Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Wagon Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:25 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX Wagon
Wagon Suspension?

Anyone who has upgraded/aftermarket wrx wagon suspension please share your findings. What components are you using? what do you like/dislike about it? i am trying to gather information to help narrow my decision on what to get. thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
What are you planning to use the wagon for? Are you tracking, auto-x'ing, spirited driving, daily driving?

What other suspension stuff have you done? Sway bars? Endlinks? Wheels and Tires?

I don't drive a wagon by any means, but I can tell you that the cheapest suspension thing you can do is sway bars. Personally, wheels and tires are the first/best thing in my opinion, but most of us don't really have $1000 to shell out. After that shocks and springs or a coilover set-up. Keep in mind that shock and springs are more or less set-up and go. Coilovers have more settings that you can play with. That can be a good or bad thing. Might bite you in the *** if you don't set it up correctly. From experience, Shocks and Springs are generally smoother. There are coilover set-up's that ride like butter, but the majority will give you a more stiff ride. If you are just daily driving and doing spirited driving, go with shocks and springs. Nicer ride, warranty on the shocks. If you are planning to do a lot of motorsports, go with the coilovers. The adjustments will come in handy.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:32 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
My .02 +

You asked for set up. I drive my car pretty hard and do occasional auto-x in my '05 wagon. This is my current and best set-up thus far (having run GR-2 struts and even a run with coil overs).

Swift Wagon Specific Springs (drops abuot 1.2")
Tokico Spec D Struts (Infinite Adjustment ~ 7 Turns)
RCE Lowering Camber Plates (Front)
Group N Tophats (Rear)
Perrin Anti Lift Kit
I.P.D./RalliTEK Sway Bars (7/8" Front/3/4" Adjustable Rear)
Alignment (-.8 Front/-1.5 Rear Camber ~ Toe and Caster Factory Settings)

The ride is firm, yet not bouncy. There is a slight slap on sharp bumps and a bit of 'tramming' (due to negative camber). The thing drives and corners like it's on rails and every bit as sharp on turn in as the coilover setup.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:04 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX Wagon
well the big thing is i used to have an 06 EVO and loved it. It handled amazing stock and unfortunately i totalled it so now i have a 2006 WRX Wagon but this body roll is hard to live with. i am a college student and the car is a daily driver so over the top mods and prices is not for me. i was thinking of getting the whiteline front and rear swaybars. im not sure what size to get though and if its worth getting the adjustable one in front as well? i heard that the endlinks can make the difference so i would replace front and rear endlinks as well as swap out the stock springs for the Swift springs? does this sound like a decent setup for daily spirited driving and some canyon stuff? thanks again
Old 01-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
24mm front and rear adjustable. Do that first. If you still don't like it, then shocks and springs. You have to keep in mind that the WRX, in no ways, has suspension to the level that of an STi or an Evo. The Evo being more race tuned/prepped out of the factory than the STi, and the STi more raced prepped than the WRX. You might also want to consider the Whiteline subframe bolts ($30-$35).
Old 01-19-2008, 06:08 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Wink

I'd say if you want anything close to EVO handling, the bars alone will not cut it! Do the springs too and you might be close. If you want to keep cost down, you can run with KYB non-adjustable GR-2s... the springs with stock struts will be a bit bouncy. With the GR-2's it is a happy marriage with the Swift.

Swift are wagon specific (no *** sag)!

Last edited by NW OBS; 01-19-2008 at 06:16 PM.