anyone try the new 2009+ wrx swift springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 PM

Car Info: 2009 wrx
anyone try the new 2009+ wrx swift springs?

as the thread title states, anyone try the new 2009+ wrx swift springs? they're part number SWFT-4F909. i think they came out in late april, and i haven't read many reviews on them yet. anyone with experience with these? or if anyone has links to reviews or have heard things about em, those would help as well.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
no, but I heard the Epic Engineering springs are pretty dope
Old 07-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Car Info: 2009 WRX WRB
few people here on the forums have swifs for their 09's

also look on 3gwrx.com thers a fat review on it there for the 09 model
Old 07-08-2010, 12:37 PM

thanks for the info, guys
Old 07-18-2010, 01:45 PM

well i got em. i'm pretty happy with the drop and feel of them. on big bumps and very uneven surfaces, i'm wanting a little more damping than the stock struts can provide, but on fairly normal roads, they feel pretty good. if anyone cares for more detail, i'd be happy to provide them.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
I care about more detail, haha.

before/after pics? how do they do on low speed stuff like speed bumps? have yo udont any other suspension mods?
Old 07-19-2010, 04:01 PM

i have a before shot. i'll try to take an after shot from a similar angle when i can find decent lighting (i use my droid phone to take pics. not so good)

i haven't had any issues with speed bumps or vertical clearance yet. the drop is around 1" on front and a little less on the back. i think there's enough height from the ground that it's still fine for dealing with speed bumps and driveways. i think the car was just that effin high to begin with

small bumps on the road are absorbed pretty well. the car feels pretty comfortable on normal to mildly-jacked roads. but it does hit pretty hard on potholes and big bumps. you get a pretty hard thud that you normally would not get on the stock springs. i'm not sure if it's hitting the bump stops or what, but it's a bit jarring. my lower back usually starts to hurt when the ride is too bumpy (for reference, it hurt driving in a g35 with sport suspension...), but it seems fine with these springs.

at higher speeds and bumpier roads, the car does have more bounce than i'd like, but i think i'm okay with how it is, as long as the shocks don't killed ridiculously fast. if they are as bad as KGMAN (below) says, i may end up getting new struts with better damping. but i'd only really get them if the stock struts aren't up for the job.

i have a lower chassis brace, front strut tower bar, and sway bars on the front and rear. the sway bar sizes are 23mm (up from 21mm) on front and 20mm (up from 16mm i think?) on rear. the springs do add an extra level of rolling resistance on top of the sway bars. it's a lot less dramatic than when i replaced the sway bars, but it's a pretty decent gain.

i'll get the before/after pics up as soon as i can, but they look pretty similar to the epic springs in terms of drop. the front and rear look pretty even in terms of the distance between tire and fender.

overall, i think the springs are good. the drop looks nice. it makes the stock height look weird in comparison (especially with the front having a bigger gap than the rear). good normal road absorption/comfort with not that great bad road absorption/comfort. could use some stronger damping, but i can live without it. adds small driving-feel value driving the twisties (the gains might be more noticeable with stock sway bars). no clearance issues yet.

Last edited by donkeykong; 07-26-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added bit about the bouncing
Old 07-20-2010, 12:35 AM

The pics are not that great, but hopefully it will be enough for you to see the difference.

Before:

After:

Old 07-21-2010, 07:28 AM

Car Info: WRX2010
I put the swift springs on my 2010 WRX. But the stock shocks and struts are not going to work. The car has a lot of rebound and the rear shock has gone out already. You have to install new shocks and the only people out there making shocks are koni. And I am on a list to wait. It might be September before they are released. Right now the car does not do well at speed and bumps I am hoping the shocks will help.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by KGMAN
I put the swift springs on my 2010 WRX. But the stock shocks and struts are not going to work. The car has a lot of rebound and the rear shock has gone out already. You have to install new shocks and the only people out there making shocks are koni. And I am on a list to wait. It might be September before they are released. Right now the car does not do well at speed and bumps I am hoping the shocks will help.
awww... i was hoping the stock struts would hold out better. how many miles did you have when you put the springs on and at how many miles did the struts fail?

i was thinking about getting struts too, but i haven't been able to find many. i think i saw one by gtworx, but those seem like they're pretty pricey at something like $900. $300 springs + $900 struts is too much for me to spend on this :\

how much are the koni ones?