Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

The CJCS is a brilliant speaker as well as a brilliant man

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
The CJCS is a brilliant speaker as well as a brilliant man

http://www.defenselink.mil/bios/pace_bio.html

Saw him giving a town hall speech on CSPAN last night. The guy has got it together and so long as he's my boss, I feel content that we're going in the right direction as well as can be expected.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:09 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
But he's a Jarhead!!
Old 03-15-2006, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
I used to think Marines were all brainless robots who've had a few brightspots throughout history but were nothing special, but after working alongside of them in AFG, my entire opinion has changed. My opinion is they aren't any different than you and I but they go about their operations on the regimental and higher scale similarly to how we do at BN and below.

Up until recently, brigade planning staffs and higher have been hamstrung wrt all of the assets they had to syncronise. Plans were generic and full of limitations. USMC doesn't have this problem. Since their MEU's are generally pretty sovereign to execute their operations as they see fit (which is usually pretty narrow focused - kill, defend, secure....) they are able to focus only on that. They had the Army to rely on to worry about the civil-military portion of the op, so they could focus on killing their targets.

On one op I watched (from the joint operations center) them execute, their MEU TF had over 100 confirmed enemy casualties in 1 day!!! I'd wager that that feat hasn't been seen (even in Iraq) since Vietnam.

With regards to GEN Pace, though. He's no longer a Marine...though he'll always be a Marine. What I mean is, he's obviously forced himself to see himself as responsible for the entire military, with no special bias towards the USMC. Further, I don't recall the last time I've watched anyone who is as thoughtful but still precise speaker. None of it was hyperbole. No ego shows through. He is truly a duty, honor, country guy without ever losing his identity and integrity, ie. he doesn't seem like someone who's thoughts or actions he's 'justified' behind duty, honor, country. He's not someone who's formed himself into a politician...much like GEN Powell didn't either.