Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

All aboard lets set sail for fail.............Mr. prez

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:56 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
All aboard lets set sail for fail.............Mr. prez

looks like i will have to move off of this country were gonna become vagina's now!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090122/...r_wh/obama_rdp
Originally Posted by yahoo news
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama moved quickly Thursday to reshape U.S. national-security policy, ordering the Guantanamo Bay prison camp closed within a year, forbidding the harshest treatment of terror suspects and naming new envoys to the Middle East and Afghanistan-Pakistan.

"We have no time to lose," he said at the State Department as he welcomed newly confirmed Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton to help him forge what he called "a new era of American leadership" in the world.

He said his administration is committed to lead. "We can no longer afford drift, and we can no longer afford delay, nor can we cede ground to those who seek destruction," he said.

On his second full day in office, Obama moved to reverse some of the most contentious policies of his predecessor, George W. Bush.

By ordering shut the prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, closing any remaining CIA secret prisons overseas and banning harsh interrogation practices, Obama said he was signaling that the U.S. would confront global violence without sacrificing "our values and our ideals."

"First, I can say without exception or equivocation that the United States will not torture," he said. "Second, we will close the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and determine how to deal with those who have been held there."

The president and Clinton jointly announced the appointment of former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell, a veteran troubleshooter who helped broker peace in Northern Ireland, as special envoy to the Middle East. Former U.N. Ambassador Richard Holbrooke, who helped write the peace deal that ended Bosnia's 1992-95 war, was named special envoy for Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Obama said he would aggressively seek a lasting peace between Israel and the Palestinians while also always defending Israel's "right to defend itself." He called on Israel and Hamas to take steps aimed at ensuring that the cease-fire that's in place in Gaza will endure.

And, citing a "deteriorating situation" in both Afghanistan and Pakistan, Obama said that region is now "the central front" in the battle against terrorism and extremism.

"There, as in the Middle East, we must understand that we cannot deal with our problems in isolation," he said.

Earlier, in signing a series of executive orders in the Oval Office that included closing Guantanamo, Obama said his administration would not "continue with a false choice between our safety and our ideals," a slap at policies pursued by Bush.

The much-maligned U.S. prison camp would be shut down within a year, in keeping with a frequent Obama campaign promise. The administration already has suspended trials for terrorist suspects at Guantanamo for 120 days pending a review of the military tribunals.

Congressional Democrats welcomed the moves.

"President Obama is ushering in a new era of smart, strong and principled national security policies, and Congress stands ready to work with him each step of the way," said Sen. Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia, outgoing chairman of the Intelligence Committee.

But there was skeptical questioning from GOP leaders.

House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said it "would be irresponsible to close this terrorist detainee facility" before "important questions" are resolved. Boehner said these include where will the detainees go when Guantanamo is closed and how will they be secured?

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said such issues would be determined in the coming days.

"Obviously, what started today was a process," Gibbs said.

The president set up a task force that would have 30 days to recommend policies on handling terror suspects who are detained in the future and where Guantanamo detainees should be housed once it has closed.

Obama also signed an order requiring all U.S. personnel to follow the U.S. Army Field Manual while interrogating detainees and told the Justice Department to review the case of Qatar native Ali al-Marri, who is the only enemy combatant currently being held in the U.S.

Separately, retired Adm. Dennis Blair, Obama's pick to oversee the nation's intelligence agencies, told a Senate confirmation hearing that the manual would no longer be called the Army Field Manual but would be renamed "the manual for government interrogations."

Blair told the Senate Intelligence Committee the manual also will be reviewed for possible changes. It now outlines 19 legal techniques and forbids nine.

Blair said he hoped to rebuild trust in the nation's intelligence agencies. These agencies "must respect the privacy and civil liberties of the American people, and they must adhere to the rule of law," he said. As director of national intelligence, Blair will oversee the CIA, National Security Agency and other assorted intelligence units.

U.S. foreign policy in the new administration will be overseen by four former senators — Obama and Clinton and Vice President Joe Biden, who served together until after this year's election, and Mitchell, who served much earlier as Senate majority leader.

wow so what do we just let these terroist go free? i guess so come attack us again.

