Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

2 Ford Brands Stop Ads in Gay Publications

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
Originally Posted by Salty
Exactly. But no, let's make it an anti-gay issue instead. People are so quick to judge and the fact this issue has gotten a lot of play with many liberal blogs is sickening to me.

a 2 million strong group of right wing christians threatens boycotting the company because of targeted marketing to the gay community. All of a sudden said company drops targeted marketing to the gay community.

1 + 1 = ??? <----ill let you fill it in
Old 12-07-2005, 09:03 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dub2w
Rumor has it Banana Republic will soon be taking the same measures...

:banana:

That will be the day... haha Let me guess you also heard armani and prada are going to do the same as well...
Old 12-07-2005, 09:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
I think part of the problem is that they have these advocacy groups fighting for anything and everything. It's just like NAACP - anytime an advertiser or public figure makes some kind of comment that could possibly be seen as derogatory or discriminatory, they're firing off letters and starting news conferences. What would happen if Ford stopped advertising in JET magazine? Probably all kinds of butthurt from the black community.

Another example would be when Lindsay Lohan called someone a retard, or said retard or whatever it was, and all the retard advocacy groups got all pissed off over her lack of PC.

There are a lot of homosexuals that are quietly so. They live their life and don't expect anything special, just like their are people of other races that live their life and don't expect special treatment based on their color or race. At the same time, there are a lot of homosexuals and people in other races that feel like they should constantly receive special attention and treatment because they are black/mexican/asian/whatever. IMO, those people ruin things for whatever cause they are supporting.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
a 2 million strong group of right wing christians threatens boycotting the company because of targeted marketing to the gay community. All of a sudden said company drops targeted marketing to the gay community.

1 + 1 = ??? <----ill let you fill it in
If this is true then it's still business! Although I don't agree with the tactics should this be true (there isn't any solid proof on the matter), why is it automatically considered an anti-gay issue on Ford’s behalf as opposed to the risk of losing more of an already sinking ship (Ford Motor Co)? If Toyota's life stood in the balances and they had to choose between pulling an ad or risk losing millions of potential clients during already rough times, then you can sure as hell bet they're gonna pull the measly ad!

Why make a big deal out of this when there's a dozen other car manufactures to chose from? The answer is simple: Don't buy from Ford if you're so upset about the matter!

It's as asinine as me getting upset over McDonald's more recent advertising campaigns that seem to be more centered around minorities. I wouldn't give a damn if ALL of their ads were centered around minorities, Dre! I don't prefer Carls Jr. over McDonalds because of this: http://www.i-am-asian.com/ .... I prefer Carls Jr because they offer a far superior product!

Originally Posted by sonicsuby
There are a lot of homosexuals that are quietly so. They live their life and don't expect anything special, just like their are people of other races that live their life and don't expect special treatment based on their color or race. At the same time, there are a lot of homosexuals and people in other races that feel like they should constantly receive special attention and treatment because they are black/mexican/asian/whatever. IMO, those people ruin things for whatever cause they are supporting.
Absolutely.

Last edited by Salty; 12-07-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:04 AM
VIP Member

their bidness decision was influenced by a political group.. (the 2 million strong family groups).

That is why they can get away with saying it was a bidness choice... and not bullying..
Old 12-07-2005, 11:24 AM
VIP Member

But you still miss my point. It is a business move because Ford's stability is already in the rafters.

In one hand it means pulling an ad that upsets people that are probably not going to buy a Ford anyways as there's a dozen other car manufactures to choose from. In the other had there's the certainty of upsetting a huge figure that will absolutely not buy a Ford which will further cripple sales. As the CEO of a company, which choice do you make so Bob Crachit and Tiny Tim can survive? What’s your best interest as a businessman?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:29 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Sometimes discrimination is a good business move...doesn't mean it should be done. Oh wait...you're conservative, I forgot you guys like to let business figure out how to make money and THEN try to be moral.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

Come on, MVWRX... You mean to tell me you'd take a moral stance as opposed to a business stance when your company is already on loose gravel regarding sales?

Easier said than done, my friend. Let me ask you this... How many times have you chewed out your boss or argued with him/her because you thought you were right? You most likely bit your tongue because you feared losing your job.

Try carrying the burden of laying-off of a thousand workers because Billy Bob and his 2,000,000 cronies refuse to buy trucks from you anymore.

Last edited by Salty; 12-07-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:49 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Actually I work in an academic environment and I'm encouraged to challange the ideas of my superiors...I get in excited discussions (PC for arguments) with my boss all the time.

Plus, we don't know if Ford would have actually lost any sales because of the commercials. We only know that some biggots were pissed and made some hollow threats which caused Ford to backtrack in double time. If I was at Ford, and someone in my marketing dept said we should make adds for gay people, and we did, I would let them run until my people could evaluate the effects they had on sales (+ and -)...I wouldn't be coersed by a group of homophobic religious nuts.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:33 PM

I just have one question here... How come so many conservatives seem to be so intimately familiar with the advertisements in gay publications?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
ROI. Are gays buying fords, or sticking with Subarus? If ads aren't paying off, pull 'em.
I don't think it has anything to do with what they are purchasing really. Not too long ago Ford annoucned here in Michigan that it was extending all benefits that straight couples got to Gay couples as well, they donated a huge amount to the gay and lesbian community center in Ferndale. Then the American Family Association got their panties in a bunch and wanted to organize a boycott of Ford products because they support gay rights by giving equal benefits, etc. etc. Of course Ford doesn't need this sort of thing now a days being that they are in serious financial trouble so they made a deal with the AFA to stop the boycott and they would pull their ads in the Gay and Lesbian publications.

It's stupid that a group like AFA has nothing better to do with their time than to go after a company like Ford that is leading the way in workplace equality. Why don't they go after the priests that molest little boys? Why don't they go after the hundred of thousands of people that are really ruining the sanctity of marriage by getting divorced and married 3 or 4 times?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:51 PM
VIP Member

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/f/ford-gays.htm

A little information for you guys
Old 12-07-2005, 01:54 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MVWRX
Plus, we don't know if Ford would have actually lost any sales because of the commercials. We only know that some biggots were pissed and made some hollow threats which caused Ford to backtrack in double time. If I was at Ford, and someone in my marketing dept said we should make adds for gay people, and we did, I would let them run until my people could evaluate the effects they had on sales (+ and -)...I wouldn't be coersed by a group of homophobic religious nuts.
Tru dat!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 02:44 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
They chose to cater to those that are paying them the most. Big deal.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:19 PM
VIP Member

Actually I work in an academic environment and I'm encouraged to challange the ideas of my superiors...I get in excited discussions (PC for arguments) with my boss all the time.
This wasn't necessarily a question regarding your current position. If you just so happen to have one of the only jobs in the world that allows for open discussions then put yourself in the shoes of the other million jobs in this country.

This is all complete hearsay. You have no idea if they did this or not. I'd like to think a booming car manufacturer on thin ice regarding sales would be **** tight with their marketing dept, don't you? It’s a necessity to have every bell and whistle regarding the performance of ads just to try and stay on the cutting edge with competition.

Quick Reply: 2 Ford Brands Stop Ads in Gay Publications