hear the turnout numbers because so many people would die (and have died) just to have the right to vote that we get automatically. I remember when I turned 18 I couldn't wait to vote in my first Presidential election.
couldnt have said it better!
edgar,
Old 10-27-2004, 04:28 PM

Gotta agree with Salty. Democracy is good but do we really want a generation of semiliterate stoned slackers making important decisions?
Old 10-27-2004, 04:49 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by FUNKED1
Gotta agree with Salty. Democracy is good but do we really want a generation of semiliterate stoned slackers making important decisions?
I have to agree on this one too.
But just for the sake of argument. If a large % of the population is 'semiliterate stoned slackers' (go to any college anywhere and you'll see that there's lots...), shouldn't a true democracy reflect their poitical views also? I'm just saying that if enough people are stoners...then stoners are a demographic, even if they're not neccesarily smart (there are a lot of smart stoners though...).
Old 10-27-2004, 07:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by MVWRX
I have to agree on this one too.
But just for the sake of argument. If a large % of the population is 'semiliterate stoned slackers' (go to any college anywhere and you'll see that there's lots...), shouldn't a true democracy reflect their poitical views also? I'm just saying that if enough people are stoners...then stoners are a demographic, even if they're not neccesarily smart (there are a lot of smart stoners though...).

I keep telling you guys to go out and read 'The Irony of Democracy', but you just won't listen. All true democracies fail because of reasons such as you suggest. People get so stupid and lax that they vote in the wrong candidates who then use their own power for thier own good, not the good of the state.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...99208?v=glance

-Chris
Old 10-27-2004, 08:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
what really gets me is when MTV states facts about the canidates like yesterday the were stating facts about Kerry and i only heard on cause i got so damn pissed it was
"DID YOU KNOW? kerry has smoked pot befor"

what the **** does that have to do with anything?
eh
edgar,
Old 10-28-2004, 05:10 AM
VIP Member

You generalize too much. Not all of them are like this and even if they are just cause we don't like what they do with their lives doesn't mean they don't count.

If they want to vote Kerry cause they think he will help legalize Marijuana then that is an issue that is close to them. I can't fault them for that. By the same token I know a few stoners who are voting Bush because they thought the War coverage on FOX was way cool!
Old 10-28-2004, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
You generalize too much.
Which is, of course, a generalization.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:59 AM
VIP Member

Which is, of course, a generalization.
Of course! But do you see where I am going there?