Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Suspension plans

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 11:27 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
If I were to go all out and remain a daily driver, I would go with some DMS Rally 50mm's with Street Valving. I have heard nothing but praise for that set up, even for driving around towns with potholes.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:51 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
That is interesting because the spring rates on the DMS 50s are like 300 on the front and like 250 in the rear or something like that. I think that the 50s for the street is a bit excessive. But in the end it is up to you. I suggest that you sit in a couple of cars to get what the feeling is like before you make a final decision.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:04 AM
NASIOC Slut

Originally posted by ImprezaRSDriver
That is interesting because the spring rates on the DMS 50s are like 300 on the front and like 250 in the rear or something like that. I think that the 50s for the street is a bit excessive. But in the end it is up to you. I suggest that you sit in a couple of cars to get what the feeling is like before you make a final decision.
The DMS 50mm spring rates come in various rates, including the low 200's if you want. The rally spring rates are much softer too.

BTW, my KYB AGX's have Ground Control coilovers. My car rides as harsh or harsher than most full coilover cars ive been in.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:08 AM

Man, You are probably the first person who have actually told me that the KYBs are harsh.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:17 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by ImprezaRSDriver
Man, You are probably the first person who have actually told me that the KYBs are harsh.
It's not really the struts, it's the whole system. No one component totally governs all aspects of ride/handling.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:28 AM

Yup. They all have to work together in harmony.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:19 AM

Car Info: MY02 GD WAGON, MY87 AW11
Another thing on the AGX's. Don't try to put too low of a spring on them, they just can't take it. From the 4 sets i've seen including the one set I had, they seem destroy themselves internally.

And about them feeling harsh.....i would have to agree on this. Compared to the Prodrive-Bilstein's or the STi Version V suspention set-up's of course, which are the only other strut/spring set-ups I have tested/used/raced.

From all the Spring sets I have used on the AGX's, The ones that I liked/seamed to work the best for me with the struts were the Tein Softs. They had (for me ) the right amount of spring rate for the damping the struts provided. The springs I used/tested with the agx's to come to this conclusion were : Eibachs, Tein mediums, STi Ver.Vs, Prodrives, and Cut stock springs.

All this of course is me. Your results may vary due to what you think a good compromise between street and track is.

-scubaru
Old 11-24-2002, 10:17 AM

Right now my friend has the Tein Softs and the STI Version V strut combo and he says that right now he feels his car is kind of low. You say that you should not put to short of a spring on the struts yet, I think that Teins are too low.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:47 PM
NASIOC Slut

Note: I also have to keep my AGX's at 2 front, 5 rear for street driving or I seem to get too much spring bounce. Folks with eibachs and softer springs on the AGX's can run them all the way down in settings.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:01 AM
NASIOC Slut

Re: KYB Coilovers???

Originally posted by SubaruFan
Anyone heard anything about the KYB coilovers? Good? Bad?
I'm posting for a friend of mine who's considering these and I haven't found anything on the forums about them.
I havent heard of such a thing... And I have heard about alot of things...
Old 11-26-2002, 09:41 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Re: first things

Originally posted by subaru_LOOKS
ok fellas,
whats the first thing you guys would get to improve
handling. i got a my95 gc8, but still searching what to
get first for around $200. Springs, coilovers, or a combo
of struts?
WOW, a '95 GC8! sweet! Haha, ok, you're probably wondering why I'm so shocked... the "8" is code for an EJ20. a rare beast indeed for a '95. Anyways, $200 is just about enough to get you somne Eibach springs, which work fine with stock struts, and you can add KYB AGX adjustables to them later for about $400 shipped or less, and have a really good car, better than most of what you will see on the street. A real coilover system, however, with adjustable, matched struts, will run at least $1k. Save that kind of thing for when you are really going to see a lot of track time. In the mean time, get the best tires you can afford (if that's a Kumho save longer), the Eibach/KYB combo, and a larger rear anti-roll bar, I'd recommend the Whiteline 18-20 mm adjustable. Set it at 18 to get used to it first, it will have a bigger effect on your handling than any other single component. After that upgrade your brakes with steel lines and slightly more aggressive pads, get a good exhaust system to suit your aural tastes, and pof, you've got a relatively quick N/A street car for about $2k spent on aftermarket.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:54 PM
NASIOC Slut

Re: first things

Originally posted by subaru_LOOKS
ok fellas,
whats the first thing you guys would get to improve
handling. i got a my95 gc8, but still searching what to
get first for around $200. Springs, coilovers, or a combo
of struts?
Dont listen to anything BAN SUV's said

First thing you want to do (I have a '95 as well, so listen up) is get a rear sway bar... But you have to get the rear control links with the spots for the sway bar endlinks to connect to, a swaybar (WRX wagon or WRX sedan will do great), Swaybar mounts, and Swaybar endlinks...

Then, if you have anything left of the $200 (cost me ~$115 for all of that, but I got the endlinks and mounts free, with the control links costing me $70 and a WRX wagon swaybar for $45 [too much], but I have since upgraded to kartboy endlinks $115, and a WRX sedan swaybar for $35) get a RS suspension for $150 or less (got mine for $50 out of sheer luck).

Both of those are great, cheap mods that made a WORLD of difference for not much money at all... Note: Your L struts are probably blown now anyway (mine were), so find cheap RS stuff if you can to replace it.

After that, you can start getting more expensive stuff if you want, like WHEELS and TIRES!!!

Quick Reply: Suspension plans