Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Because of the cultural diversity in the Bay Area (English language issues)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 04:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: na
Because of the cultural diversity in the bay...

I'm writing a essay for English, the question is, "Choose one country in which teh languages spoken are cause for political discontent, explore an issue." Anyways, I am focusing on bilingual students in the classroom. Here are some questions you can answer for me because I know there is so much diversity in the bay:
1. Do you think that students should speak on English in the classroom? If so, should immigrant or bilingual children speak fluent English before they can enter school?
2. The offical language in the United States is English, should people be required to speak English?

Any additional APPROPIATE commentary is welcome. I just wanted some other opinions rather than my own. Thanks.

(moderators, feel free to move to political forum if necessary)
Old 07-24-2006, 05:02 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Yes, I believe you should be able to fluently read, write, and speak english before you are given a HS diploma

During that whole HS exit exam, they were interviewing students in spanish, saying how the test was biased against minorities and all this BS

Well, if you don't speak the language that the test is written in, of course you can't pass it

English is quickly becoming the world standard, they teach it from kindegarden in many asian countries, so why shouldnt we hold ALL students here in the US to the same standards?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:16 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
I agree with what ucbsti said.

As for if people in this country should be required to speak English, I think that if you want to get a DL you should be able to read english. If you want to become a citizen or make this country your permanent residence, then yes, you should learn English.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:20 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
1. yes
2. yes
3. ywia
Old 07-24-2006, 05:24 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Sportwagon
Government should serve the needs of the people, not the other way around. And that includes supporting languages used by it's citizens.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
if you live here you shouldnt HAVE to speak english.. but if you are coming to the US to become a citizen, you should have to a apart of the process. not only does it show respect to the country by speaking its primary language, but its also our legal language. which is used in courts, and legal documents.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by drtofu
Government should serve the needs of the people, not the other way around. And that includes supporting languages used by it's citizens.
I see what you are saying, but there has to be a limit. How can we even think of giving a HS diploma or a drivers license to someone, who can't even read the language in which the test is written?

Seriously, how can you say you are proficient in math, science, reading, writing, etc, when you can't fluently speak the language that its all taught in?

And as americans, we are already taxed a ton, so we are supposed to be taxed EVEN MORE to support multiple languages? With all due respect, EFFFF that. If the official language is english, then if you want to live here, you should at least be proficient in english.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
If you move to this country you should know the language, instead of the citizens learning that new language, hence Spanish.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:41 PM

yeah, its quite astounding that there are 6 y/os...who were born here...who barely speak any english
Old 07-24-2006, 05:42 PM
VIP Member

I think it is important to learn other languages, but if you are a citizen and care to function in society, you should speak English. I am not bilingual, so because I can't speak Spanish, it's my fault I can't communicate with someone who is a US citizen and who also can't speak English?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:52 PM

Thats not your fault, it's theirs. How is it your fault that you only know the official language?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:05 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by ucbsti
yeah, its quite astounding that there are 6 y/os...who were born here...who barely speak any english

I have met people who has been in this country for at least 40 years and barely speak english. That is astounding
Old 07-24-2006, 06:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Regarding point 2: There isn't an offical language of the US. English is just the de facto standard, but there isn't a law or a constitutional ammendment for it.

There are support groups out there that are trying to change the law/constitutional ammendment so that English is the official language. Personally, I agree for the simplification of offical documents, because as it stands technically everything has to be written in every language just in case someone can't read it.

In another sense, multi-lingualism creates a very specific barrier for classes. The English speakers have the power in this country (for better or worse) and for someone not know English really limits upward mobility in society. I'm not saying its right, but that is the way it is.

Last edited by Nick Koan; 07-24-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by nKoan
Regarding point 2: There isn't an offical language of the US. English is just the de facto standard, but there isn't a law or a constitutional ammendment for it.

There are support groups out there that are trying to change the law/constitution so that English is the official language. Personally, I agree for the simplification of offical documents, because as it stands technically everything has to be written in every language just in case someone can't read it.
hmm, intresting, point taken. im trying to find quoteable research online, ugh, its taking forever.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by princesschels22
hmm, intresting, point taken. im trying to find quoteable research online, ugh, its taking forever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languag..._United_States
http://www.proenglish.org/
http://www.us-english.org/inc/
http://ask.yahoo.com/20011107.html
http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_lang.html

Quick Reply: Because of the cultural diversity in the Bay Area (English language issues)