Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Tokico D-Spec struts review

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 09:12 AM

Car Info: 05 silver 2.5 RS
Tokico D-Spec struts review

Ebay buy for about $525

Had to buy strut spacers for the rear from TIC to make it work with 04-05 setup. Struts came with the adjustment screw and paperwork (didnt come with stickers or decals booo!).

Installation was simple, just like replacing any other suspension struts. All brackets were accurate and fit was great. Currently mated with Tein S-techs.

Full soft is 7.5 turns from hard, counter-clock wise. Tokico suggests setting the D-spec to 5 all around for street use. The very next day I went for a nice run through the twisties with the 5 setting. I can definitely feel the difference in responsiveness and ride quality from stock. Turn-ins were great, accel and deccel were amazing through the turns. I especially like the ride quality over small bumps. With stocks, it was a nightmare to drive through them; these are great, though you still feel it. I dialed it to soft (7 turns from hard) and it is quite bouncy, but not as harsh as worn out struts. I still need some tuning but for now I like the overall feel of the system. Only PITA is getting to the rears to adust them.

I'd recommend these as an alternative to agx and coilovers if your on a budget. It gives you some adjustability without going full on.:bananen_smilies044:
Old 12-21-2007, 12:40 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
Just curious how they are holding up? I'm considering them to replace my AGX's as one of them may be blown.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:39 PM

they are holding up nicely. Ive pretty much kept it at a setting 6 and they feel neutral.

I recently hit a random pot hole on my way back from Sac on 680, i bent the rim but the strut held up well. Very responsive.

I cant really make a comparison from an AGX setup but Im sure that the D-specs will be just as good (at least for the streets).
Old 12-23-2007, 12:22 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX Wagon
how are these in comparison to the Koni Yellows?
Old 12-23-2007, 07:58 AM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Thumbs up

I have rolled on KYB GR-2', AGX and coil overs. I can safely say the Tokicos make the AGX obsolete IMO. The adjustment is infinite (between 7 turns) and if you own a wagon the adjustment is a snap. I run 4 1/2 F and 5 R from full hard. It is a beautiful marriage with my Swifts and I also run RCE camber plates in front and Group N tophats in the rear.

The turn in with thi set up is just as sharp and accurate as the coil over set up... but, for daily driving the Spec D's are a WAY better set up then coil over for me!
Old 12-23-2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by NW OBS
I have rolled on KYB GR-2', AGX and coil overs. I can safely say the Tokicos make the AGX obsolete IMO. The adjustment is infinite (between 7 turns) and if you own a wagon the adjustment is a snap. I run 4 1/2 F and 5 R from full hard. It is a beautiful marriage with my Swifts and I also run RCE camber plates in front and Group N tophats in the rear.

The turn in with thi set up is just as sharp and accurate as the coil over set up... but, for daily driving the Spec D's are a WAY better set up then coil over for me!
Thanks for the mini review! Wasn't sure if the d-specs worked better with a stiffer spring or if the Swifts spring rates matched well to the d-specs dampening! I know that comfort level is different for everyone, I found that the AGX's with the 04 WRX Swifts springs to be very much a great daily driver, and occasional track day setup. I do notice a slight slight bit of bounce/oscillation on my AGX's set on 2 front and rear. On 3 they are much better, but becomes to stiff for the spring rate, and for daily driving ( me = grandpa). It needed a setting in between.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by adizon
Thanks for the mini review! Wasn't sure if the d-specs worked better with a stiffer spring or if the Swifts spring rates matched well to the d-specs dampening! I know that comfort level is different for everyone, I found that the AGX's with the 04 WRX Swifts springs to be very much a great daily driver, and occasional track day setup. I do notice a slight slight bit of bounce/oscillation on my AGX's set on 2 front and rear. On 3 they are much better, but becomes to stiff for the spring rate, and for daily driving ( me = grandpa). It needed a setting in between.
Yes, that 'bounce' is gone! The price paid, is a bit more of a 'slap' over the sharp/quick road imperfections... Still OK on the butt and kidneys everyday (I really am a 'grandpa'!).
Old 12-23-2007, 10:23 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon and a '04 Miata
Is the dreaded rear clunk gone with these struts? That will be reason enough to switch over for me..!!
Old 12-24-2007, 02:17 AM

Never had it... so, wouldn't know?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:49 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
my AGX struts squek like mad after letting a friend use them for a "rally" drive. they still work and no sign of leaks but the squek is annoying. I was curious about the d-spec struts since i'll probably replace these agx next year.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:07 AM

Havent had squeeking problems yet and Ive had mine on for about a year now. I plan to go about 7 when this summer hits and try it out on the twisties.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:12 AM

do you have any photos of your car on this setup? i'm curious about the drop.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:41 PM

OK, so I finally got the D-specs on today (thanks LICmotorsports)! I have an 02 WRX sedan and am on 04 WRX Swift springs. Initially they are set at 5 front and 4 in the rears I'll test different settings a little later. I've had many different set-ups incl. stock, Cusco 02Rs, AGX's w/Prodrive, AGX's with H&R's, AGX's with the above mentioned Swifts, and now these D-specs/Swifts. My goal was to have a suspension set-up that would be an exceptional daily driver, have a great stance, and be able to handle 1-2 track days a year. This set-up is perfect for my needs. The ride quality is better than any of the other set-ups I've had. There isn't any bounciness, and it seems (so far) to soak up these aggressive bay area roads. So my initial impressions leave me with a nice big grin. Sure there are other nicer set-ups (Ohlins fixed perch, Koni, etc), but I don't have that kind of cash. From a perspective of value + performance + comfort, this set-up is awesome.

Last edited by adizon; 01-26-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:07 PM

Talking

There ya go! Grandpa tested and approved x2!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:37 AM

I would love to get a ride on these struts with a decent spring. i'm currently running USDM STi Pink wagon springs and really like the height. it looks near stock but has a bit more umph.

Any other wagons out there with this setup?

Quick Reply: Tokico D-Spec struts review