Do I need an alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 PM

Car Info: 2008 subaru wrx impreza hatch back
Angry Do I need an alignment?

so get this, I have an 08 Wrx hatchback. Drove it on a semi dirt road this weekend one in which was muddy. no problem, I have all wheel drive right. Later that night while driving home, I noticed the rear of my car didn't feel like it was handling as it should. Now every time I take a corner it feels like it has more give and doesn't grip the road at it should.(my tires are not muddy at this point anymore) Is my alignment out? I have the right tire pressure as well. I thought it was the tires being under or over inflated because of the loose slippy feeling in the back. It almost feels like when I take a corner it takes my rear a second or so to catch up like it's not in real time. Almost like the rear could potentially slip out.

Anybody have this happen to them? If so your help would be awesome and probably save me some money if I can pin point this mess. I am going snowboarding this weekend and I don't want any surprises.

Thanks guys and gals.

Jim.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 PM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Do a quick shakedown test: with the wheel being checked raised off the ground and parking brake OFF, grab the wheels at the sides and push/pull/shake them to check for any play. Do this also with the top and bottom of the wheel.

The first thing that came to my mind was the sway bar. Maybe it got bent out of shape or was taken out entirely.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 PM

ok, I'll give that a shot. Thanks. yeah I'ts a stock sway and the end links didn't look damaged or the sway itself. I will lifting the car and do a shake test on the tires.

Thanks again,
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
It just feels like you aren't getting any grip?

I had a similar feeling after going through the mud in my car. I just figured it was some mud still in the tread of the tires. After a bit of driving the grip came back.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 PM

I just got new tires put on it today because I thought that was it. (needed em soon anyways) but when I corner it feels like it doesn't grip/ handle like it's supposed to. Feels like the rear is soft now when I corner. Like when you take a corner and think your tires are really low.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:58 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by urabus78
I just got new tires put on it today because I thought that was it. (needed em soon anyways) but when I corner it feels like it doesn't grip/ handle like it's supposed to. Feels like the rear is soft now when I corner. Like when you take a corner and think your tires are really low.
Did you go with a different tire? This is pretty common if you get a less grippy tire than you had before or even just one with a taller tread depth.

I changed my tires out from SUPER bald tires to one with a pretty deep tread and it took some getting used to because I was so used to NO tread flex at all.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 PM

Car Info: 335i & S1000RR
Originally Posted by eclipsefirenos
Do a quick shakedown test: with the wheel being checked raised off the ground and parking brake OFF, grab the wheels at the sides and push/pull/shake them to check for any play. Do this also with the top and bottom of the wheel.
Did you try this yet? Compare the up/down resistance between the left and the right. You might have a blown shock.