Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...
View Poll Results: Well?
Yes
28.57%
No
61.90%
Irrelevant
9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Agree or Disagree?

Old 04-13-2005, 12:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Agree or Disagree?

Please state why.

Originally Posted by Bush Jr.
"The toppling of Saddam Hussein's statue in Baghdad will be recorded along with the fall of the Berlin Wall as one of the great moments in history."
Old 04-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
I'd have to say no because Iraq isn't and wasn't nearly as powerful or important as the USSR was in it's prime of the coldwar.

We were never scared to be attacked on a global scale by iraq. Not to mention the influence that the old soviet republic had on the world that Iraq didn't.

I think it's a totally different situation.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:49 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Originally Posted by ericdared81
I'd have to say no because Iraq isn't and wasn't nearly as powerful or important as the USSR was in it's prime of the coldwar.

We were never scared to be attacked on a global scale by iraq. Not to mention the influence that the old soviet republic had on the world that Iraq didn't.

I think it's a totally different situation.
+1.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:58 PM
VIP Member

I agree that it's a "great moment in history." Had it been one of the "greatest moments in history" then I wouldn't have agreed.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
I agree that it is a great moment in history but comparing it to the wall coming down is not a good comparison at all.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:29 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
You should add the option "maybe."

It all depends on what happens now =)
Old 04-14-2005, 10:40 AM
VIP Member

Why not? It may not be similar in every aspect but I'd put it in the same category for certain. In fact, the fall of the statue may represent more than the fall of the wall in Germany. More people were killed by Saddam and the Baath party than those who tried to cross the wall from East to West Germany. Way more.

The only argument that can be used is how both effected us. It's too soon to tell in Iraq but it's beginning to look like a democratic presence was the correct approach in the middle east.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:09 PM

I think it is a "yes" because that moment radically changed the middle east and international politics. People are always unhappy when change is going on (just look at FDR's new deal policies), but in the long run, this kind of change is what we need. Now the people of the middle east have a chance of developing stable, democratic governments that will serve their needs and wants.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:30 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by subaruguru
Now the people of the middle east have a chance of developing stable, democratic governments that will serve their needs and wants.
Dont you mean serve our needs and wants???

I love the altruistic thinking behind our toppling of Saddam. Pick up a history book to learn how and why we take over other countries. It aint cause we are nice.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by dub2w

I love the altruistic thinking behind our toppling of Saddam. Pick up a history book to learn how and why we take over other countries. It aint cause we are nice.
We as American's have a wonderfully ethnocentric way of viewing the world don't we?
Old 04-14-2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by dub2w

Sure. And our need and want in this case is a stable and developed middle east, becasue that's the only way to root out terrorism. So our needs and wants match.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Dirty Redhead

Originally Posted by Salty
I agree that it's a "great moment in history." Had it been one of the "greatest moments in history" then I wouldn't have agreed.
I would have to classify it as a "moment in history" the great part will be seen if the new democracy in iraq has any effect on the world.

The toppling of the Berlin Wall was the mark of the Soviet Union falling which had huge shockwaves through the world. So far in comparison the statue falling has been lackluster in every country except iraq.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ericdared81
I would have to classify it as a "moment in history" the great part will be seen if the new democracy in iraq has any effect on the world.

The toppling of the Berlin Wall was the mark of the Soviet Union falling which had huge shockwaves through the world. So far in comparison the statue falling has been lackluster in every country except iraq.
What about Libya, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, and Saudi Arabia? All three have had democratic reforms since Iraq fell and had an election.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Dirty Redhead

What about Libya, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, and Saudi Arabia? All three have had democratic reforms since Iraq fell and had an election.
Have we seen any change in terrorism or hatred towards each other yet? They have the title of democracies but we still haven't seen huge changes. Those countries were also moving in that direction before we invaded iraq.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:54 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Sure. And our need and want in this case is a stable and developed middle east, becasue that's the only way to root out terrorism. So our needs and wants match.

Really? A hawkish foreign policy will create world peace? I will never buy into that logic. If you look at the seeds of democracy we have planted throughout Latin America, there isnt a lot of hope from where I am standing that our push for democracy (though most of us understand this war has nothing to do with democracy) will bring viable, positive results.

History doesnt have your back, guru.

One other thing... terrorists will always manifest. As MLK said, "Violence begets violence." Terrorists may not be from the ME in a dozen years, but they will always be so long as we perpetuate a violent world

Last edited by dub2w; 04-14-2005 at 03:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Agree or Disagree?