Last edited by shaggadelic; 01-22-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: swear filter so i changed the word
Old 01-22-2009, 02:01 PM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
I still mantain my opinion that people in this nation are too damn soft.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
You trying to stir the pot ****?

Politichat (next to religion) is the basis for some of the most epic online battles I've seen...
Old 01-22-2009, 02:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
I don't think anyone said anything about letting them go. I heard talk of moving the people that were going to be taken to trial to military bases here in the US.

Bush's administration has been trying to negotiate with foreign countries to take in the people still being held but determined not to be "terrorists".
Old 01-22-2009, 02:07 PM

Car Info: Honda with a wing =P
Either way, If or when they close those places, how you think the former prisoners feel about the us afterward ? Closing all places going to cause more backlash our Troops over seas than do good for our Country's image. (twocents)
Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ryball
I don't think anyone said anything about letting them go. I heard talk of moving the people that were going to be taken to trial to military bases here in the US.

Bush's administration has been trying to negotiate with foreign countries to take in the people still being held but determined not to be "terrorists".
i swear he said he suspended some trials let me quote it

"The administration already has suspended trials for terrorist suspects at Guantanamo for 120 days pending a review of the military tribunals."
Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shin RS
You trying to stir the pot ****?

Politichat (next to religion) is the basis for some of the most epic online battles I've seen...
if i don't stir it then who will?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
yeah real smooth move....let's just let go of the guy that admitted to planning the world trade center attacks. remember he admitted to it, he is not suspected.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:20 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by shaggadelic
i swear he said he suspended some trials let me quote it

"The administration already has suspended trials for terrorist suspects at Guantanamo for 120 days pending a review of the military tribunals."
suspend =|= cancel or let them go free.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suspend

All the above statement you quoted means is that they are postponing the trials for 120 days to review the cases.

Pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

Last edited by ryball; 01-22-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ryball
postponed =|= canceled or let them go free.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suspend
ok seriously we all know that it will get dropped.our courts are so ****ed up here. let me us my exprience for example when i went to court my court dates kept getting postponed and when he state was finaaly ready to continue we objected saying it was too long and guess what it got dismissed. that exactly what will happen here
Old 01-22-2009, 02:36 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by shaggadelic
ok seriously we all know that it will get dropped.our courts are so ****ed up here. let me us my exprience for example when i went to court my court dates kept getting postponed and when he state was finaaly ready to continue we objected saying it was too long and guess what it got dismissed. that exactly what will happen here
I guess we'll see, but personally think that the trial of these terrorists will be handled a lot different than your case with the state...

It's a pretty far leap to say he is "letting all the terrorists go".
Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
IF they do indeed get an actual trial at least Mohammeds lackey will go free, any information gathered by using torture teqniques is unadmicable in US courts. Mohammed himself will go down either way as he led the trade center atrack in 2003. What will probably end up happening is the trials will be held as a military tribunal, and they will be held and tried as operatives of wartime, thus waiving most rights.

Personally.... They killed 3000 people. Torture the pieces of crap until they are near death, get them better and do it all over again for the rest of their lives. They waived their right to have any humanity shown to them when they killed 3000 people.

As for Obamas actions leading to the closing of Guantanimo... It's something he said he was going to do in the ellection. Will this stop the military and CIA from doing whatever they need to in order to protect our country? Probably not. Will they make the stupid mistake of telling us where they are doing it next time? Probably not. So in the end nothing has changed... People just stop asking the awkward questions nobody wants to answer.

My 2c

Last edited by Krang; 01-22-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Krang
As for Obamas actions leading to the closing of Guantanimo... It's something he said he was going to do in the ellection. Will this stop the military and CIA from doing whatever they need to in order to protect our country? Probably not. Will they make the stupid mistake of telling us where they are doing it next time? Probably not. So in the end nothing has changed... People just stop asking the awkward questions nobody wants to answer.
truth.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:43 PM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
14 Tread Views, 13 Replys.......I predict this tread will be 5+ pages easy

Obama had to shut down Guantanimo Bay. If they don't, they were going to change the name to Guantanimo Bay "The Home Of The ****-Meat Sandwich" j/k

Last edited by Haole-Pino; 01-22-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:58 PM

Car Info: subaru
Isn't there a politics forum? This thread should go in there....

Quick Reply: All aboard lets set sail for fail.............Mr. prez