Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

suspension mods 03' wagon

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 02:46 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
in your shoes id go with the following:

adjustable rear sway bar and end links (i prefer Cusco sway bars) ~ $250
whiteline anti-lift kit ~$130
rear strut tower brace ~$140

the WRX wagons don't have the same sort of body rigidity that the sedans do, and the rear strut tower brace will work to correct this.

the rear sway bar will greatly reduce body roll, and help the car rotate and turn better without pushing the front end.

the anti lift kit greatly reduces front end push, sharpens the steering considerably and seems to work better the faster you go.

the total cost for the parts i've listed should be just about equal to, or less then the cost of the whiteline f/r swaybars, brace and springs. installation costs should be comparable or slightly less. after that if you feel the need to do more, i'd then buy the front strut bar, front sway bar, front end links, and only then look at lowering springs, dampers or coilovers.

you can take a look at the stickies in the suspension forum for more information on exactly how the sway bars and ALK will help.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:52 PM

Car Info: 02' Black Wgn
Talking Ahh, another wgn owner

I just threw some B+G lowering springs at my wgn. 1.4" front drop with 1" rear. The ride stiffened up considerably, good look as well. I also threw some 18x8's with 225 45's at her as well. The best thing to rid yourself of the body roll would be the rear sway, (perrin makes a really nice kit) as well as some CNC'd end links with the metal bushings. If your 03' is anything like my 02' she will repond nicely to these aftermarket goodies.That is my 2 cents.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:43 PM

i'd wait to get springs for several reasons. for starters, going to a shorter (i.e. lowering) with a higher spring weight while using stock struts isn't going to do wonders for the car's handling. spring rates need to be matched with proper damping from the struts to get the maximum benefit from them. too many people these days throw stiff, short springs on their car in the misguided belief that it'll make it handle better. yeah, it'll reduce he ride height and lower of the roll center, but you'll get a harsh ride that isn't well damped. some companies advertise their springs as working with stock struts. yeah, they work but you'll get significantly better resuls when you install struts or coilovers with better damping. just watch some lowered honda bouncing down the road sometime, and then imagine how much better the kid's carr would handle if it didn't bounce up and down every time that he hit an expansion joint on the freeway...

bolting on a set of endlinks, a rear sway bar, and an ALK doesn't comprimise the ride quality of the car like a lowering spring would, and isn't going to stress your stock stuts appreciably more than the stock pieces. you'll see a big improvement in the car's handling with just those. personally, i think getting the car to hold a line and not push the front is more important than the car's roll center as it comes from the factory.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:34 PM

the only aftermarket struts that i know about are as follows, in order of price (cheapest to most expensive):

Koni
AGX
STi/SPT factory 'sport' struts (the red ones) ~$1200
STi adjustable struts (the pink ones) ~$1700

i don't have any experience with any of the four, i'm about to order a set of Leda coilovers for my WRX.

i know of several differant sets of STi springs that are available, that would be a pretty good match for either of the STi strut sets. Ralli Spec sells the sport lowering springs, as well as the 'tarmac' springs, which are probably too much spring for the street. i've also heard of folks running the pro-drive or eibach springs with the STi red or pink struts with good results.

Cobb also sells their own rebuilt/revalved struts, but you have to send in your stockers in exchange -- i think they're like $1500 but i haven't heard of anyone here who runs them. i'd think they'd be somewhat comparable to the STi struts, but without the adjustability. Cobb also sells springs that are matched to the valving of their struts.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:32 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon
I have the Prodrive springs on my wagon with the stock struts. I could not be more delighted with the ride - it is firm, but not bouncy. My previous car was a MY2000 BMW 3 Series and although a little firmer than that, I do not find it harsh.