Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Army offers 15 month enlistment!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 11:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Army offers 15 month enlistment!

Wow.

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...l?ESRC=army.nl

Great plan for those skeptical recruits that want to test the waters before making a longer comitment.

Gpatmac, Says 59 MOS's will be allowed including 11x. There's no way they're giving BAC and RIP contracts with that too, right? I remember people getting a 2yr enlistment with BAC and they said it was like pulling teeth.

Now the Army has narrowed the reason gap for those that are too scared to join.

Seriously though… it’s basically a maximum of a year in an actual unit. That’s insane! You’d barely have dirt on your TA-50 before it was time to clear your unit and ETS.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:17 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
<--- Still not joining and never will. Personally, I still have no incentive to join and probably never will. Pay for school? I'll do that myself thank you. See the world? I'd rather travel on my own. Just a personal choice.
-Jeff
Old 05-21-2005, 07:38 PM

And dont foget stop loss after ur deployed with a unit of action. which at somepoint you will be.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:33 PM
VIP Member

Haha. Not sure if you're served or not noxwagon but that's not a good enough excuse. I mean we all know the casualty rate is higher in rush hour traffic than it is in Iraq. So here we have someone serving a maximum of 21 months (27 months shy of a traditional enlistment) on a stop loss that probably won't happen unless they're in an MOS that's easily exhausted or in high demand? Not to mention a lot more tax free pay overseas without any means to spend it.

Whatever... this is what separates those that were skeptical from the rest.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
I don't foresee stoploss occuring again in the near future.

Salty, what it says is correct. It will be similar to the draft days, except for the actual draft.

Surviving in combat is derived from being in a good unit.

Good units stem from, among other things, cohesion and high esprit de corps.

Cohesion and high esprit de corps are an impossible feat when a guy arrives at your unit only to already be in his re-enlistment window and is planning what he'll be doing in 12 months.

I don't know at this point any details concerning a 15mo. enlistment and Airborne School or RIP. I have a pretty strong feeling, though, that you could get ABN, but no way in hell would you get an Option 40 Ranger contract.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:04 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gpatmac
Cohesion and high esprit de corps are an impossible feat when a guy arrives at your unit only to already be in his re-enlistment window and is planning what he'll be doing in 12 months.
I can see this point. I wonder how I would view and treat a cherry with a 15month enlistment as an NCO? Would I look at him as being perceptive or somewhat skeptical and a waste of time?

I mean I always though of those that did 5 or 6 as being stupid. Even if there's a slight increase in bonus it's not made-up in time. It's like jumping off a cliff blindfolded because you really don't know what you're getting into. Most I knew didn't get much as far as bonus was concerned either. Some may think of this as being “motivated” but I always thought it was poor planning on their part. Sure, most of them could stay in formation at a 6minute pace for 6 miles and maintain proper intervals during a long hump, but they were about as dumb as a mud fence when it came down to basic FM7-8 knowledge (among other things).

So if I had to choose a team on initial enlistment obligation alone I'd pick those that did 3-4yrs. This is if I had no PT, proficiency scores (etc) in front of my face.

Hopefully NCO's will be able to figure out these 15month recruits within a couple weeks. If they showed up to my unit with less than a 300 PT score and an attitude I’d have them doing common areas (and anything else) by themselves while I trained my men on new subject matter everyday. God help them too. If they weren’t running everytime a volunteer was needed I’d smoke them till they puked.

So I wonder if this will strengthen those that are obligated??? Personally, I can see it strengthening the NCO corps down the road but nothing else.

Last edited by Salty; 05-21-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:16 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Salty
If they showed up to my unit with less than a 300 PT score and an attitude I’d have them doing common areas (and anything else) by themselves while I trained my men on new subject matter everyday. God help them too. If they weren’t running everytime a volunteer was needed I’d smoke them till they puked.
I never thought of this. If there are a considerable amount of NCOs who do this, that could do quite a bit to decrease those kids' survivability.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by Imprezastifan88
<--- Still not joining and never will. Personally, I still have no incentive to join and probably never will. Pay for school? I'll do that myself thank you. See the world? I'd rather travel on my own. Just a personal choice.
-Jeff
freedom?

eh... that’s a pretty selfish comment on your part and your "educated-self" should be ashamed but then again you’re a selfish little **** anyways so I bet that’s to much to ask

edgar, :/
Old 05-22-2005, 10:38 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gpatmac
I never thought of this. If there are a considerable amount of NCOs who do this, that could do quite a bit to decrease those kids' survivability.
Well truth be told I’d let it slide on a 280 score. In that short of an enlistment I think the first impression means a lot more. Let's face it, a lot of soldiers arrive to their company with their hands in their pockets and don't reflect the last score on their PT cards.

By the time it takes an NCO to get the cherry to par with the rest of their squad a good 4 months has passed. And we still haven’t gotten to the part of if he fits in with his colleagues. Then the Reenlistment NCO is banging on that PFC's door soon after?! Why waste my time on this cat when I can direct my time toward those that have a good year or two left!?

Forget about all the training $$$ that have gone into this kid since he signed the dotted line. The Army is basically timing the reenlistment window to happen during one of the most crucial and stressful times of that Privates life. Talk about gambling on an investment we cannot afford. You're right in the fact it's a volunteer draft.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:02 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by zumnwrx
freedom?

eh... that’s a pretty selfish comment on your part and your "educated-self" should be ashamed but then again you’re a selfish little **** anyways so I bet that’s to much to ask

Not everyone is cut out to be a soldier.

I imagine in the big picture, lifers like myself who really care about the Army are probably happiest that those who 'have no incentive to join' never in fact enlist.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:19 PM

Salty ,iam currently serving right now and have been to iraq,for 2 tours and know people that have been stopped lossed for that deployment.iam an 11b and the stop loss is currenty in effect with my brigade. and belive me i dont mind going back iam looking forward to it not for the money,but to do what i was trained for.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:40 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by noxwagon
Salty ,iam currently serving right now and have been to iraq,for 2 tours and know people that have been stopped lossed for that deployment.iam an 11b and the stop loss is currenty in effect with my brigade. and belive me i dont mind going back iam looking forward to it not for the money,but to do what i was trained for.
Okay. What unit are you with if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-24-2005, 04:58 PM

sent p.m.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:21 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Originally Posted by zumnwrx
freedom?

Whoa, since when have you gotten so angry with me? Selfish little ****? Where the hell did you get that idea? Suddenly because I have worked hard myself and don't have to join the military to get those incentives I am selfish? Explain please.

Freedom?
Why should I fight in a war I do not believe in? Why should I give my life for a cause I do not support? (DO not get onto the subject of why I do not support the war. Let's just keep it on the joining the military side of things)

Please, explain to me why I'm a "selfish little ****" for not believing in something and not wanting to participate in something I do not believe in.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:35 AM

I would like to hear your reason for not supporting in the war. I understand its a little of the topic.it was brought up and iam just kinda wondering.Belive me iam not trying to put you on the spot.but soo much has been reported in the media,over such a long time.i just would like to know where people stand now.

Quick Reply: Army offers 15 month enlistment!