Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

$2000 Debit Cards

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 09:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
$2000 Debit Cards

"In Washington, the Bush administration announced Wednesday that dispossessed victims of Hurricane Katrina will receive debit cards good for $2,000 to spend on clothing and other immediate needs. The plan was to quickly begin distributing the cards, starting with people in major evacuation centers such as the Houston Astrodome."

Seems to be floating around a few articles I’ve read. The link on this article didn't work without registration, so...

This system is doomed to fail into a cesspool of fraud, waste, and abuse. We just witness people stealing $2000 30lb plasma televisions without any means of electricity or market to sell them and now we’re giving them 2"X3" plastic cards worth $2000 a pop? Brilliant! I can picture people selling their cards for $500 ($1500 profit for buyer) just to get drugs. I wonder if they'll work like a regular ATM? If that's the case then it'll be very bad
Old 09-09-2005, 10:16 AM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Yea, I agree. Granted though, there are families that will use it wisely. Like all the smart people that did whatever it took to evacuate when they were told to. However, when you hand cash to a crack head, they just buy more crack and smoke themselves to death.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:47 AM
VIP Member

When I was in basic training we had AAFES cards worth a few hundred. They only worked at the AAFES clothing and sales for various hygiene products and necessities. Anywhere else they were worthless. Too bad they can't set-up something like that in conjunction with local stores.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
10 bucks says it will take the russian mob a week to work an angle on this..
Old 09-09-2005, 12:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
I'd probably want a couple forties after what happened too.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
10 bucks says it will take the russian mob a week to work an angle on this..

That reminds me... I need to call the cordova area recyclers for parts for my wife's car.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:49 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Salty
That reminds me... I need to call the cordova area recyclers for parts for my wife's car.
That is hilarious. Having lived in Sac, I know what you are talking about!

Old 09-09-2005, 04:00 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Program cancelled. Just broke on CNN.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:00 PM
VIP Member

What's even worse is the last time I was in D.C. not too long ago our Russian cab driver from the airport asked where I was from. I said Sacramento and the first thing he said was, "ohhhh... there's lots of Russian mafia over there." And like a jackass the first thing I say is, "Yeah, know any of them?"
Old 09-09-2005, 04:18 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
If it wasnt cancelled can't you imagine the few families that would use the cards for good being mugged by thugs looking for a quick fix?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:32 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by spedmunki
If it wasnt cancelled can't you imagine the few families that would use the cards for good being mugged by thugs looking for a quick fix?
What kind of assinine statement is that?

Oh, a racist one....never mind.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:38 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by lojasmo
What kind of assinine statement is that?

Oh, a racist one....never mind.
I don't think he meant it quite like that. Besides, given the desperate times, those that were thought to be incapable of stooping to an all-time low pre-Katrina, are doing so to make ends now. Psychologists and doctors warned officials about this very fact who have already seen severe cases.

I do not think it's a racist comment given the facts. Every pharmacy was looted and so where the hospitals. Even a few medic convoys were taken by assault when they were helping innocent casualties. During the initial stages soldiers got into fire fights with numerous thugs. They even sent in Special Forces, PJ’s and Special Boat Units there that were capable of high security and rescue at the PA/Paramedic level. Guess who are among those that did the street thuggin’? The same people that were going to get these cards. Maj. General Bill Caldwell was quoted as saying, “be prepared… some of these people are as well equipped as you are.” Likewise, 82nd troopers were quoted as saying the inside of the SuperDome is the worst thing they have seen. We’re talking about a unit that’s been deployed to Iraq three times already.

And it wasn't just a few people here and there. Have you seen the pictures? They looted the draws and shelves of the pharmacies and hospitals CLEAN. Individuals walked out with shopping carts and their arms full of popular "urban apparel" and merchandise they couldn't possibly use. It was the 1/3 part of the NO population that was poor. That's a huge, factual figure. The Mayor even mentions how some of these poverty stricken people were desperate for drugs ("a quick fix" as he calls it) in that long radio interview last week. Take your PC sunglasses off for two seconds!

Last edited by Salty; 09-09-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:43 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by Salty
"In Washington, the Bush administration announced Wednesday that dispossessed victims of Hurricane Katrina will receive debit cards good for $2,000 to spend on clothing and other immediate needs. The plan was to quickly begin distributing the cards, starting with people in major evacuation centers such as the Houston Astrodome."

Seems to be floating around a few articles I’ve read. The link on this article didn't work without registration, so...

This system is doomed to fail into a cesspool of fraud, waste, and abuse. We just witness people stealing $2000 30lb plasma televisions without any means of electricity or market to sell them and now we’re giving them 2"X3" plastic cards worth $2000 a pop? Brilliant! I can picture people selling their cards for $500 ($1500 profit for buyer) just to get drugs. I wonder if they'll work like a regular ATM? If that's the case then it'll be very bad
Yeah, it's bull****. I lost everything and they said I "wasn't eligible." Then I see other people who are unaffected checking online saying (they got approved) "I'm getting new wheels". Really pisses me off.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:00 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
Yeah, it's bull****. I lost everything and they said I "wasn't eligible." Then I see other people who are unaffected checking online saying (they got approved) "I'm getting new wheels". Really pisses me off.
THANK YOU!

Also like to say i'm very sorry for your situation. Sorry I couldn't help you more earlier.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
I wonder how many liquer stores/bars were looted?

Quick Reply: $2000 Debit Cards