Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

CA approves toughest smog laws

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 06:34 PM

Car Info: WR Blue 2004 WRX
CA Approves toughest smog laws

I'm glad these laws wont apply to cars already on the market
Old 09-24-2004, 06:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
2016 who cares
Old 09-24-2004, 06:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
WHY EXHAUST AND NOT ****ING MPG. STUPID SUV's THAT GET 8 MOTHER****ING MPG ARE STILL LEGAL...
Old 09-24-2004, 07:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by mexicanpizza
WHY EXHAUST AND NOT ****ING MPG. STUPID SUV's THAT GET 8 MOTHER****ING MPG ARE STILL LEGAL...
It gets worse, MP. In the new laws cars will have to clean up their exhaust by roughly 22-24%, where as the SUVs and trucks only have to clean up 18%! So the cars which wich are already cleaner, have to clean up even more than the more polluting SUVs, percenage wise.

-Chris
Old 09-24-2004, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
It gets worse, MP. In the new laws cars will have to clean up their exhaust by roughly 22-24%, where as the SUVs and trucks only have to clean up 18%! So the cars which wich are already cleaner, have to clean up even more than the more polluting SUVs, percenage wise.

-Chris

Given that over 50% of vehicles sold are now SUVs/Trucks this is even more annoying. Reducing cars emissions by 18% and SUVs by 25% would have a far greater impact. CARB is a bad joke.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:35 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

just another BLAH BLAH BLAH from carb...
Old 09-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by bassplayrr

-Chris
well the short answer is truck and SUV sales have been the only way domestic car makers have been able to compete with foreign auto makers now for years so trucks and SUVs always have and always will get a bit more consideration as far as smog and safety laws are concerned.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:03 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Another reason to buy used.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
dAMN! just think of all the cars that california will never get because of its smog laws that the rest of the country will get to enjoy...

shame...
edgar, :/
Old 09-25-2004, 01:56 AM
VIP Member

What pisses me off the most is that I know for a fact, that they could make it so SUVs get 20mpg instead of 12. Also, I hate these people that go out a buy an SUV that doesn't have 4wd and they put the thing on "Dubs". Why in the hell would you buy a SUV that doesn't have 4wd, it kinda defeats the purpose!
Old 09-25-2004, 02:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
Toyota is coming out with a Hybrid Highlander. It suppose to get over 30mpg. Thats double what SUVs are getting.
People who usually buy SUVs these days are only buying it for the security of being entrapped in a huge 2 ton box, not to go camping or off roading.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:59 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I don't understand how you can be pro-business and still support this (IMO) overly-stringent legislation:

"Among those supporting the regulations was Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's environmental protection secretary, Terry Tamminen, who said Friday he and Schwarzenegger believe California should do its part to reduce pollution. He strongly urged the board to adopt the proposals.

"We can make it clear that yes, we understand that our contribution, no matter how large or small, makes a difference," Tamminen said. "Every single action that we take - or inaction - makes a difference."

The proposals stem from a law signed by former Gov. Gray Davis in 2002 that required the board to set emission standards for greenhouse gases. The bill's author, Assemblywoman Fran Pavley, D-Agoura Hills, said Friday's vote marked the first time in the world regulations have been placed on vehicles for the specific purpose of reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

She said the fact the action had the support of Davis, a Democrat, and Schwarzenegger, the Republican who replaced him, "speaks to the unified effort among all Californians" to reduce greenhouse gases."

Thank you, California legislators. You set the (idiotic) standard for the rest of the nation and consumers pay the price.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 09-25-2004, 09:42 AM

Car Info: 13 BRZ Limited
Thumbs down

Arnold also signed into law a stop in the 30year smogless law. i.e. until now, all cars 30 years old became smog exempt. Now, it's only a pre 1976 car.

Also, Arnold signed into law that Hybrids get to go in the HOV (carpool) lane. So if that new Toyota 4runner (highlander?) hybrid comes out that gets 30mpg, you can drive that in the HOV lane, but not a '92 Civic VX which gets like 45mpg.

WTF?
Old 09-25-2004, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lorry
Given that over 50% of vehicles sold are now SUVs/Trucks this is even more annoying. Reducing cars emissions by 18% and SUVs by 25% would have a far greater impact. CARB is a bad joke.
I hope everyone remembers this in the next election when you choose state senators/legislators...of course, I totally didnt expect Arnie to sign off on such idiocy.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
haha suckers i will send you a post card from MD hahaha

i think it is good every little bit helps and lets face it these big companies need to get their **** in gear and start focusing more on hybrids and alternative fuels. Unless of course you want to be dependent on big bad terrorists for your gas supplies...

haha

im all for it i wish they were more strict..

Quick Reply: CA approves toughest smog laws